If you can only have one binocular magnification for hunting.

Brand-agnostic, which magnification do you lean towards when hunting: 8x42 vs 10x50? I'm mostly in a stand about 120-200 yds away from the feeder. I had both Athlon 8x42 and 10x50 with me to try out. I like the 8x when panning around the area looking for movements, but the 10x was handy once the buck/spike was closer to the feeder. The 8x was serviceable also for antlers verification, hence I'm leaning towards making the 8x my go-to. It's smaller and lighter also. Just wanting to see what everyone else is carrying.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I always end up grabbing my Maven 8x30. Seems like for general use they do everything pretty good.

OP
anthonytexas
Seems like most are opting for the 40's objective. I was always under the impression that 50 objective lets more lights in = better clarity with darker lighting. Guess quality of glass has a lot to do with it, too.

Seems like most are opting for the 40's objective. I was always under the impression that 50 objective lets more lights in = better clarity with darker lighting. Guess quality of glass has a lot to do with it, too.
Yes, the quality of glass and quality of the coatings can make a poor 50 look less bright than a good 40. This is why I say a high quality pair of 8x32's is all I really need. My 8x32 Conquests are as bright as 10x42 Viper/M7/Meopro class bins if not brighter.

OP
anthonytexas
12x50 all day but i'm not much of a bow hunter. No offense intended but if you're sitting a feeder does it really matter?
I think you meant "stand". If you're in a feeder, you got bigger problems. LOL. But point taken. Being in a stand I can usually get better stability for my arms, so the shaking that comes with a higher magnification isn't much of an issue. However, I do stalk sometimes and need the added flexibility. 12x might be too shaky for me in that instance.

TheGDog

WKR
Just one? 10x42 top-tier glass is all you need. You can see crazy far with good glass 10's and a tripod. (Even when your eyes are sh!t)

But if where you live it's mostly woodland/thicker stuff where likely handheld most of the time no tripod and closer-in, than very likely I'd go 8's.

Significant improvement in perceived steadiness when handholding w/ 8's. (notice I said perceived steadiness, you're still shakin' just not "seeing" it as much is all)

Yeah.. ya know... just like your clothing, I find I end up liking having options that more closely suit each different situation.

Q child

WKR
Between 8x42 and 10x50 - I would choose the 8s. Don't get me wrong though, 10x50s are awesome. 8x42s are just more versatile in my experience - due to their larger field of view, lighter weight and smaller package.
A lot of options out there though. As others have chimed in, I would probably go with 10x42s instead of either if I was to choose just one binocular to rule them all.