If you could choose one LR All Around stock.....and it needs to be Left Handed

Is there an answer to this? With AG coming onto the scene in the last few years, training behind McMillan and Manners.....and ruling out a Chassis. Is there one Be All-End All stock for a light weight rifle?

Not Ti crazy light weight, but most/all builders offer some Carbon variations to cut weight.

Cheek weld/Scope height is a huge pet peeve of mine. I see so many multi thousand dollar builds, only to be ruined by a scope mounted so an 5th grader could Limbo through the gap. Wasted effort.

I've handled a few Game Scouts??? that were just not quite high enough with a 50mm mounted pretty tight.

I've never owned or handled any of the A series stocks from McMillan and have ZERO time with any Manners. The AG Alpine hunter has most of my attention at the moment. As it simply looks to have plenty of height in the comb for goos cheek weld. And the turn around time is reported to be realistic. For that matter I've been hearing McMillan is really getting their shit in the same sock once Bob got to the helm.

This would strictly be a No Cheek Riser/Hardware stock.

Any guidance?

Last edited:
OP
J
Goal is a cheaper(yea Right) 6 Creed with a 22" tube. Walking around, steel, rock rifle. No 12 pound builds. I am fresh out of Lefty R700 short actions, so it may be whatever the cheaper Defiance action is....if they are still taking new orders

204guy

WKR
I just order a LH Alltera axial precision. Obviously be awhile before I have hands on, but they seem highly regarded.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get the adjustable hunter from AG, perfect cheek weld. Its not gonna add that much weight. If not, I think the AG stocks with higher cheek weld will work fine.

I have gone to a "jaw weld" and sold my Adjustable Hunter to save weight. I have found indexing repeatable and I push the rifle less during recoil if I am not laying my cheek on it.

I also have my scope mounted higher above the bore for comfort. I don't have to crane my neck, so I shoot more relaxed and it is much easier to get perfect eye relief and centering out any parallax issues.

You would probably not like how high I run mine. From precision rifle advancements, it has become clear that a higher scope makes much of the shooting easier and improves recoil management. The old argument about getting the scope close to the barrel is for a different style of shooting and different era.

This is a 44 mm tube and it is probably up more than a half inch. Never really checked.

20200325_161803.jpg

No complaints with the Mesa precision stocks for me. I own several of them. If you haven’t already started a lightweight LH 6 creed build w 22” bbl, I may have what you want. Pm me if you’re interested

WKR
Maybe put an adjustable comb on a game scout. My favorite little packing rig here.

WKR
Mines non adjustable, 42 mm mounted as low as I can get. Works good for me. Have an adjustable A-5 that works well with a higher scope mount. But if you are using a 50mm just get the adjustable Game Scout.

Take a look at the McMillan A3 sporter. Available in RH or LH, edge fill, and it has a higher comb than most of the non adjustable stocks. Got one on my 280ai and have been very pleased.

Antares

WKR
Sound like you like a lot of comb (I'm right there with you), but don't want a pad, riser, adjustable hardware. Not sure that leaves you a lot of options. If the Game Scout isn't high enough for you, you probably aren't going to find much else that's better. The bolt on my Tikka kisses the Game Scout comb, it couldn't really be any higher unless there was a relief for the bolt to come back into. Maybe something like a Gunwerks with a really aggressive, negative comb would work? I just ended up putting Cheek-Eez pad on my Game Scout.

Does anyone make titanium adjustable comb hardware? I assume it's the added weight you're trying to stay away from, right?

Big Ern

WKR
Manners EH1 carbon w/o adjustable cheek and no mini-chassis (bed the action). Or, go with a game scout edge fill and put a cheek pad on it. That is what I do for my game scout. Triad Tactical has a pretty good one. Gives perfect cheek weld running a SB 5-20us with 50mm bell. You can add padding underneath if you need more height.

FLS

WKR
Pick the lightweight stock you like and add a Carstens cheek rest to it. Lighter and way less expensive than adjustable stocks.

Lawnboi

WKR
You have options

Manners makes an ultra lite cheek piece you could put in an eh series stock of your choice.

Mcmillan game scout or warden with an adjustable cheek piece, or a stock pad/pack.

I prefer the mcmillan grip personally but can get along fine with manners as well. If it’s for a rem 700 or clone I’d have a hard time looking further than an eh1 with a UL cheek piece. If for a tikka I’d go with mcmillan adjustable.

Neither will be cheap.

Lawnboi

WKR
Sound like you like a lot of comb (I'm right there with you), but don't want a pad, riser, adjustable hardware. Not sure that leaves you a lot of options. If the Game Scout isn't high enough for you, you probably aren't going to find much else that's better. The bolt on my Tikka kisses the Game Scout comb, it couldn't really be any higher unless there was a relief for the bolt to come back into. Maybe something like a Gunwerks with a really aggressive, negative comb would work? I just ended up putting Cheek-Eez pad on my Game Scout.

Does anyone make titanium adjustable comb hardware? I assume it's the added weight you're trying to stay away from, right?
LRI makes ultra lite hardware.