If you could go back and do your set up again.....

Wapiti1

WKR
I have done a bit of transitioning as well. Jumped to Elite and picked up an Enkore. Replaced a PSE Carbon Air. My backup is still a PSE DNA. The SET system and grip on the Elite bows made me switch. The Carbon Air never fit my hand and I never got super comfortable with it. The DNA is fine, but jumpy with the CC cam. I shoot it great when I'm fresh. It's a handful when I get 50-60 arrows in. It's not an Omen, but it's an aggressive cam.

Dumped my Hamskea rest. When I draw the arrow jumps on the rest and that bugs the heck out of me. It also needs a hokey rubber arrow clip to hold the arrow when stalking. It's not secure, and I've been annoyed by it enough times. I couldn't find a reason to stick to the Hamskea (or any other rest) after I tried a Schaffer XV. Really like the way the Schaffer locks when stalking. Very secure arrow containment and none of the issues I've had with other rests when stalking.

Sticking to my MBG 5 pin Ascent. Used this for a few years, and don't see a reason to change. It does what I need. I also kept an HHA optimizer 3 pin as a second option. I prefer the HHA for the position and low profile of the slider knob, but no 5 pin option. 3 pin is fine in Indiana, but not my choice for out west. I could make it work, though.

Also keeping my Trophy Ridge two piece quiver. I have two Tight Spots, but I am not in love with them. I really like the 2 piece better. It can get it tighter to the bow, it balances better, and it doesn't whip at the shot like the tight spot. If the 2 piece doesn't fit a bow, the tight spot gets the nod, but it's not my first choice.

Tru Fire Hardcore release. Tried a Scott Ghost, and a Tru Ball Short N Sweet. Wish I could find a release that wasn't a hair trigger. I'd really like a release that let go at 3-4 pounds. Seriously.

Jeremy

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Some things I've learned over the past few years after going all in on archery. All of this is preference.

Dovetail not needed. I shoot way better with having the sight closer to the riser. I have an XL but have brought it way in, my other bow has the standard Fast Eddie.

QAD Integrate - bought the Hamskea, now they sit, should sell them. Prefer captured arrow vs flopping especially during stalking, noticed I always had to keep a finger on the arrow from making noise during stalks. Cleaner set up, less cables all over the dang place.

.010 Pins, covers less of target Fast Eddie is super bright, small at distance shots [western hunting] - I've had the .019 prefer smaller.

Mathews Engage Limb Legs, didn't realize how much it made a difference instead especially if you shoot a lot of tournaments or 3D.

Practicing with a hinge and competing in my local tournaments - best thing I've done to be better to increase my skill and better than anything that I've bought.

Good feedback on the QAD from a few folks here. I'll stay hypercritical as I get used to the Trinity rest.

I'm with you on the .010. I ordered all .19 pins as that was in stock and beat deal for me currently,
but plan is to send in the head and swap that bottom pin for a .010.

I grabbed limb legs before a 3d shoot and 100% agree they have been so nice.

couple random thoughts

you can put moleskin on your riser where the arrow would contact on a stalk with the hamskea to silence it on stlks. I kinda feel the qad are a little quieter but i dont trust them long term they seem to have a lot more issues. i had one that had more play the more i shot it.

if you want a cheap press synunm makes a 100$ press through Lancaster just get the mathews version for the vxr and back off the limbs a couple turns when working on the bow.

I am a big fan of the vxrs and vertixs. just a matter of which ata/string angle fits you best. I feel like they went downhill with the past parallel limbs on the v3s, they are a lot more stressed. not much has changed the last decade in archery just some things have made tuning more convenient. shoot what you like and stick with it

if you feel the 85% draw has too much dump get the 80% mods they will smoothen things out as the cam doesnt roll over as much

on your next string change you can swap out the cam bearings for japanese ones as some report issues if they tightened the axels too much. i did this for piece of mind the last time i swapped strings theres a youtube vid out there on how to do it and in the description the guy lists where he got his japanese bearings. theres also some cheaper on amazon however not sure where they are made.

i like the fast eddie vs the xl. i like tight spot quivers and i can get it a lot closer and sucked into the riseer with the non dove tail version of the spot hogg. flip the tight spot bracket and get it even closer. i sent my fast eddie into spot hogg and i think they changed fiber to .010 for like $40.

MT257

WKR
Also keeping my Trophy Ridge two piece quiver. I have two Tight Spots, but I am not in love with them. I really like the 2 piece better. It can get it tighter to the bow, it balances better, and it doesn't whip at the shot like the tight spot. If the 2 piece doesn't fit a bow, the tight spot gets the nod, but it's not my first choice.

Jeremy
Do you feel that any 2 piece quiver balances better and doesn't whip? I as well am not 100% sold on the Tight Spot.

If I had it to do all over again, I’d do it all again just the same. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I knew the first time I shot my D350 for the first time thanksgiving weekend of 2009 it was meant to be.

I did buy an SR6 a few years ago and gave it to my buddy and got my backup D350 back from him. Knowing now what I didn’t like about that bow then, everything, I wouldn’t have bought that SR6. But since I’m happy, it’s like no harm no foul. And my buddy loves the SR6.

Maverick1

WKR
If I had it to do all over again, I’d do it all again just the same. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I knew the first time I shot my D350 for the first time thanksgiving weekend of 2009 it was meant to be.

I did buy an SR6 a few years ago and gave it to my buddy and got my backup D350 back from him. Knowing now what I didn’t like about that bow then, everything, I wouldn’t have bought that SR6. But since I’m happy, it’s like no harm no foul. And my buddy loves the SR6.
Same here. I am a “set it and forget it” type when it comes to archery and getting a new bow. Some guys like to upgrade, modify, tinker, or just get a new bow every year. And that’s great! Have at it! To each their own. Respectfully, I am not one of those people. I found something that works for me and enjoy it immensely. Same bow, rest, quiver, release, broadheads, and arrows since getting my new setup in 2009. Not a single change since then (other than replacing arrows and broadheads when used on an animal.) The bow has done its job every time I have done mine. Practice practice practice. So, if I had to do it all over again, I would. Exactly the same.

Marble

WKR
One more thing...I won't buy an all black/charcoal colored bow again. Or even all one color. It shows everything. Every little wear mark and scratch. The busy camo patterns hide those scratches.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

No issues with the limbs at all? Finally sold my Experience after putting on it's 3rd set of limbs. Loved that bow thought I would never get rid of it but I got sick of repairing it

Wapiti1

WKR
Do you feel that any 2 piece quiver balances better and doesn't whip? I as well am not 100% sold on the Tight Spot.
I do. The short arms are dead at the shot and it puts the weight parallel with the riser. That said, I haven't used it on lots of difference bows, but it was better, IMO on my PSE's and this Elite. Mine is an older trophy ridge vault that I don't think they make anymore. I like the look of the Alta and Hoyt 2 piece designs. Not sure on the Tight Spot 2 piece, I haven't seen one in person or on a bow.

The downside could be that they mount farther forward on the bow riser. The arrows may interfere with the dial on a slider sight as well. You have to get it all together and see what will work.

Jeremy

No issues with the limbs at all? Finally sold my Experience after putting on it's 3rd set of limbs. Loved that bow thought I would never get rid of it but I got sick of repairing it
None whatsoever. And I’ve abused this bow. Got some finish that’s wore off on the ends of the limbs on my primary bow as well as the stabilizer from using it as a crutch from crawling towards animals. A small spot of chipped paint on the top limb but other than that it is still a killing machine!

It is a tool. When tools are used enough or in excess, they can incur some damage and wear n tear as in my case. I have at least 40 to 50k shots on this bow. I do a new string no more than once a year and sometimes twice. Still have all the original accessories. The SpotHogg 7DP’s, Whisker Biscuit, Octane Stabilizer and Bantum 4 arrow quiver have all proven as durable and bomb proof as my bow has been.

My backup is set up exactly the same with probably less than 1000 shots on it.

Wanted to hear some thoughts from the archers here, maybe even some regrets - as I am just about to set up a new (to me) Mathews VXR, due to everybody buying /selling here in the wake of new bow season.

In selling my Halon , I parted with most of my accessories so I'm about to be a fresh spring chicken with all new components. I'm going to do a mixture of DIY set up and going to the shop as well.

I thought it would be nice to know / nerd out with you all here for a moment before I reacquire a rest, stabilizer, sight, etc. Was there any piece you'd go back and do it again, or spend less / spend more? Ideally looking to hear some hot sports opinions on some of the flashy new accessories that might be tempting a lot of us.

Currently looking at the following, which all are upgrades from my previous set up :

-fast Eddie XL
-hamskea Trinity hunter pro
-control freak stabs - 10" front , 6" rear offset
-building new arrows which is a thread of it's own...
-some dumb amazon wrist sling
-I have the Mathews arrow web quiver but open to others.....

Roast me... Guide me ....
The only thing I would change is the sight… I’m currently shooting a fast Eddie and like it alright, but prior to this fast Eddie, I had the mbg mtn lite, and would go back to that sight if I were to change anything… I would get the epsilon too, but only because I want to try one

The only thing I would change is the sight… I’m currently shooting a fast Eddie and like it alright, but prior to this fast Eddie, I had the mbg mtn lite, and would go back to that sight if I were to change anything… I would get the epsilon too, but only because I want to try one

I'm actually on the other side of that fence right now. What did you like about the MBG so much? I am looking into the Spott Hoggs because I feel like they are a bit more durable. I tend to be hard on my stuff.

Good feedback on the QAD from a few folks here. I'll stay hypercritical as I get used to the Trinity rest.

I'm with you on the .010. I ordered all .19 pins as that was in stock and beat deal for me currently,
but plan is to send in the head and swap that bottom pin for a .010.

I grabbed limb legs before a 3d shoot and 100% agree they have been so nice.
I’m on the other side of that spectrum, my last 2 QAD rests made me never want another (just ripped one off of a used bow I recently bought)

I’m not sure if it’s the fern pollen and moisture combo, but they get sticky, and once that happens, I’ll never trust them. Hamskea for 3 years, been completely flawless, and lowest maintenance rest I have had (even a WB doesn’t last that long without being touched)

The QAD rests have lost my confidence. Have a limb driver on my bow currently, and it’s fine, but I will be switching to the epsilon before next year

If I could turn back the hands of time, I never would have sold that reflex express and switched to Matthews. That reflex was a straight damn shooter. I loved that bow and never should have sold it to my buddy. He has killed a LOT of deer with it in the last 20 years.

I'm actually on the other side of that fence right now. What did you like about the MBG so much? I am looking into the Spott Hoggs because I feel like they are a bit more durable. I tend to be hard on my stuff.
I like mbg pins, they are my favorite. Spot hogg .010 pins effectively cut out 20 minutes of shooting light on both ends of the day, mbg pins are always bright but never glared out.

I assume the spot hogg is a little more durable, but you would have to have a pretty major impact to break a mtn lite, I have tried, they are tough enough in real world use. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, I just like the mbg a little more, and was 100% reliable for the 4 years I used it (on my wife’s bow now)

I have never cared for spot hogg pins, my current housing is .019 and they are plenty usable, but I prefer .010 and the spot hogg is pretty dim in that size.

My next sight will be a custom mtn lite with .019 top pin and .010 on the bottom 2, all green… that’s the perfect sight for me

I like mbg pins, they are my favorite. Spot hogg .010 pins effectively cut out 20 minutes of shooting light on both ends of the day, mbg pins are always bright but never glared out.

I assume the spot hogg is a little more durable, but you would have to have a pretty major impact to break a mtn lite, I have tried, they are tough enough in real world use. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, I just like the mbg a little more, and was 100% reliable for the 4 years I used it (on my wife’s bow now)

I have never cared for spot hogg pins, my current housing is .019 and they are plenty usable, but I prefer .010 and the spot hogg is pretty dim in that size.

My next sight will be a custom mtn lite with .019 top pin and .010 on the bottom 2, all green… that’s the perfect sight for me
This is good info. I must admit I really like the Triple Stack pins. Insanely bright and brighter than the double pin I had. I had a black gold and they had great pins as mentioned but am a sucker for the vertical pin alignment.

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider

I was thinking about green, red, green on triple stack, but wanted to see how bright those .010"s are to my eyes first.

I wonder how much of the pin brightness comes down to the individuals eye and their literal quality of eyesight. I've heard the .010 are great, and from others they are dim.

OP
Fjellvei

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing...I won't buy an all black/charcoal colored bow again. Or even all one color. It shows everything. Every little wear mark and scratch. The busy camo patterns hide those scratches.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That's a good call. I'm seeing this on the VXR, it arrived today by the way. It's the ambush green color, so not as obvious as nicks and dings would be on black. My halon was Optifade and hid that kind of wear really well.

Still waiting on the remainder of the components to arrive from all the possible mail services. As a sidebar, currently ranking the mail entities as follows:

1. UPS - uncontested favorite
2. USPS - predictable garbage but bearable
3. FedEx - unpredictable garbage but somehow always gets you coming back with an occasional nice price....

Attachments

• PXL_20221207_004956146.jpg
    PXL_20221207_004956146.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 13

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That just means the bow is battle tested.

I'm still shooting my 8 year old PSE, with a 16 year old bow and 15 year old bow as backups. If I wanted to change anything, I would. I'm one of the QAD HDX lovers. It's been on my PSE Freak since day one and has been flawless for 8 years. I've tried two different Hamskea's on other bows, and ended up taking them off. Spot Hogg Hunter 7-pin sights, 10" B-stinger Sport, and still using my 17 year old Tru-Ball Cyclone wrist strap caliper release. It's hard to change from things that just flat out work well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I briefly tried a SH triple stack, but didn’t care for it. Didn’t see anything about it that would sway me to buy another SH sight again. Alot of folks seem to like them though.