If you could hunt Kansas Iowa or Illinois. Which one and why?

Jwbfx4

FNG
I will be headed out to Kansas this year on an archery hunt. I hope I get the opportunity to hunt Iowa in the near future.

Only one of those states take ms 4 years to draw.......

That said only about 1/2 to 1/3 of iowa I would consider "worth while". The northwest corner I would not hunt over most of kansas

PA 5-0

WKR
For trophy bucks, no state can touch Iowa. On a 7 day rut hunt in Nov, you could see a lifetime of monster bucks. I'm in the process of compiling my video footage from this past season. I shot my target buck day 3, and then sat in a tree in sub zero temps for days with the video camera. It was traumatizing. The video I captured is insane. All that said, 2019 did not compare to my 2014 hunt. I was within 30yds of 6-7 legit booners. Twice laid eyes on a picket fence typical 14pt that was every bit of 200'. I'm retiring to Iowa, with or without the wife.

For trophy bucks, no state can touch Iowa. On a 7 day rut hunt in Nov, you could see a lifetime of monster bucks. I'm in the process of compiling my video footage from this past season. I shot my target buck day 3, and then sat in a tree in sub zero temps for days with the video camera. It was traumatizing. The video I captured is insane. All that said, 2019 did not compare to my 2014 hunt. I was within 30yds of 6-7 legit booners. Twice laid eyes on a picket fence typical 14pt that was every bit of 200'. I'm retiring to Iowa, with or without the wife.
I've been dropping hints to my wife about moving to Iowa for the last decade! Maybe someday...

Muzzy48

FNG
A few buddies and myself have a 200ac lease in Illinois. It’s a good time but there isn’t a booner around every tree like some may think. Definitely a chance for one tho. Alot of patience and a little luck. Plenty of 110-120’s. Waiting for enough points for Iowa.

Personally Iowa is a goal with the low NR tags given out every year and the landscape just a dream hunt

I am from Nebraska and have hunted Iowa one time with my bow. Saw lots of deer and but did not get a chance at a shooter. I will be going back when I get enough points to draw. For whitetail Iowa would be the only state I would go to hunt. Western states for a big mulie is on my list too.

CWECWE

FNG
Just out of curiosity (I'm a Kansas resident who only hunts private), but where are some of you guys hunting in Kansas? Is it mostly private or public?

I have hunted all three more then once. Kansas and iowa are coin flip for me, both are amazing states to bowhunt and have good season structures. I like iowa nonresident Cap’s way better then kansas‘ bullshit demand based system. that said ....tough choice between the two
Couldn't have been said any better!

Kansas has an early September Muzzleloader season that puts down some giants. Also, there's far more public opportunities in Kansas than the other states.

For sure Iowa. Been planning a hunt there the last few years. Made three trips out the last two winters scouting. Can't wait.

From KDWP, and I almost didn't believe it myself: "The holders of lifetime hunting licenses are always considered Kansas residents when purchasing turkey and big game permits, regardless of where they live."
Nebraska has a similar lifetime license. I think they have to pay out of state price for the tag, but don’t need to buy the out of state hunting license. So that adds up over time. One of my biggest regrets is not getting one when I lived there.

Since I currently hunt two of the neighboring States I will likely hunt Kansas in a year or two. It's an easy 45 minute drive from some of my other hunting spots.

Last edited: