If you could live anywhere

To pursue your passions of chasing monster muleys, if you could live anywhere, state-wise where would you move? I'm personally wanting to get into archery more and AZ seems like the state that would be fun to me with the amount of public land and also the archery seasons. Colorado is at the top for the record books so I imagine a lot of people will say colorado.

I ask this also for another reason, I'm just now dipping my feet into firefighting and I'm looking at states where I can actually buy a house and build a decent living while being able to pursue my hobbies aka hunt as much as possible. I'm currently in California originally from South Carolina, if you have any firefighter connections in Nevada, AZ, Idaho, Colorado, I would love to see how they make it as far as building a decent life. cheers.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
There is no more big muleys... All gone. Guess you need to start hunting something else honestly if it was me I'd be looking at Nevada I live in Montana and love it here but if I was to move I'd look real hard at Nevada as a mule deer hunter. SO MUCH PUBLIC LAND!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
E
Honestly, Nevada is high on my list to consider. No state taxes being a damn good reason. I need to look at the draw statistics a little more. The last thing I want to do is move somewhere and have a hard time drawing a decent hunt. Montana must be pretty sweet, big country, shit ton of cold weather though huh?

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, Nevada is high on my list to consider. No state taxes being a damn good reason. I need to look at the draw statistics a little more. The last thing I want to do is move somewhere and have a hard time drawing a decent hunt. Montana must be pretty sweet, big country, shit ton of cold weather though huh?
Plenty of cold but I guess you don't think about it to much of you grow up here. I know some draws in nevada can be tough but just from the bit of research I've done it seems like there are plenty of hunts that are doable every year. Montana is cool plenty of hunting opportunity but it is not managed for huge bucks. There are some left but not like alot of the other western states. Gohunt has alot of interesting info about Nevada and the west in general

djfergus

FNG
I couldn't tell you the first thing about Mule deer but I really like The Durango Co area. There's three other states nearby. Should leave a hunter several options.

OP
E
Plenty of cold but I guess you don't think about it to much of you grow up here. I know some draws in nevada can be tough but just from the bit of research I've done it seems like there are plenty of hunts that are doable every year. Montana is cool plenty of hunting opportunity but it is not managed for huge bucks. There are some left but not like alot of the other western states. Gohunt has alot of interesting info about Nevada and the west in general

Yeah I actually dropped the cash for the insider information. I think it’s worth for someone like myself not knowing jack about the west. I def get what you’re saying about growing up with the cold being from the south regarding how the weather sucks to outsiders looking in.

OP
E
I couldn't tell you the first thing about Mule deer but I really like The Durango Co area. There's three other states nearby. Should leave a hunter several options.

yeah Colorado seems like the hunters dream with the varied species, the real estate there is def a little pricey but I haven’t looked at that area specifically still researching

firefighters do pretty decent out that way which makes it appealing to me, plus being in Cali I just think it could only get better haha avg price of homes here are 500k for a dump

OP
E
According to statistics it’s the best place to “hunt “ On paper for mule deer.. I wish they had a longer archery season

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I actually dropped the cash for the insider information. I think it’s worth for someone like myself not knowing jack about the west. I def get what you’re saying about growing up with the cold being from the south regarding how the weather sucks to outsiders looking in.
Insider is so worth the money

street

WKR
If I was a mule deer hunter and could pick any state, it would probably be WY. I love being a CO resident, but CO can easily be hunted every year as NR and build points for future high quality hunts. WY on the other hand has more advantage for R's.

OP
E
If I was a mule deer hunter and could pick any state, it would probably be WY. I love being a CO resident, but CO can easily be hunted every year as NR and build points for future high quality hunts. WY on the other hand has more advantage for R's.

Yeah don’t know much about Wyoming, taking a look here in a bit, thanks

Opah

WKR
If all were to do is Hunt Muleys, Ca/Nevada boarder, there are some GRAND desert muleys out there.
And of course all the PETA bleeding hearts would be some where else in America, there would be scientific wild life management. and all I had to do was hunt, track, scout mule deer.
I think that is called heaven

bcrow3

FNG
I have a firefighter buddy living in Vegas. Makes 90k, pretty hard to beat Nevada from a pay standpoint when it comes to firefighters. Add that to all that has already been said about Nevada and that would be an easy sell.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I would also become a Wyoming resident if I could pick any state

OP
E
If all were to do is Hunt Muleys, Ca/Nevada boarder, there are some GRAND desert muleys out there.
And of course all the PETA bleeding hearts would be some where else in America, there would be scientific wild life management. and all I had to do was hunt, track, scout mule deer.
I think that is called heaven

ahah that made laugh, if only huh....the only direction I want to run is away from cali, the looks I get when I tell people I hunt

OP
E
I have a firefighter buddy living in Vegas. Makes 90k, pretty hard to beat Nevada from a pay standpoint when it comes to firefighters. Add that to all that has already been said about Nevada and that would be an easy sell.

man see that's the kinda thing I'm looking for in all reality, these other states are hard to quantify the salary vs cost of living, don't know if I would want to live in Las Vegas but to make 90K and be able to have good hunting is right in the ballpark I'm looking for and Nevada seems to have a decent housing market, I'd love to chat with him

deadwolf

WKR
If you want the most hunting opportunities of any state, Alaska is the place to be. My department is hiring in Anchorage, Alaska...

And you’ll make enough money to go hunt any mule deer you want after our hunting season is over : )

FIREFIGHTER - Range 25 / F56 https://g.co/kgs/NmUvni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
If you want the most hunting opportunities of any state, Alaska is the place to be. My department is hiring in Anchorage, Alaska...

And you’ll make enough money to go hunt any mule deer you want after our hunting season is over : )

FIREFIGHTER - Range 25 / F56 https://g.co/kgs/NmUvni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking at it right now, what area are you living in?