If you could move anywhere?

A million won’t go far in the midwest.

Well only 1/2 of that million will buy you a 2000 sq ft house on a 1/4 acre anywhere in the west right now, bet that money would go a lot farther in the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri… you get the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingnutty

FNG
Well only 1/2 of that million will buy you a 2000 sq ft house on a 1/4 acre anywhere in the west right now, bet that money would go a lot farther in the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri… you get the picture

Yeah, completely insane. 2,000 square feet in most decent western MT towns are literally 500k.

I’m sure nobody is buying much land anywhere with a million dollars but in Montana it’ll get you about nothing anymore

A million won’t go far in the midwest.

Depends what you’re looking for and how close to a big city you’re looking. A mil could get you a lot in MN and I’m sure the same is true of all the states that border it.

Since 2020 I bought what I’d consider a nice house on 6 acres at the edge of town and a nice little 40 for whitetail an hr away for $570k total.

Wingnutty

FNG
Depends what you’re looking for and how close to a big city you’re looking. A mil could get you a lot in MN and I’m sure the same is true of all the states that border it.

Since 2020 I bought what I’d consider a nice house on 6 acres at the edge of town and a nice little 40 for whitetail an hr away for $570k total.
Lol yeah, that’ll literally get you 6 acres (without a house) in much of western MT, some areas less than that🤣

tdhanses

WKR

Pretty easy to spend $800k in kansas city on a 12,000sqft lot for a house that size these days. You are right though if you live in western KS.

Farm ground on avg is much higher in the midwest then in the west, if it wasn’t we’d sell our Ranch in MT we’ve had for 4 generations and buy where yields are much higher per acer for crops and take less acreage for cattle.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Lol yeah, that’ll literally get you 6 acres (without a house) in much of western MT, some areas less than that🤣
My sisters house outside of Billings on 4 acres was only $600k and it’s relatively new, built 5 years ago and around 4k sqft.

In the end it all depends on location in every state and they all have expensive ground, try buying land within 45mins of Kansas City for a million with a nice house, it’ll be something that needs gutted and maybe 5 or 10 acres.

30 years ago you could buy 160acres of timber for dirt cheap, that land now is crazy expensive purely due to recreation.

But if you want to live in an area without a big town and zero scenery you could make a million go far anywhere.

Last edited:
I’m a lifelong Montanan. Honestly, I’m starting to question whether I’ll die a Montanan or whether we’ll move someplace else in the future. It’s declining fast. I don’t see how anyone from a Midwest state could afford to buy here and live here and I seriously question how my kids will ever be able to survive here.

….cost of living: insane. Open space (in western Montana) disappearing. Uncrowded Recreation: diminishing fast.

I wonder if someday I might sell my house for $1,000,000 and go buy acreage in the Midwest or something? Never thought I’d think that but I dunno. I think we’ll start to see more people from the west moving east soon due to cost of living. If I see one more post on Facebook that says “we just moved here (anywhere western Montana ) and can’t find it afford anyplace to live, please help”. For hells sake why would anyone with out deep pockets even think of moving here at this point???

Not that I want even more people around, but I live in WI, and outdoorsman here have it pretty good in a lot of ways. The fishing is fantastic. We have some of the top walleye fisheries, countless smaller lakes throughout the state, awesome trout streams for fly fishing, and big water trout and salmon on the great lakes.

Deer hunting varies. Southern portion of the state has good hunting for big bucks in a lot of areas, but access can be difficult. Northern portion of the state offers large tracks of public land, big woods style deer hunting. Winters up north are tough and there's a lot of predators (wolves, bear, bobcats), so deer numbers have been down for a few years in my area of the Northwoods, but the bright side is that there's a lot of room to roam and it doesn't get too crowded.

We have a lot of state parks that are well kept and beautiful for hiking, swimming, fishing, etc.

Like everywhere else it seems, real estate prices have gone insane. Can't get into anything decent in a lot of areas for anything sub 350k, so like a lot of folks on here, I worry about working class folks being priced out of existence.

I used to be a flatlander and moved out west to UT. It's a great place to live for outdoor activities. The draw sucks for residents. You can put in for either deer or elk limited entry tags not both. You can put in for one once in a lifetime tag. If you want to hunt bears or swans or cranes plan on waiting 5 years. The people are very judgy unless you're mormon. My neighbor asked what ward I was in and I said i'm not sure what that means. They haven't talked to me in 3 years. I now make a point to walk around my yard with a beer in my hands at almost all times. I'd honestly move to western Colorado or Coeur D'Alene Idaho.

I used to be a flatlander and moved out west to UT. It's a great place to live for outdoor activities. The draw sucks for residents. You can put in for either deer or elk limited entry tags not both. You can put in for one once in a lifetime tag. If you want to hunt bears or swans or cranes plan on waiting 5 years. The people are very judgy unless you're mormon. My neighbor asked what ward I was in and I said i'm not sure what that means. They haven't talked to me in 3 years. I now make a point to walk around my yard with a beer in my hands at almost all times. I'd honestly move to western Colorado or Coeur D'Alene Idaho.
If you moved to Coeur d'Alene what gang would you join and what method would you use to ingest method?

Utah if I was single. It is 10 to 1 hands down the most loaded place of beautiful women i have ever seen. And there with ugly ass dudes.

Most of the smokers I see with these dudes she wouldn't even have acknowledged his existence in Oregon

If you moved to Coeur d'Alene what gang would you join and what method would you use to ingest method?

Utah if I was single. It is 10 to 1 hands down the most loaded place of beautiful women i have ever seen. And there with ugly ass dudes.

Most of the smokers I see with these dudes she wouldn't even have acknowledged his existence in Oregon
I'd ingest in my neck vein.

I'll agree Utah has some smoke shows, lots of them. They also have the most plastic surgeries and implants done too. I think the problem is they get married at 18 and have kids and the men get fat and ugly and the women blossom.

IDShane

WKR
My family and I moved to Boise from NW Wisconsin 4 years ago and really have not looked back. We got sick of the endless winters, salty roads and the mosquitoes too. It has been quite a change we were lucky to get our home before the really big prices and we got back the equity that we lost selling our home in Wisconsin. We came out west 2 years in a row for our 10 day summer vacation to determine where would live. Then we went to work to find suitable employment and that in the end was why we ended up in Boise.

If you wish to experienceit all in the west, I believe you have move rural or small town (< 2000 pop). In any of the big towns- same crap - differant place.

Weather wise you have to shop carefully. The only thing the west has to offer is less humidity. Some places will cook your butt in the summer and freeze it in the winter. Elevation has a lot to do with the length of winter. West of the divide is wetter than the rain shadow on the east.

If you like rural land - buy a bunch of thermometers before you build. There are places on a parcel that can be consistantly colder than places very close to it. There are predominant wind directions that can heavily influence where the doors in your house are located. Pay attention to storm and spring runoff. The static level of my ground water is at 5 ft. In the spring, groundwater is at + or - 1 inch. My well is 152 ft deep with the main groundwater intercept was at 130ft and I live on the top of a ridge. Understand things first or fix forever. You may have your druthers but your land will dictate what you can easily do or not.

Work? There are many places that you had better bring unique skills or live with the subsistence income of the locals. A lot of places are kind of limited to cell coverage. I know places you need to carry fuel to get there or limited ability to travel after rain or in blizzards.

Pick carefully! A lot of places are not created equal or even livable.

A classic I remember was a lady who wanted to purchase a parcel north of my place. She needed to be at work each morning by 5 am. The road was perpendicular to the drift line in the winter. If you plowed it, most of the time it drifted back in before you finished. I lived with my road for two years before I moved it into the trees and 50 yards to the east . I still maintain heavy equipment for those really special days.

Good luck !!!

CoStick

WKR
Grew up hunting IL in the 80’s-90’s, been out west for quite sometime, next destination will be the Caribbean, probably St Croix.

49ereric

WKR
My wife, 2 boys and I are moving out west. We currently live in Ohio and want to experience everything life has to offer. We are avid outdoorsmen that love to hunt and fish. My wife loves hiking and enjoying the outdoors. We are currently set on Utah right now but we're not sure that is where we need to be. We have been contemplating Montana or Wyoming. So my question is, For a conservative family with 2 boys looking to move west where would you recommend? What State or even towns? My boys also enjoy sports such as baseball and football. Thanks.
West of Ohio could be anywhere 😂
Minnesota a high tax state so keep going further west please.