If you could move anywhere?

Here's a out of left field answer. Want to hunt 365 days a year? Hike mountains as high as 10k? Fish ocean and hang out on the beach? Hawaii.
A close friend of mine lives there and I'm starting to think he might be in the better state.
My in-laws have a condo in Hawaii and the more they talk about it the more I wonder if it may be one of the few places I would be willing to leave here for. It may just be the allure of the unknown and the "tropical" nature of the place but still. I also love water, and my wife and kids do as well. I do think however we would miss our regular Saturday ski trips. So I guess the only answer is a remote job and Summer in Hawaii and Winters in Idaho.

@go_deep @NorthIdahoHunter what island(s)?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapa

Kailua-Kona on the big island. Its actually the town that MeatEater filmed their spearfishing episode. My in-laws have been very happy so far. They do talk about how expensive things are, but the condo is paid for and its now doubled in value in the past 2 years. Basically he came to me at one point and asked would rather money or a condo in Hawaii for an inheritance, I am not certain we really had a choice honestly, but my vote was the condo.

Now that we are retired, living the dream...summers in Alaska, winters in Montana.
Hunting Aug-mid Jan.
Alaska summers are unbelievable.
View attachment 430274
I think I would want a bit more heat, so far CDA has had what seems like my perfect weather so far. Many parts of Idaho have already seen 100*+ days, but not us. It also took until June to see a 80*+ day. We love to play in the water, and a high of 71* might not be enough to get me into the water. I'm sure people get acclimated to it though.

I asked myself this question and then moved to the Matanuska-Susitna Valley in 2013. Now I would modify it to move somewhere in the Soldotna area but pesky jobs are preventing that at the moment.

Grew up in ketchikan. High school football was literally played on a field of gravel.
And the season is extremely short. That was a huge shocker to me when I moved here but it's understandable. Grew up in ND so our weather wasn't particularly mild, but even we played into November a couple weeks. The last couple rounds of playoffs were in a dome though. I can remember one game below 0 in late October and one we had to clear over a foot of snow from the field (insert grumbling old man noises).

If you moved to Coeur d'Alene what gang would you join and what method would you use to ingest method?

Utah if I was single. It is 10 to 1 hands down the most loaded place of beautiful women i have ever seen. And there with ugly ass dudes.

Most of the smokers I see with these dudes she wouldn't even have acknowledged his existence in Oregon
We just to CDA in August last year, and I was a bit worried about that particular issue, but honestly I can't say that we have noticed any issues, especially compared to any other towns we could have lived in. Maybe I am just oblivious or naïve or both. So far we have really enjoyed it.

My wife, 2 boys and I are moving out west. We currently live in Ohio and want to experience everything life has to offer. We are avid outdoorsmen that love to hunt and fish. My wife loves hiking and enjoying the outdoors. We are currently set on Utah right now but we're not sure that is where we need to be. We have been contemplating Montana or Wyoming. So my question is, For a conservative family with 2 boys looking to move west where would you recommend? What State or even towns? My boys also enjoy sports such as baseball and football. Thanks.
Montana. Period.

If you are considering the move to Montana, just know that the Flathead and Lincoln county are sold out, awful, and not worth visiting.

Coldtrail

WKR
I'm convinced that there really is no place left, currently living in the Midwest & it's not a dreamy as you think. MN has some nice country in the north, but is extremely liberal and high crime even in the smaller cities & anything near lake superior or any other big lake is full of people 24hrs a day.

WI is being bought up by Texas, Iowa farmers, and western money, construction is out about 3yrs even in towns of 3000 people. Southern WI is hippies, urban dwellers and protests, northern WI is lots of drugs, property crimes and generally full of layabouts that either can't find, or just wish not to work. Anything near good water is a mad house in the summer, highways leading to them are bumper to bumper Fri and Sunday May to Sept. There are some great places to hunt, but you wouldn't want to live full time in too many of the towns nearby.

Scottyboy

WKR
I'm convinced that there really is no place left, currently living in the Midwest & it's not a dreamy as you think. MN has some nice country in the north, but is extremely liberal and high crime even in the smaller cities & anything near lake superior or any other big lake is full of people 24hrs a day.

WI is being bought up by Texas, Iowa farmers, and western money, construction is out about 3yrs even in towns of 3000 people. Southern WI is hippies, urban dwellers and protests, northern WI is lots of drugs, property crimes and generally full of layabouts that either can't find, or just wish not to work. Anything near good water is a mad house in the summer, highways leading to them are bumper to bumper Fri and Sunday May to Sept. There are some great places to hunt, but you wouldn't want to live full time in too many of the towns nearby.
Depends where you go in MN. I live 40 miles west of the cities in a town of ~10,000 and have never locked my front door and leave “valuables” in plain sight, in an unlocked vehicle 364 days out of the year. Like any city on the planet, all have pros and cons. I will agree with people flocking north on the weekends, we just go in the winter while nobody else is up there and enjoy northern Minnesota in its prime.

it is a bit liberal here (due to many reasons I will bite my tongue to remain on this site, but search Minnesota and immigrants), with as bad as walz f’d things up the past 2 years I see little chance he wins the election..

That being said, if anyone likes to catch muskies, shoot corn fed whitetail or coyotes 365, drop me a line!

Coldtrail

WKR
Depends where you go in MN. I live 40 miles west of the cities in a town of ~10,000 and have never locked my front door and leave “valuables” in plain sight, in an unlocked vehicle 364 days out of the year. Like any city on the planet, all have pros and cons. I will agree with people flocking north on the weekends, we just go in the winter while nobody else is up there and enjoy northern Minnesota in its prime.

it is a bit liberal here (due to many reasons I will bite my tongue to remain on this site, but search Minnesota and immigrants), with as bad as walz f’d things up the past 2 years I see little chance he wins the election..

That being said, if anyone likes to catch muskies, shoot corn fed whitetail or coyotes 365, drop me a line!
Consider yourself very fortunate to be in such a place because they are few and far between, I see that east of Minneapolis near the WI/MN border that 5 people were stabbed today while inner tubing down the Apple River near Somerset (population 2635)....times are changing fast in other places.

I live in a greater metropolitan “suburbia” and grew up here. I have thought & pondered over mikeniekampjr’s question many times in the past handful of years. More-so about moving to a rural area elsewhere in-state in retirement someday, which isn’t imminent…. maybe 5-7 years, who knows. So far, I haven’t had any epiphanies. Life events in the past 10-12 years have added challenges to considerations of leaving “the rat race” one day, but it’s not out of the question. It would be great to have the flexibility to have a second home somewhere as a base for outdoor adventures (i.e., out west maybe) and still maintain our roots here, but financially in retirement that is highly unlikely. Deep ties to family, friends, and our community here have always been important.

Last edited:

Scottyboy

WKR
Consider yourself very fortunate to be in such a place because they are few and far between, I see that east of Minneapolis near the WI/MN border that 5 people were stabbed today while inner tubing down the Apple River near Somerset (population 2635)....times are changing fast in other places.
The trial will be starting soon, I’d be cautious to judge any area based off of the charges/supposed evidence against him. But, the Apple River in general over the past 10-20 years has seen a huge decline. Unless you like broken glass in the 1ft of water you are floating.

Somerset always has been and always will be known for 2 things. The apple River and the music concerts they host from time to time..

Like all places you go….situational awareness was goes a long ways. I know when to lock my car and when I don’t need to… 😉