If you could only give one piece of advice to a new elk hunter, what would it be?

AllDayAT

FNG
First time elk hunter here posting my first thread. I look forward to all the advice from seasoned vets!

dlee56

WKR
Best advice I can give is to just go try your best and learn. Remember it's fun, don't take it too seriously and soak it up.

The one thing that really changed the game for me was subscribing to Chris Roe's elk module roehuntingresources.com
This is a legit course on elk behavior and calling strategies, he can be long winded but at least he's thorough. Not to be a salesman but before this course I never called an elk in in 4 years of archery hunting, and after watching the videos I called in multiple elk and killed one with my recurve at 7yds. Some people don't like him but it changed the game for me.

OP
A

AllDayAT

FNG
Best advice I can give is to just go try your best and learn. Remember it's fun, don't take it too seriously and soak it up.

The one thing that really changed the game for me was subscribing to Chris Roe's elk module roehuntingresources.com
This is a legit course on elk behavior and calling strategies, he can be long winded but at least he's thorough. Not to be a salesman but before this course I never called an elk in in 4 years of archery hunting, and after watching the videos I called in multiple elk and killed one with my recurve at 7yds. Some people don't like him but it changed the game for me.
Thanks for the info - I haven't heard of that one. I have completed Cory Jacobsen's University of Elk Hunting course. I wonder if they are drastically different?

OP
A

AllDayAT

FNG
Enjoy the sucky parts of elk hunting because it can be brutal. But don’t give up.
Thanks, Amos - I do plan to enjoy it all. Ironically I am one of those people who enjoy doing challenging things. I think one of the reasons I decided to dive in to elk hunting is due to the fact that I keep reading how difficult it is. Finally tagging out, whenever that may be, will be a day to remember forever.

Laramie

WKR
Balance effort to be successful with enjoying the hunt. Focus on the experience and enjoy every minute. That said, never give up by allowing yourself to be frustrated. Use your head, and keep working until the end. The best elk hunters I know still struggle at times. They don't stress, they just keep hunting hard and enjoying their time. Eventually it comes together most of the time for them.

huntnful

WKR
GO AFTER THEM!

I still remember my first elk hunt, being unfamiliar with climbing "big mountains". I glassed like 4 bulls and 30 cows "WAY UP" on this mountain. There was a few hours left before dark, and I thought "I could never make it up there in time". I still regret that decision lol. It was maybe 1000-1500' up. And now after spending a ton of time in the mountains over the last couple of years, that hike would have MAYBE taken an hour tops. If you see them, go after them. It's the only way you'll really learn what you can really do, and how much country to can really cover in a given amount of time.

Take up bear hunting instead! Be patient and watch the wind. If they spot you stalking in, freeze, don't try and duck. Just freeze for as long as it takes for them to lose interest. This can be for a long time, but it's less time than finding more elk after you bump them.... Good luck, have fun, be safe!

dtrkyman

WKR
I would say expect to kill an elk every day you hunt them ever! Keeps you focused which is really difficult on a slow hunt! Just do not get dissapointed when you don't!

Hunt with youe eyes and ears not so much with your legs, save em for when you need em!

dtrkyman

WKR
I would say expect to kill an elk every day you hunt them ever! Keeps you focused which is really difficult on a slow hunt! Just do not get dissapointed when you don't!

Hunt with youe eyes and ears not so much with your legs, save em for when you need em!

Thanks for the info - I haven't heard of that one. I have completed Cory Jacobsen's University of Elk Hunting course. I wonder if they are drastically different?
Yes drastically different. Jacobsens course is good for a beginner, but basic. Roe’s stuff is like a PhD in elk talk.

Balance effort to be successful with enjoying the hunt. Focus on the experience and enjoy every minute. That said, never give up by allowing yourself to be frustrated. Use your head, and keep working until the end. The best elk hunters I know still struggle at times. They don't stress, they just keep hunting hard and enjoying their time. Eventually it comes together most of the time for them.
That saved me some typing thanks Laramie.

^What he said ^

Enjoy it all, see you are from TX. so, wherever you are going will be different country. Don't get discouraged learn. No amount of books, YouTube or podcast will fill in how the being there does.
Take your time, smell, listen and look.
Did I say have fun. Some things will suck be in the right frame of mind.

Fullfan

WKR
Get in shape. Find friends who are in shap. The work begins when the elk are dead.

Cow calling is more important than bugeling.