If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

I like the recommendations above for a bolt action 22lr. I would stay away from the 10/22 if you are looking for 1 rifle though. This is coming from a guy who has three of those things and I love them because of how fun they are to shoot. The problem is they are inherently inaccurate at longer ranges due to the ammo restrictions. In order to get the semi auto action to work you need supersonic ammo. The subsonic ammo just won't cycle the bolt. With supersonic 22lr you are good to about 50 yards, but after that the round will fall below the sound barrier and when that happens accuracy goes to hell.
totally agree. I have owned a couple and shot them a ton, they are cool rifles but when I started going east and shooting rats a lot, they were frustrating. beyond 40-50yds I think the 17hmr is cheaper to shoot "per rat" haha... way cheaper beyond about 70yds.

I do think a nice little bolt 22 would be fun, with a scope with turrets, and find ammo it likes. they can be wicked accurate if you have a way to combat bullet drop. I got my daughter a Henry "mini bolt" and it's impressive accuracy wise, i'm sure lots of 22 bolt rifles are, I just always had 10/22's and tube fed Marlins growing up, and I do prefer them to a 10/22 for accuracy.

For one gun versatility, I have a switch barrel CZ 455. .22LR and .17HMR barrels, separate magazines as well. Shoots very well but needs resighting in after the barrels are changed. Accurate and well built.

My favorite rimfire is my Tikka T1X in 17 HMR. It is topped with Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42. It shoots the Hornady 20 gram XTP the best.

it is an absolute pleasure to shoot and dead nuts accurate.

rclouse79

WKR
I only have experience with a ruger 10/22 and a 22 lr savage bolt action, but am a big fan of the savage. The accuracy of it has always impressed me.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have a couple Tikka 452s and a Ruger 10/22 that has had some goodies added. They all shoot beyond my ability. It is easy to sink a lot of money in a 10/22 when you start adding things.

I don’t have any experience with the Tikka T1X but I have read a lot of good things about them. Since I have a T3X with an SWFA scope, I am really tempted to get a T1X, add a vertical grip, and top it with an SWFA 6X.

For all around fun, I pull out a Winchester 9422.

Agross

WKR
You can get a ruger 10/22 for quite cheap. I have had one for years and years and abolutely love it. I think I have cleaned it one time. It is accurate, fun and cheap to shoot. Killed too many squirrels to count with it. If you decide that isnt enough then get a .17 I recently picked up a .17 on sale for $250 with a walnut stock and the heavier barrel. Absolutely love this gun. It is loud, but accurate alot farther then the 22. It is more my woodchuck gun for now. Love both guns. Both guns shoot well. Both guns were cheap to buy. Decide what you are using it for most and pick one. If its not enough or too much , buy the other.

Last edited:
I have a couple Tikka 452s and a Ruger 10/22 that has had some goodies added. They all shoot beyond my ability. It is easy to sink a lot of money in a 10/22 when you start adding things.

I don’t have any experience with the Tikka T1X but I have read a lot of good things about them. Since I have a T3X with an SWFA scope, I am really tempted to get a T1X, add a vertical grip, and top it with an SWFA 6X.

For all around fun, I pull out a Winchester 9422.

I’m taking the twins (t3 30-06 and t1x 22lr, both with swfa 3-9) out tomorrow! So much fun to dial the .22...

Roy68

WKR
Marlin 39 with irons for me. First rifle I purchased with my own cash when I was 11. Set me back $125. My 3 sons and my wife have Ruger Americans.

Kindo

WKR
Love my T1X. Shoots CCI SV and Federal AutoMatch in one ragged hole at 50 yards and best at 100 is about 1.25” but that is with just using some Kentucky windage. After this virus dies down and work picks up, I’m hoping to get a turret scope for it. One of my favorite rifles with a suppressor on it.

For pure sentimentality, it would either be the Rossi pump my dad taught me to shoot with (super fun, almost semi auto rate of fire once you get the hang of it), or the Marlin 780 my granddad bought me when I was nine...nice solid accurate bolt gun.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Another note. I learned how to shoot with my dads Winchester Model 61 pump action .22. That rifle has killed more critters than probably all of my other rifles combined. And I barely shoot it these days.

I’m amazed at how incredibly accurate that rifle is with just iron sights and it almost never getting cleaned. If you can find one of those on gunbroker they are an amazing little rifle.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Another note. I learned how to shoot with my dads Winchester Model 61 pump action .22. That rifle has killed more critters than probably all of my other rifles combined. And I barely shoot it these days.

I’m amazed at how incredibly accurate that rifle is with just iron sights and it almost never getting cleaned. If you can find one of those on gunbroker they are an amazing little rifle.

I've got a model 62a, pump action that I really like. While I understand it's a little less sought after than the 61, it's a still a sweet little shooter.

I'm now in pursuit of a rimfire that I can put a scope on.

Wrench mentioned the CZ 453 which is looking better and better. That set trigger is rad and I'm a sucker for a wood stock. I believe it's now between the CZ 453 or the Tikka TX1. Scope wise, I'm leaning Leupold.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've got a model 62a, pump action that I really like. While I understand it's a little less sought after than the 61, it's a still a sweet little shooter.

I'm now in pursuit of a rimfire that I can put a scope on.

Wrench mentioned the CZ 453 which is looking better and better. That set trigger is rad and I'm a sucker for a wood stock. I believe it's now between the CZ 453 or the Tikka TX1. Scope wise, I'm leaning Leupold.

Those are both good choices for sure. As far as scopes go there are tons of choices. Just don’t overscope it and keep it nice and handy.

Leupold makes some good glass to most people’s eyes for sure and as long as you aren’t relying on it for dialing that would be a fine choice. I got burned on my VX-5HD last season for whitetail in Minnesota. Elevation turret crapped out on me. Thinking it had to do with trying to dial at -15 F weather but not sure. Luckily I had a backup rifle and was able to drop two nice whitetails for the freezer. also had a VX-6HD go out on me same issue but in my home California weather. Both were repaired for free but sold after. Something to consider. Some guys have no issues with them so there’s that as well.

I’ve ran and verified several scopes over the past couple months and have had really good luck with Meopta so far. Really really good glass for the price and tracking reliability has been absolutely spot on so far. I know Doug at camerland (sponsor here) had some really good deals on brand new meoptas right now. Give them a look for sure. If you plan to dial make sure to get a Model with their “target turrets”. This will let you sight in and find your zero then unscrew the top caps and set them onto zero and then dial away. Great set up.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I just popped this coyote at 280 yards with the .17 WSM about an hour ago. She ran 20 yards up hill, right next to my 300 yard verification post and died.

Can’t recommend that cartridge enough. Ballistics are fantastic and energy is great.

Head/neck shots on rabbits work really well if you want meat savings. We only have ground squirrels here and not tree squirrels so not worried about splitting them in half. It would be a bit much on squirrels if you didn’t head shot and wanted meat.

A7381428-A693-4BEE-A8AE-79B3763A42A0.jpegFE75127D-D543-4F61-B809-24F6454D5574.jpeg

I absolutely loved my 17WSM for the caliber. The savage Bmag was capable, but almost junk. I think that a good bolt action 17wsm with a suppressor and any scope you wanted would be a good way to go.

I can also see that any accurate and depended 22lr would be light years ahead. Can shoot 550 times for $40. That’s a lot of shots and a lot of fun. Pick your poison!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll toss my vote for a cz 455 stainless if you can find one. I just took mine for it's first range session and wasn't disappointed. Held 1/4" at 50yds 5 shot group and just under an inch at 100yds (17hmr 20gr xtp) the 17gr vmax was a little worse. It makes a good practice gun for big game hunting. 20200408_195634.jpg
I also have a 452 lux and scout in 22lr. The lux is fun to get after grouse and ptarmigan with.