If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

Rob5589

WKR
Only one, it would have to be my Marlin 917v w/Rifle Basix trigger and Crossfire 4-12 with fine crosshair. Inexpensive, shoots like lazer, and the little .17 is a critter wrecker.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Kimber 82 Super America from the last few years of production with the 3 position safety to match my Model 70s.

I have a boat paddle 77/22 that is scary accurate with about anything I put into it. That will have to do as my thriftyness cost me yet another gem back in the day.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I think the only benefit of a .22lr over a .17 hmr is less expensive ammo and the spread between ammo prices narrows when you are shooting precision. If you want a cheap blaster to plink with detachable mags and shoot squirrels, I don’t think you can beat a Ruger 10/22.

If you want to plink, shoot extremely accurately and have a gun that can kill without much work from you out to 200 yards, I would go with a Savage 93r17. I think the only benefits you would get by going with a higher end rifle like a CZ over the Savage are aesthetics.

My 93r17 will shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA all day long out to 200 yards with 17 gr V-Max and a 3-9x40 red field. At 200 yards, I have exactly 9” of drop from 100. I’m about to upgrade the scope to a 4-16x44 Viper. It defies my normal logic that you get what you pay for, but this little $250 rifle is probably the most accurate rifle I own.

I rarely shoot my .22’s since buying the Savage.

CZ 457 Varmint with the hardwood stock. Shoots CCI Standard Velocity and SK Long Range Match under 1 MOA. I shot it in a Lapua Practical Rimfire Challenge that had targets out to 450 yards. The CZ is not a Vudoo but if you want a nice traditional-looking .22 for hunting and precision shooting it would be hard to beat.

Maverick1

WKR
For purely dumping magazines and sending rounds down range:

Ruger charger, 22LR, with a franklin armory binary trigger and a folding AGP stock capable of housing a form 1 quietbore suppressor.

Not inherently accurate in binary mode but the giggle switch sure is fun. Pricey, too!

ID_Matt

WKR
I bought a CZ457 varmint precision with the manners stock in 22 LR. I absolutely love it. It has the full size feel so is a great trainer for bigger guns. It shoots SK match, lapua center X, and CCI Standard all in to sub moa groups at 100. 10 shot groups at 50 will all be touching. Shot 2 rock chucks at 300 yards yesterday.... 16 mils of dope. Did not think that was possible with a 22. I am absolutely in love with the gun and if you are on the fence between 22 and 17 you can buy a conversion kit that takes 5 minutes to swap to a different caliber. If you have a silencer, the 22 is extra appealing. Standard velocity ammo is completely silent....

TheGDog

WKR
If you want to plink, shoot extremely accurately and have a gun that can kill without much work from you out to 200 yards, I would go with a Savage 93r17. I think the only benefits you would get by going with a higher end rifle like a CZ over the Savage are aesthetics.

My 93r17 will shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA all day long out to 200 yards with 17 gr V-Max and a 3-9x40 red field. At 200 yards, I have exactly 9” of drop from 100. I’m about to upgrade the scope to a 4-16x44 Viper. It defies my normal logic that you get what you pay for, but this little $250 rifle is probably the most accurate rifle I own.

^^^THIS! After I got my Savage 93R17 w/ Heavy Barrel (On sale in SoCal for $249), I never use the .22 LR anymore.

Farthest Ground Squirrel off Kwik Stix so far has been 104yds!

ID_Matt

WKR
I think the only benefit of a .22lr over a .17 hmr is less expensive ammo and the spread between ammo prices narrows when you are shooting precision. If you want a cheap blaster to plink with detachable mags and shoot squirrels, I don’t think you can beat a Ruger 10/22.

Only aesthetics? The stock options on a CZ all are much better than the cheap plastic on the savages. CZ trigger and action isn't even in the same class as the savage.

FWIW I have both... a 93R17 and a CZ 457 22. The CZ is so much better than the savage that I am wanting to get a 17 barrel for the CZ so I can switch back and forth. The savage is great and shoots good enough but I would not put it in the same class as a CZ.

Sounds like the OP is just looking for a basic rimfire to shoot out to 100. They will all do that just about fine with the right ammo and scope so if cost is a concern, the 93R would probably do just fine.

TheGDog

WKR
If you're looking to shoot out to 100yds with a rimfire... if you're in CA and have to use lead-free, definitely get you a .17 HMR.

That's why I bought my .17 - With my boys .22 LR, those Copper-22's their trajectory starts to falling off at about 75-80yds. Coincidently at this place where I was doing my Rabbit sniping, they'd be exposing themselves at about 80yds and the drop was proving frustrating. Whereas with .17 you're good to go to like 100-125yds dead-on, no hold-over.

It was glorious when I went back again the next year with the .17 HMR! I had my limit of 5 by 6:40am!

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a tikka 17hmr that I really like. Iv never owned one of the really expensive 22 lr but would like one solely for shooting matches with. That said for killing stuff you can’t beat the 17. 150 yards and in its point and click.

mcseal2

WKR
All my other rimfires sit in the safe since I got a Ruger American compact in 22 mag. It handles all the small varmints around the ranch. It’s a tackdriver with a 2-7x scope and trigger job.

Out of the ten rimfires in my collection the Kimber 82 Super America is my favorite. It is a beautiful little gun and handles and operates like many bolt action center fire rifles, along with the fact that it is very accurate. No squirrel is safe.

I have a Ruger 77/17 Target in 17HMR. I like how it feels like a full size rifle. It’s pretty cool looking with the laminate stock and target gray finish. Shoots great.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
well my Ruger 10/22 has been my main squeeze for years but I just took a look at the Bergara Micro Rifle in .17hmr and it looks sweet.