If you could only have 1 rimfire rifle

I think of rimfire as a training aid so if I could only have one it would be my Vudoo Ravage. Having said that I do like my Tikka T1X for hunting purposes.

Hey Roksliders,

I'm looking to get my be all, end all rimfire rifle. I'm leaning toward 22lr but whiling to hear other ideas.

Ideally, this gun will be for squirrels and rabbits and other small game. I'd like to be able to reach 100 yards comfortably. I'm not too into customizing my guns and don't plan on going the chassis route. Just a rifle and scope recommendation is what i'm looking for. I could see adding a bi-pod too.

Currently, the Tikka TX1

Gumbo

WKR
I just picked up a Tikka 1X to replace a 10/22 I have had for 32 years. I also have two T3s (7mm and 25-06) and this new one is a tackdriver too. I only wish it had open sights too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Ruger 77/22 that has served me well. I’m getting a Ruger American rimfire stainless for a suppressor that’s on the way.

Dominic06

FNG
I would recommend a 17hmr rifle. Bergara just came out with a bad ass 17hmr rifle. It would be good for any small game. I’ve taken many squirrels down with my savage 17hmr. I know people who compete long range with 17hmr and get out to 1000yds!!! So it is a very accurate round and an affordable one at that. I would choose this over a 22lr for small game any day. (I still absolutely love 22lr though.) I also know people who hunt wild hogs with 17hmr. 22lr is a great option, but you can be more accurate and have higher velocity with the 17hmr.

This is a link to the bergara: https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...arbon-bolt-action-rifle-17-hmr-20in/p/1688523

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dominic06

FNG
3000 FPS from a rimfire is mighty impressive.

The reasons I'm leaning away from .17 is cost of ammo, noise level when shooting and feeling like I might have more fire power than I need at close range if I intend to eat the animal.

I'm a novice when it comes to rifles to please let me know if I'm way off.

I’ve killed a ground squirrel from about 20 yards away with my savage 17hmr. I shot him in the head and surprisingly it didn’t obliterate him. I don’t eat them, but he would’ve been absolutely fine to eat.

By the way if you get a 17hmr rifle, listen closely. The savage rifle that I own is nice, but it feels cheap, it comes with 5 round mags from the factory and they work ok. I bought some of savages 10 round mags and they feed like crap right out of the box, they seem to not seat properly, and the bullets get stuck in the mag. Absolutely do not recommend 10 round mags. All the savage guns that I’ve shot are great for the price, but if I could go back, I would’ve gotten a way better rifle. But for the price, you get pretty amazing accuracy (mine also has a bull barrel, definitely not ideal for taking on a long hunt.) But if you decide on a 17hmr I would steer clear of savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
That said for killing stuff you can’t beat the 17. 150 yards and in its point and click.
^^^THIS~!

BTW .17 HMR ammo is not bad at all price-wise, especially for the accuracy and power increase you're getting.

You will straight out LOVE the accuracy of the "LaserBeam". I've popped an old 12ga cartridge sitting on a log at 80yds off the Kwik Stix. I'm tellin' you man... you will LOVE the .17 HMR!

With things like Rabbits and Ground Squirrels, you just learn to either headshot them... or at least aim for just behind or at front shoulder area, just so you're not making the guts all nasty.

One time, while I had to take a standing freehand shot at 60yds on a Rabbit, I decided it'd be more wise to aim a little more toward center of body just to ensure with my wiggling that I'd for sure hit it.... the hit that did happen? OMFG.... it literally gutted him completely and cleanly... and also split apart his pelvis! Was such a trip! The shot must have entered just below the diaphragm because the diaphragm was still intact, so the poor little guy was trying to crawl away with just his fronts. Had to hurry up and run over there to take him out to be kind.

I only mention this to explain how it does have a much nicer amount of power to it. And that this just ends up making you purposefully decide to take a little more time to aim better. And when you've posted up a sit a decent distance back from the rabbit or squirrel that the .17 HMR allows you to do... it's easy to take a little more time to line up that nicer better shot. Since you're farther away, they are not spooked.

P.S. Dunno why the gentleman is saying steer clear of the Savage. It's a hunting rifle, the lightweight stock helps to offset the lil bit of extra weight the heavy barrel give it. Also the bladed AccuTrigger is something you learn to appreciate very quickly. It's a great trigger! To raise up the cheek weld height I just slapped on a Hunterspec ammo caddy sleeve thing on the buttstock. Cheap. Raised my cheek weld to perfect height.

BTW... Rabbits do AWESOME Backflips when you headshot them with .17 HMR!

Last edited:

tuk

FNG
I am a big fan of a 10/22. At some point I would love to get a volquartsen version. But my ruger great.

iShoot17

FNG
I’m also on the CZ 452 train. I’d take the 17HM2 of the cartridges offered! I absolutely love the cartridge. It has been my go-to squirrel cartridge, in the 452 platform, for nearly 10 years.

TowerT

FNG
I just got a tikka t1x in .22lr. It shoots great and feels just like my T3. Set the triggers to be the same light, crisp pull. I’m getting both guns set up with the same scope so I can practice with the same reticle for drop and wind holds. If you’re a tikka fan you will like the t1x. I think it’s overpriced for what it is, but I was willing to pay the premium.

BBob

WKR
Three CZ 452's here. In order of preference: 22LR in a Varmint, 17HM2 in an American, 17HMR American. 17HMR rarely if ever comes out anymore with the other two options. My favorite is the varmint model, I prefer it over the Americans by a big margin and if I did it over again I'd find a Varmint in 17HM2 and sell the 17HMR.

iShoot17

FNG
Three CZ 452's here. In order of preference: 22LR in a Varmint, 17HM2 in an American, 17HMR American. 17HMR rarely if ever comes out anymore with the other two options. My favorite is the varmint model, I prefer it over the Americans by a big margin and if I did it over again I'd find a Varmint in 17HM2 and sell the 17HMR.
I own three 452s in 17HM2, one standard American, one maple American, and one Varmint (and I am also in the works of having a 452 FS currently in 22LR relined with a 17HM2 liner). I tend to prefer the American’s for woods carrying and small game hunting, while the Varmint gets the nod for ground hogs in the open fields. I personally find the American more manageable and feel the setup favors an unsupported shot (if needed). While the Varmint doesn’t feel as comfortable offhand, it is certainly preferred atop a bipod compared to the American.

If I may ask, why do you prefer the Varmint to the American?

Another great rimfire to look into is the Steyr Zephyr II. As luck would have it, I’ve managed to get some time behind a 22WMR threaded version in recent weeks. I can say that the more I handle and shoot it, I feel it is competing for my preference in a rimfire platform. Everything from fit and form, to accuracy and handling. They are slick little rifles. If grabbing a 22WMR for paper or Varmints, I tend to debate on it or one of the 452s - which didn’t use to be the case and the 452s got the easy nod every time. (Even more so that they are out in a full stock version now! I love a good looking full stock rifle!)

BBob

WKR
If I may ask, why do you prefer the Varmint to the American?
Completely personal preference. I like the way it feels in my hands pretty much overall over the American. Can't explain it really. My practical mind says that the American is lighter and makes more sense carrying it around but I just like the Varmint. I've always been drawn to slightly heavier more target oriented rifles so there's that.

iShoot17

FNG
Completely personal preference. I like the way it feels in my hands pretty much overall over the American. Can't explain it really. My practical mind says that the American is lighter and makes more sense carrying it around but I just like the Varmint. I've always been drawn to slightly heavier more target oriented rifles so there's that.
Fair enough and I figured as such! Just didn’t know if there were specifics. I hunt with a few gentleman that prefer varmint style / weight deer rifles and they tend to say the same thing - they just feel better to them.

Lawnboi

WKR
^^^THIS~!

BTW .17 HMR ammo is not bad at all price-wise, especially for the accuracy and power increase you're getting.

You will straight out LOVE the accuracy of the "LaserBeam". I've popped an old 12ga cartridge sitting on a log at 80yds off the Kwik Stix. I'm tellin' you man... you will LOVE the .17 HMR!

With things like Rabbits and Ground Squirrels, you just learn to either headshot them... or at least aim for just behind or at front shoulder area, just so you're not making the guts all nasty.

One time, while I had to take a standing freehand shot at 60yds on a Rabbit, I decided it'd be more wise to aim a little more toward center of body just to ensure with my wiggling that I'd for sure hit it.... the hit that did happen? OMFG.... it literally gutted him completely and cleanly... and also split apart his pelvis! Was such a trip! The shot must have entered just below the diaphragm because the diaphragm was still intact, so the poor little guy was trying to crawl away with just his fronts. Had to hurry up and run over there to take him out to be kind.

I only mention this to explain how it does have a much nicer amount of power to it. And that this just ends up making you purposefully decide to take a little more time to aim better. And when you've posted up a sit a decent distance back from the rabbit or squirrel that the .17 HMR allows you to do... it's easy to take a little more time to line up that nicer better shot. Since you're farther away, they are not spooked.

P.S. Dunno why the gentleman is saying steer clear of the Savage. It's a hunting rifle, the lightweight stock helps to offset the lil bit of extra weight the heavy barrel give it. Also the bladed AccuTrigger is something you learn to appreciate very quickly. It's a great trigger! To raise up the cheek weld height I just slapped on a Hunterspec ammo caddy sleeve thing on the buttstock. Cheap. Raised my cheek weld to perfect height.

BTW... Rabbits do AWESOME Backflips when you headshot them with .17 HMR!
My 17hmr is still doing it. Finally got a suppressor for it, now it’s even better. Just got done taking care of some gophers that have been vandalizing the chicken pfood. With the suppressor the chickens don’t even spook. It’s an awesome round. From 10 yard gophers to a 275 yard prairie dog. Now I don’t even have to worry about ear protection

My t1x needs a cerakote and a new stock38F05395-55C7-4FD9-918A-FC9FD6C7865C.jpeg

Last edited: