If you could only have one pack

I have a heavily modded popup 28 and I would never buy another popup pack. I like it now that I modded it but I would not recommend that pack to another person. I do beleive it is a gimmick and kinda works in it's stock condition at best. I know some people love them...but I definitely do not.

I have an Eberlestock F1 I put an exo belt on. It has batwings and I used it to haul kills/meat here in CO and it works great for me. My pack size though is 17.5" so the load lifters work for me. If you have a longer back then you would need the longer version.

What is your pack size/back measurement? height? general build? Maybe people that are sized/built similarly could give you some better advice then. Besides the fit of the pack and the frame's load carrying capacity the hipbelt seems crucial to me - that has got to fit, be comfortable and take the load without killing your hips.

If you do not have a well-fitting pack - regardless of manufacturer - your heavy meat packing days will likely be painful.

If you don't know your pack size then get yourself to an REI or similar store and have them measure you. If you have the opportunity to try a pack on *with weight in it* and then hike around the store for awhile then definitely go do that. An empty pack doesn't tell you anything about how it will feel in the mountains. Your biggest issue with a pack for the mountains will be the meat hauling and how that pack treats you then. Thats not just heavy loads - thats heavy loads up/down hills...uneven ground...half-climbing...etc....that is a health & safety issue imo that people should not ignore.

I used to live in the upper midwest and also up in Maine for a couple of years...if I had to have a pack for there and then a pack for western hunts I would have two - I would not try to condense that into one. Maybe with one of the high-end packs with a couple of different bags...like exo or kifaru. But I would rather have the right tool for the job considering the task of meat hauling in Colorado.

OP
R

reeltight

FNG
I'm a minimalist when it comes to bells, whistles and tech-iness. I prefer a pack which is lean, smooth, carries easily and works great while actually hunting with it on my back. The Mystery Ranch Pintler was and still is my dream-come-true all day hunting pack. As for size, you can definitely add more capacity easily simply by using an inexpensive load cell between the pack bag and frame. There's also plenty of daisy chain webbing externally for adding accessory bags or pouches if wanted.
I’ve been doing some more research on the pintler and believe I like it.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
For me first and foremost is finding the frame that carries heavy loads well on MY back. Then focusing on the bag for the said frame.

I am running the SG xcurve With the 6900. I really like the pack because in Bivy mode it makes a great day back and easily expands for multi day hunts and or packing out meat.

I'm a minimalist when it comes to bells, whistles and tech-iness. I prefer a pack which is lean, smooth, carries easily and works great while actually hunting with it on my back. The Mystery Ranch Pintler was and still is my dream-come-true all day hunting pack. As for size, you can definitely add more capacity easily simply by using an inexpensive load cell between the pack bag and frame. There's also plenty of daisy chain webbing externally for adding accessory bags or pouches if wanted.
I really like that tri-zip system. I have that on a mystery ranch EDC pack . Really nice

*zap*

WKR
So, keep in mind that if you have the guide lite frame and a small bag any alice pack bag will fit on that frame for a bigger bag.

Last edited:

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I am running a Kifaru Striker XL for my whitetail hunting this year. Been using it on scouting trips and day hikes. I really like this set up. It works great for hauling tree stands . Anxious to test it out for packing out a quartered deer. I also plan on using it for some overnight camping, one to two nights by pairing it with the camp bag. Once you have a frame you can pick up a different size pack on here to meet your other needs.
I recently bought a used 44mag in case I need the extra room and meat hauling capability.

Rokwiia

WKR
If I could have only one pack it would be a Seek Outside 6,300 in either their integrated or breakaway platform. I have both. It rolls down into nothing and the weight penalty for having a 6,300 vs 4,800 is a few ounces (3oz I think). In either configuration, your are below 4lbs in weight with stays removed. I think my integrated 6,300 in X-21 (versus X-42) is less than 3.5lbs in weight.

You could add a top lid, talon, and hipbelt pockets and be right around 130L--and that's without counting the capacity of their gargantuan side pockets that hold two 32oz Gatorades in each one.

I run a pop up 38 for day hunting. Love it. It will do for a bit of long hauliNg but there are better options. The packs I use:

pop up 38 - day hunts
pintler - heavier but short 1-2 nights
beartooth - 3+ nights
60 liter ultra light pack - hiking (not hunting) for 1-10 days

if you go pop up, go 38. I would take a hard look at something with a full size frame in the 40-60 liter zip code with a meat shelf for overload. Pinter or terraframe 50 in MR or the equivalent packs from one of the other good names. MR Metcalf if you want something a little bigger.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from SC and I wanted a day pack capable-system and to hopefully use it out west.

I like to do ruck-shooting comps. I backpack and camp too. I had an Eberlestock X2 and a Gregory Lassen backpack. I sold them both and bought an EXO Mtn gear 4800 system. That is now my everything backpack. I bought the crib panel so I would train with it too.

it really turned into my everything bag.

Stalker69

WKR
Seeing how happy my son is, using my brand new EXO, he likes it so much he’s keeping it, and getting rid of his others. I will have to buy me one now.

gelton

WKR
Kifaru Duplex Lite and the Muskeg 5000 does everything I can ask of it. When I first got into backpacking I would go in for 14 days, sometimes solo, and never relocate even if I wasnt getting into elk.

The 5K is perfect for everything you need for 5 days and if you haven't got anything down by then its time to move anyway.

Switched to the Muskeg 5K from the original duplex (now the tactical) and the Timberline 1 which is 7K and couldn't be happier.

Wrongside

WKR
If I could have only one pack it would be a Seek Outside 6,300 in either their integrated or breakaway platform. It rolls down into nothing and the weight penalty for having a 6,300 vs 4,800 is a few ounces (3oz I think).
While I didn't set out with the one pack goal, this is pretty much where I ended up. Way back when, I was fortunate enough to demo a Paradox Evo prototype, and liked it enough that I bought a 6300 when they were available. The Paradox/SO frame just carries so well, the bag design is so light and flexible... My other packs just sat, for years. Eventually I sold them all, but a old Bora for backup/loaner.

After many trips, miles & critters, my old Paradox is getting a little ragged. It owes me nothing and I'll replace it next year with as close to the exact same thing as is available from SO.

I have a Pop Up 28 and love it for NE whitetail day hunts, and when pronghorn hunting out west. It's built like a tank, has a very slim profile and is an adequate meat hauler. I also have a Sawtooth 45 and love it as well. It's a more capable meat hauler than the PU 28, and I use it when hunting muleys or elk.

If I had to choose either/or, I'd go with the Sawtooth 45. It can do everything the PU 28 can do, except maybe slip through real thick brush without hanging up, but it has a more comfortable frame, better organization/capacity, and I can haul an entire boned out muley with it.

Fedster

FNG
I only have one pack. It is a SO frame. I swap bags, going from EDC to multi-day outing. I carried all sort of (heavy) things with it . It works very well. Not much more to say.

If I could only have 1 pack, it would be the one I have now. This Hoodlum simply is a bad azz mother f’er. A true blue collar work horse that can handle more than I can throw at it. Or in it.