If you could only have one pack

One do it all pack, probably something in the 60L range. I don't pack in for a week so I could be wrong, that's a decent compromise size that'll work for longer trips and compress for day trips.

But a lot of companies make bag only options so why not get a little 25L for days, 40L for cold weather, and an 80L for big hunts. It costs a good amount, but each new bag is about $200 +/- so you never need to worry about one bag to do it all.

I don't want to beat a dead horse over this pack or that pack but I need to buy a pack and I'll be a one pack kind of guy...like a large day pack. Most of my hunts are tree stand hunts in SC so a pack is generally not needed but I could see myself potentially using one if I had one. But I do hike and camp some with my boys and we do have some western deer, antelope and fingers crossed an elk hunt coming up next year so, I'm in the market.

I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch pop ups. Would this suit my needs to serve as a day pack and camp pack as well as a small meat hauler or is this going to be too big for a day pack? I realize there's going to be some give and take trying to find an all-in-one but looking for some input from real experiences.

It doesn't look like there's much difference in size from the 28 to 38 when compressed so I assume I'd go with the 38. I like the idea of the side access.

Thoughts on the 28 vs 38? And I hate to ask the ford vs chevy question but are there any other packs I should consider?

Thanks,
I have a mystery ranch cabinet that is great for a day pack that expands big enough to haul a complete quartered blacktail. I used a big stuff sack in the haul area for an overnight trip once. I’ve since moved onto a kifaru reckoning, since I can cinch it all down and make it a day pack or have plenty of room for a multi day trip. I used it for a day pack on my cow elk hunt and it worked great. Hauled out two hind quarters and then some while my buddy hauled out the fronts and the rest. I was impressed how much you could pack it up with. Fortunately it was only for a mile in the muddy woods… the price is definitely a hurdle but I am happy with the quality of their gear, I like having one pack to do anything and it should last me forever.

I think the general consensus here for a while was that one very big pack (6000 cu in+) was a great all around choice, so long as it was compressible. Most of the good hunting pack makers make sure that their packs compress flat, so take your pick IMO.

68w

FNG
Just started running the exo 4800 this year. I’ve only packed out one deer in it so far but it was much better than any of the previous packs I’ve used.

For hunting/packing out animals I’ve used:
-Marine Corps ILBE which was actually fairly comfortable
-Alps commander pack board/bag combo - pretty terrible IMO gets the job done for cheap but very uncomfortable
- Eberlestock just one 75L - packed out one animal and got rid of it.
-Sitka mountain 2700 - decent but not as comfortable as my exo. Also feels heavy empty. Haven't actually checked the weights to compare

have not run any of the other big names high end bags, but so far very happy with the exo mountain gear pack.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
For me, my one pack to rule them all is my Seek Outside peregrine 3500. Works great as a day hunting pack, I’ve done minimalist five day trips with it and It’ll haul more meat that my legs can handle.
For what you are talking about, I’d probably not go with one of the “backpack hunting” packs (kifaru, exo, SG, SO) I think it’d be overkill. I’d probably get a daypack that was comfortable and well organized for whitetail hunting and then get a backpacking (non hunting brand) pack for my camping and backpacking and I’d rent a hunting pack for my big western elk hunt.
For what it’s worth, I really, really like the idea of the MR pop up packs and really, really tried to talk myself into getting one for a daypack with load ability. I borrowed a friends and it sucked as both. My ancient cabelas daypack is a better daypack and my ancient alps packframe is way better at hauling meat.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
Eberlestock F1 Frame pack. Super customizable and universal. Can carry a ton of weight. Great company and well made.

fatlander

WKR
A 4-5k cubic inch bag on a frame that fits you and has a load shelf option. Exo, kifaru, or SG would be the three I’d try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric375

Lil-Rokslider
EXO pack with an 1800 bag would be perfect. Then you could add a
larger bag if you decide to do a longer hunt

I don't want to beat a dead horse over this pack or that pack but I need to buy a pack and I'll be a one pack kind of guy...like a large day pack. Most of my hunts are tree stand hunts in SC so a pack is generally not needed but I could see myself potentially using one if I had one. But I do hike and camp some with my boys and we do have some western deer, antelope and fingers crossed an elk hunt coming up next year so, I'm in the market.

I'm leaning towards the mystery ranch pop ups. Would this suit my needs to serve as a day pack and camp pack as well as a small meat hauler or is this going to be too big for a day pack? I realize there's going to be some give and take trying to find an all-in-one but looking for some input from real experiences.

It doesn't look like there's much difference in size from the 28 to 38 when compressed so I assume I'd go with the 38. I like the idea of the side access.

Thoughts on the 28 vs 38? And I hate to ask the ford vs chevy question but are there any other packs I should consider?

Thanks,
I purchased the original pop up 28 a couple years ago and wouldn't trade it for anything at least for day hunting. It's the only pack I know of that I can lay completely prone, whether it be on a stalk or shooting at an animal, without bumping my head off the top of the frame and still be able to haul out half an elk(I know because I've done it). It might not be the best daypack or the best under a heavy load but in my opinion it's the best of both worlds. If exo or SG were to come out with something like this(and I'm not talking about the k3 frame that only adjusts 1.5") I'd certainly switch because I find their packs much more comfortable but until then I gotta give it to Mystery Ranch.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Kifaru Hoodlum on a Duplex Lite frame with Guide Lid, 2 med and 1 large pocket, 1 bottle pocket for hip belt. Done!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

SG 5900 or Kifaru Stryker XL depending. If you ever carry a tree stand then go with the Stryker xl. If you never carry awkward loads, then the SG 5900.

Superchop

FNG
Lots of great options out there, But I’m a big EXO fan. If forced to choose just 1 it would probably be my EXO 3500. Love the design & layout, and it really manages the heavy loads super well.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Exo 4800 but if I would only have one pack I would get their 6400 ci pack....If it had the horse shoe zipper I would have bought that. The large Exo and SG packs pack down so small when they aren't full it almost doesn't make sense to own a big pack and a day pack anymore

MBAlex

FNG
I am very happy with my Kifaru reckoning. Has a 98 litre capacity but use it often on day trips without the guide lid and it shrinks down nicely.