If you could only have one vest

Hey guys, just looking for a couple opinions here. I’m a Midwest guy and have also loved a good vest for Bowhunting. I’ve tried the sitka fanatic and didn’t like it, and other cheaper vests. I’m looking for a good all around Hunting vest that’s preferably in the pattern ASAT, which is ultimately making this decision the hardest. Other options would be the sitka Jetstream, Dakota, first lite Uncompahgre, or going the custom route through grey wolf or someone. Any and all info would be appreciated!

I've had or tried most all of them and it's hard to pick a favorite.

Light + Warmth but more fragile = FL Unpronounceable (In ASAT too if you can find it)
Wind blocking Gore, med weight =. Sitka Stratus or Jetsteam
Heavy + Warmth + Windblock = Cabela's Wooltimate

The one I pack with me and use the most is the FL Unpronounceable. I'd consider a Grey Wolf Woolens in ASAT, I've tried it on at a show but didn't actually take one hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have and like the ASAT Unpronouncable vest. It's warm and layers well under other puffy's but isn't tough as an outer layer.

Probably my favorite is the Sitka Jetstream lite. I have a solid color one I've worn for work a bunch. I wear it over a black Kuiu Peloton 240 an awful lot with temps in the 40's and 50's. I add a Kuiu Insulated snap shirt under them both for colder temps.

I really like the Sitka Mountain vest over the same shirt and a camo 240 hoody for hunting. The Mountain vest is a really thin, light wind stopper. It goes over the FL vest well also. It's a layer that can fit anywhere from inner to outer and just stop wind from reaching your core without bulk.

I'd have a hard time picking just one. If I had to it would be the Jetstream lite, but it's not perfect for everything.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a ton of vests. The only one I really use anymore is my Sitka Stratus. Love the Windstopper.

Chuck44

FNG
I have a few vests. The only one that adds any real warmth is the Uncompahgre.

I also have the Sitka Jetstream Lite mentioned earlier...but it is literally just a windstopper....no insulation at all! Also, Sitka no longer sells this vest. If for some reason you decided you really wanted this one, I could probably part with mine. It is an XL in Open Country that has been tapered a few inches to fit my waist better. I tried both L and XL but the L was too tight on the armholes and the XL was baggy on the waist, so I bought the XL and had it tapered; it has a narrow section of stretch material on each side that does not have the WS membrane and that is where the tapering was done.

Roy68

WKR
I purchased a solid Kuiu guide vest (original Canada version) when they first came out. It has been worn everyday from fall through spring since day one. It fits snug as that is my preference. Cuts the wind very well.

Not sure that I’ve ever used it hunting. However I’ve fixed miles of fence, worked cattle, cut wood, chopped ice, repaired equipment, welded, slept in, bled in, and lots more. It’s tough as nails and it will be in the elements tomorrow.

I have no idea what the Kuiu current guide vest is like, but if anyone has a Canada made version in a large solid they want to sell please PM me.

I have the Sitka jet stream jacket and the vest would get a hard look from me as well as kuiu when I decide to replace my old guide vest.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin and I both have Super Elite vests. I'm always complaining about my back hurting when leaning against a tree because the small back pad in the vest really isn't enough. My cousin solved that problem in his by putting a curved orthopoedic back pad like you would use in an office chair in the game pouch of his vest. It works just like having the pad in a chair when you lean against a tree, plus it adds very little weight.