If you could only have two pants...

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
There's lots of "do it all pant" recommendations however I'm starting to think it may be worth it to have a dedicated early-mid season pant and a mid-late season pant. I'm assuming there are a lot of us in the western lower 48 that hunt in August/September for antelope/elk to December/January for deer/elk. For such a wide range of conditions, rain pants aside, which two pairs of pants would you want?

OP
E

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Kutana Stretch Woven Early

Sitka Timberlines Late
I have the Sitka Mountains because at the time I could only afford one pant. Now I'm wondering if I should have waited and gone this route as they are a touch warm in early season and a bit cold in late.

H80Hunter

WKR
I haven't used all the possible options, but Sitka Ascent and First Lite Corrugate Foundry for me.

ljalberta

WKR
Mine would be Sitka Ascent or SG Dehavilland Lite for early season. If your climate gets super hot, then Ascent for sure. And probably the regular SG Dehavilland for late (or SG lite if you have mild weather in the late season).

nobody

WKR
King's XKG Ridge - Early-Mid (can be pushed into late if coupled with a decent base layer)
Blackovis Desolation - Mid-Late (I treat them with a Nikwax water resistant treatment, as they don't come treated with DWR from the factory)

I go back and forth on which ones are my favorites, but I like them both because the crotch doesn't sag to my knees and make me look like an early 2000's rap artist (cough First Lite and Sitka cough). Bonus is that both of them can be found on sales every year that put them WAY lower in retail cost than many of the other brands out there. Pants are the thing I have the hardest time with and wear out the fastest, no matter the brand or perceived quality. It's nice to find some that strike a good cost to performance balance, and these are the two I've settled on.

Sled

WKR
King's XKG Ridge - Early-Mid (can be pushed into late if coupled with a decent base layer)
Blackovis Desolation - Mid-Late (I treat them with a Nikwax water resistant treatment, as they don't come treated with DWR from the factory)
Those black ovis pants take a lot of break-in time. By the time they get quiet I'm usually restitching them. They also fit a little tighter than other brands.

It's difficult to find quiet pants that are durable. What I've found is that you need to buy early and wear them until they get quiet.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
My current favorites are

Early-mid Season
Pnuma Tenacity
-love the knee pads, venting, spacious pockets and closures at end of leg
-these might be discontinued. Wish I would have bought a second pair

Late season
Kuiu Talus (now Talus Hybrid)
-add a merino wool base layer and I am good to go in most temps
-I have even comfortably worn a pair of down under these when sitting late season tree stand

Kuiu Attack Pro is the do it all for me 90% of the time.
That being said i have the Kutana, Attack, Guide and Talus, which see use about in the extremes of hot or cold about 10% of the time.

I like my Pranas for early season. I have KUIU attacks as well, and those have sufficed for me for later season stuff down south, but I've hunted in them in the snow in the mountains as well (with a thicker base layer.)