If you could only have two pants...

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
spent the last week out west, 5-35 degrees, day hunting, 5-8 miles a day.

I'll reiterate my post from a few pages ago.

Kuiu Kutana
Kuiu Talus Hybrid

So if Kuiu put a very light knee pad and waterproof butt on the kutana, they may be versatile enough for every season and be the perfect pant. the Kutalus Pro Hybrid... look what I just did.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Kings Ridgeline for early (way under rated on here!)
Kings Preacher for mid to late
If it’s really cold the lone peaks are awesome! Often wear them ice fishing and undo the side zips when pulling the sled. They are a heavy pant so it definitely needs to be pretty cold for them though. Really is weird more guys don’t give the xkg stuff much notice on here.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
early- Prana Zions or Eddie Bauer Guide Pro (i like the cut of these better)
late- Beyond clothing testa pant, Eddie Bauer Guide Pro insulated close second.
I cant bring myself to buy hunting branded pants, had some kuiu chinook pants before and they looked at any sticks or anything and they ripped, wayyyy overpriced in my option

jd1006

WKR
spent the last week out west, 5-35 degrees, day hunting, 5-8 miles a day.

I'll reiterate my post from a few pages ago.

Kuiu Kutana
Kuiu Talus Hybrid

So if Kuiu put a very light knee pad and waterproof butt on the kutana, they may be versatile enough for every season and be the perfect pant. the Kutalus Pro Hybrid... look what I just did.

I’d buy that pant so fast. I have both of those pants and feel the same way. The corrugate foundry is close to the perfect pant, it’s pretty much what you’ve mentioned above, but it is just a touch heavy for really warm weather.

The Kutana is limited for colder weather by the vented zips not being open like they are on the Corrugate Foundry. The Talus is also limited in that way.

I have the Sitka Mountains because at the time I could only afford one pant. Now I'm wondering if I should have waited and gone this route as they are a touch warm in early season and a bit cold in late.
If you don't mind the timberlines being in the lead color, they are on sale for $155.00 right now on the Sitka website. Bought a pair for my son and myself and are loving them.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you don't mind the timberlines being in the lead color, they are on sale for $155.00 right now on the Sitka website. Bought a pair for my son and myself and are loving them.
After having pants with vents like they should have, I just can't get myself to get those without. Are the timberlines equipped with zip vents?

OG Prana Zions, and this solid green pair of Under Armour infil windstoppers Ive had for 3-4 years that I havent really used till this year. Mightve said the Timberlines before, but these older UA Infil WIndstopper pants and either FL furnace or kiln under can handle just about anything. Not sure if they make these in solid colors anymore, but these things are basically the same gore infinium windstopper material and construction as the sitka jestream, but in a pant.

Update 7/23 - Kutana and Attacks

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Since I only wear Prana Zions, I guess I get by with one. I do add a merino base when its cold. They also work for day today wear.

S.Clancy

WKR
Black Diamond Alpine Light for Early season.

RAB Vector Pants for Mid/Late Season.

I literally have only 2 pants right now and the above is what they are.

vorfield

FNG
Kuiu Kutana + bringing different base layers underneath for colder weather.

The pants are versatile + durable enough that I always want to use them

Cabelas microtex. Very versatile fabric if you spend much time in the woods. Not going to win any lightweight contests

Elkaddict

FNG
Sorry, I have 3. I only wear extremely quiet clothing for hunting thick brush/timber of N Idaho otherwise your efforts are futile. I will sacrifice waterproofing for quiteness any day.
Microtex Lite for warm season- unfortunately not made anymore and the regular Microtex still made doesn’t fit as well and is too warm
1956 Redhead Fleece Pants for mid-season- old ones fit and were made better
Code of Silence Verdigre for late season

King's XKG Ridge - Early-Mid (can be pushed into late if coupled with a decent base layer)
Blackovis Desolation - Mid-Late (I treat them with a Nikwax water resistant treatment, as they don't come treated with DWR from the factory)

I go back and forth on which ones are my favorites, but I like them both because the crotch doesn't sag to my knees and make me look like an early 2000's rap artist (cough First Lite and Sitka cough). Bonus is that both of them can be found on sales every year that put them WAY lower in retail cost than many of the other brands out there. Pants are the thing I have the hardest time with and wear out the fastest, no matter the brand or perceived quality. It's nice to find some that strike a good cost to performance balance, and these are the two I've settled on.
King preacher pants are great to.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Early/mid season is a toss up between Kuiu Kutana and Stone Glacier DH Lite. I spent the majority of 2022 in the DH Lites though and was extremely impressed. The huge side leg zips were awesome and the ability to throw knee pads in really was nice. Once the snow and cold hits, I transition to Kuiu Axis or Stone Glacier M7 depending on how I’m hunting.