If you could only own one rifle???

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
Sako 7mm rem mag that my grandpa gave me. It’s a beautiful gun and shoots great. I just recently started trying to work up a load for it with a 150 grain accubond LR

Sevens

WKR
One rifle makes it a little tough as there a couple creatures I enjoy hunting that need a little bigger rifle than everything else.

If excluding dangerous game: Winchester M70 action, Lilja #1 contour at 25”, 7mm Rem Mag, Brown Pound’r stock with a red recoil pad.

If including Dangerous Game: Winchester M70 action, Lilja #3 contour cut to 23”, 375 H&H, iron sights and barrel band sling swivel, wood stock done in a traditional “express” style with a blank from Roger Vardy, plus a Brown Pound’r stock for hunting in cold places or mountains.

Bravo6

FNG
Tikka 6.5 CTR is amazing. Just slightly too heavy for my liking for hunting, but phenomenal for shooting

Probably the wrong forum for this as it's a hunting site but there is a Podcast made by another blog that I frequent and on the podcast interviews this is the first question. Typically everyone so far has answered with something in a 5.56 or a .22lr just because the ammo is lighter to carry and the ammo is plentiful as well as spare parts. For me I'd like to think the AR I built over the COVID thing would be it. 6.5 grendel with 18" barrel and my Form 1 suppressor on it. Granted, it wouldn't be the best for larger game then deer but I'm also thinking that if it's my only rifle I also want it for varmint hunting and if the world goes to crap then another self defense weapon

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
One hunting rifle?

I think I've been slowly piecing that rifle together over time. I've got a new production Winchester M70 in .30-06 that I re-barrelled with a Bartlein CF #13 in .30-06. I just added a Timney trigger. Eventually, my McMillan Game Scout will show up for it.

It currently wears a 3-12x44...not exactly cutting edge these days and a touch chunky at 24 ounces...but, it's relatively compact, FFP and mil/mil w/ locking turrets and illumination.

It still sports the hinged floor plate - 5 rounds seems adequate and the setup is slick. That said, I love DBMs... I might end up going that direction.

I should end up with a rifle that's around 9-9.5 lbs and is incredibly versatile. I'm working on a 208 ELD-M load for it right now. I'm seeing about 2600 FPS from H4350, still need to try IMR 4955 and Superformance...but, I'd be "OK" w/ 2600 fps, so it'll come down to ES/SD/accuracy. Barring some sort of specialty hunt/tag, I intend to smash everything from critters to steel with that. Of course, the factory 165 SST SF @ 3040 fps from this barrel will also do a great job of flattening critters.

All that said, I think I actually like my Tikka T3x a bit more as a rifle. Tucked into a Manners EH1 w/ a CF 7 SAUM barrel and DBM...could certainly give me M70 a run for its money.

One rifle, period? That's probably an 18 inch AR in 6 ARC, topped with a LPVO.

Last edited:

rickco

FNG
SAKO 85 in 30-06, good for anything I hunt. Most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. Shoots all loads well. I have had great luck with the 165 Hornady interbond.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
If I could only own one it would be an ar-15 or ar-10 so that I could overthrow the government that was suppressing my freedom

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Probably this one, if just for a hunting rifle.
Rem 700 SS action, Bartlein #2 11 twist with Palma 95 chamber, McMillan hunters edge stock, trigger tech trigger, NECG sights zeroed at 100 yards. Had the bolt handle screwed down to make sure I didn't have it come off. Using a NF 2-10x32 with a mildot reticle and a ballistic cam for 165 federal Trophy bonded bullets at 2740 FPS.. 200 yard 5 shot groups, <1"
. Rifle weighs 6lbs, 6oz.

QdqhhId.jpg

JUgVwGp.jpg

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Just one and price is without a limit. Also rarity doesn’t matter....

SMIR (Super Match Interdiction Rifle) rebarreled from .300 WM to a 22” Proof in .338 Bear Cat (.338-375 Ruger). With a Leupold Mark 5 5-25 scope quick detach and 1-6 LPVO
D61B7D63-90F3-4616-984F-A46FB8BFF678.jpeg

but if we can’t do unobtainium I’d go Desert Tech SRS A2 with three barrels .338 Lapua Ackley Improved Magnum, 16” .308 and 6.5x55 AI 24” (all proof barrels)

rope

FNG
Should be getting a phone call that my GA Precision built, Mack Bro’s Ti action, carbon fiber Bartlein, Manners EH8, APA bottom metal, Kahkes 318, in a 6.5 SAUM is ready.