If you could pick 1 set of rain gear......

So I was in need of new rain gear for mountain hunting this year.
I did an objective comparison between:
Sitka stormfront, Sitka dewpoint, Sitka downpour, Kuiu Chugach NX, MTN hardware quasar, HH impertek, Cabelas, and whitewater outdoors.
These jackets/pant combos were all I could get my hands on...couldn't get FL or Kryptek because I didn't know anyone that had those pieces.

I tested for mobility, stretch, noise, pitzips, time to dry, durability, H2O resistance, breathability, weight, "features", H2O absorb, cuffs jkt, cuffs pant, pant pockets, jkt pockets

For example I spent 20 minutes in a shower with all suits...5 minutes standing 5 sitting 5 standing backwards 5 sitting backwards. I weighed all tops and bottoms before shower then after shower then after 1 hour of indirect wind from 2 fans placed on either side of the clothing rack. Also measured wetspots that formed on my absorbant under layer and tested water in from hood and cuffs etc.
I weighed clothing before shower, then right out of shower and then after 1 hour dry down.

Another test I built a little jig to put jackets in tight and then put 8oz and 16oz weights on and then measured stretch of fabric.

Another test I waited for rainy days wore same base layer then hiked 1.5miles with heartrate at 110+ then tightened hood and put glass up timed the fog time...for "breathability"
I ran several small objects across the surfaces recording the sounds to test noise and then walked with legs brushing together and tested dBs.

The only part of the testing that was subjective was "features" like cuffs and design etc.

After doing all this over several weeks and probably 20+hours of testing I settled on:

Chugach NX jacket and Sitka dewpoint pant...these were the best value per dollar by far.
The Sitka stormfront actually had the best point total at the end...but I cant spend that much on raingear for the little extra benefit from it.

The biggest eye opener for me when doing these tests was the weight of some of the clothing wet...the Sitka downpour jacket was 28oz dry 68oz wet and 41oz after 1 hour dry down. pants were 24, 40, 32. That is 3.5lbs of water added on when soaking wet...

Jd259

WKR
I'm in the market for some good packable rain gear right now not wanting to spend a fortune but want something decent and light for an up coming elk hunt what would you guys suggest or does anyone have a set they'd be willing to part with? I'm 6' 3" 210....
Thanks

I've owned and used KUIU Chugach ever since it came out. In fact, I just sold my Chugach to buy a new set of it. I've owned other gear and I've also owned KUIU Yukon. For my purposes the Yukon is completely overkill in terms of weight, stiffness and noise. I sold it without ever taking it on a hunt. I think the Chugach series is about as perfect as rain gear gets for me.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned and used KUIU Chugach ever since it came out. In fact, I just sold my Chugach to buy a new set of it. I've owned other gear and I've also owned KUIU Yukon. For my purposes the Yukon is completely overkill in terms of weight, stiffness and noise. I sold it without ever taking it on a hunt. I think the Chugach series is about as perfect as rain gear gets for me.

The Yukon is heavy. I did wear it in a really wet PNW hunt where it rained torrentially and it performed. But that was hiking from the truck and camp daily. What I found is that it gets significantly quieter as you wear and use it. After one wash it is almost as quiet as a softshell. I now wash all of my rain gear by hand with grangers or Nikwax and then tumble dry low until almost dry and then hit it on medium. It reactivates the DWR and quiets the fabric. I bought a new Yukon during the sale in brown and it was so noisy compared to my worn Yukon. I can see how you would send it back if you didn't wash it first. My Arcteryx Theta is the really noisy one but it's the nicest shell I've seen. Also have the new SEAK 3.5 layer from Firstlite. It's in between the Yukon and Arcteryx for noise. If I could have only one it would be the Arcteryx Theta AR (18oz). If hiking from the truck and not bringing a softshell the Yukon is nice but it's not a keep in the pack for emergency jacket. The SEAK I have in black for everyday type gear in my truck. No opinion on it yet.

First Lite Seak. The most Versatile I've used ever.
I still use Sitka Stormfront pants, only because a little bird told me that FL toying with releasing a Seak and Vapor pant for 2018? That is in no way set in stone, but....I am waiting until next season to add the pants to my quiver.
The Sitka's are awesome and 2 sets have served me well over the last 10 years guiding. But, the FL is ridiculous. Best ventilation and breathe-ability options I've seen.
I've worn the Chugach on a goat hunt, and while it was upper level and completely awesome, the FL just has the extra stout, fit, ventilation that won me over.
Couldn't tell you about the FL Boundry pants. Someone else probably could. I'm just gonna wait til they "supposedly" release the new model.
I guess if I was in AK then the Kuiu Yukon line would maybe outperform the FL, but I bet it would be a good race.
Maybe all of them work super well, but each one really comes down to where you will be hunting and the ambient environment?
Good Luck. FL for me