If you could pick 1 set of rain gear......

Redstag20

FNG
I am in need of a go to set of rain gear. It doesn't need to be super packable and I don't care about price. I won't be using it daily but for the couple hunting trips each year and for local outdoor activities and fishing. I am looking at the KUIU Chugach and the Sitka Cloudburst and new thunderhead. Open to others as well.

ianpadron

WKR
KUIU Yukon. Freaking bomber jacket. Idk if a more hardcore hardshell exists.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have the KUIU Teton set and have used it several times, they are light, rugged, and keep pretty much everything out. They aren't as big as the Yukon's but not meant to be worn as a primary like the Yukon either. A question I would have is where abouts are you planning on doing most of your hunting, the weather there would really drive my decision. If you are in AK then get the Yukon's, if hunting in CO/WY/MT then get the Tetons!

Daniel_M

WKR
I have the Kuiu Yukon. It's bomber but I don't think it's going into the sheep country. Fine for routine daily wear late season, but I sweat a lot hiking.

3lb2oz for the set in my sizing which is heavy considering the options for early season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
Chugach has worked great for me,just bought Yukon but think it's probably overkill for where I live.

Helly hansen Impertech .

Price
Durability
Quiet
I like the color
Rain proof function
But its a little heavy and likely not as breathable as some

Kyle

My HH Impertech weighs about what my original Kuiu Chugach (made in Vancouver, BC) weighs......about a pound a piece for tops and bottoms on each piece from each company. Both have their purpose and are what I have settled on for rain gear in BC.

bates

WKR
Chugach pants have worked great for me

I have both Chugach and Yukon jackets and like them both just depends on the hunt

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've spent a ton of time testing various Rain Gear. I know I will catch some flak for this, but time and time again I find Gore Tex derived gear to be the best consistent performer. Long Term durability is where it is at. I've tested other fabrics, but after a few seasons is where Gore Tex steps ahead. I have also found that while light weight backpacking gear is great, it is designed for the crowd who stays ON the trails. Backpacking hunting is much rougher on gear than hiking and as such I always fall back to gear designed for hunting by hunters. The combo of features and design become more evident the more time you spend in the gear.

My favorite all time rain gear is the Sitka Stormfront Series. It's tough, breathes, and keeps me dry. Biggest complaint is that for a "Guide Quality" design they should reinforce the knee area with another layer. Well that and its weight does not make it conducive to backpack pursuits. :)

However, as backpack hunter I really like the Dewpoint series. It continues to amaze me in terms of durability and performance. If I could only pick one, I would probably stick with the Dewpoint.

Another jacket that I tested pretty hard was the First Lite Vapor Storm Lite. Its pretty decent jacket for the price, but I just prefer how the Sitka fit me. I think the 37.5 technology is getting better and better and hope that it helps drive change and innovation in the marketplace.

Another unique set of rain gear is Sitka's new Thunderhead series. Its no friend to the backpack hunter in terms of weight, but its unique face fabric makes it among the quietest rain gear I have tested. It was great for the tree stand this spring waiting on bears and I think is a great option for folks who don't mind the weight and are looking for a quieter than average set of rain gear.

Sitka Rain Jackets - Stormfront vs. Cloudburst vs. Dewpoint - Which Works Best for Your Hunt! / BlackOvis Community
Here is a decent blurb by Black Ovis. I wish the manufactures would do this on their website. As companies grow the products they offer become more specific in their design intent. I have found that the best way to maximize performance is to match the design intent of the product with the use. Sometimes cross overs work ok, but more often than not its a sure way to disappointment.

Right now I'd have to say my Chugach is my favorite, but I have yet to put the Yukon's through there paces, so verdict is still out on them. I also have a pair of the Tetons, and I do like them, but for overall wt., durability, and waterproofness, I really like the Chugach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
Yukons are bomber, but not a backpacking layer - too heavy. I wish Sitka would turn all their rain gear with a solid color option.

marktole

WKR
Yukons are bomber, but not a backpacking layer - too heavy. I wish Sitka would turn all their rain gear with a solid color option.

I second that statement. Have been looking at their stormfront because it's offered in solids, but it's going to be overkill for Colorado I'm thinking.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I second that statement. Have been looking at their stormfront because it's offered in solids, but it's going to be overkill for Colorado I'm thinking.

I have a setup of the Stormfront in Moss and I will agree unless we get like a straight 3-7 day storm that comes in, The stormfront is way to much rain gear for Colorado. But id never sell it as its one of my favorites. I also have a set of the downpour in Forest I really like alot. Still a bit heavy for backpacking but its quiet which I like alot. My best rain Jacket for Backpacking Ive found is the Firstlite Vapor at 12 ounces its super nice and provides great protection for those quick storms that we get in Colorado.

bcimport

WKR
I'll vote Helly Hansen Impertech as well. I've had high end 3 layer hunting and mountaineering shells (event, gore Tex pro and paclite) and all seem to disappoint. The Helly is predictable and always water proof when you really need it. When someone invents a shell that's actually waterproof AND breathable enough to hike in maybe I'll give one a try but it's 98% black magic voodoo marketing at this point.

AXEL

WKR
So far, buying my first highend shell in 1967, wearing working in forestry in BC and recreating, I have used most available from Canada, the US, the UK and Yurp.

I like the orginal Integral Designs, Calgary-made eVent shells for moderate rain and use Impertech bibs for sloshing through BC Coast and VI winter rains. I have some 1990 Cabelas, coated Treebark bibs that are superb, so I use these rather than any GT or other WPB panrs.

The best shell I have EVER had, is an Apoc, Neoshell from Westcomb of Vancouver, big $$$$$, but totally kicks butt over any other I have had.They made some shells in Multicam some years ago, but, that was a Japanese military contract and they will not make more.....I pestered them, but, no dice.

So, all in all, given Westcombs size range, where they eliminated XXL, needed by we Neanderthals, I gotta agree with BCImport, the Impertech is hard to beat overall.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Only one pair on a small budget: Helly Hansen Impertechs.

Only one pair on a medium budget: Helly Hansen Impertechs.

No budget: Arc'teryx or Helly Hansen Impertechs

Impertechs will keep you dry better than any of the others, that's the most important aspect of rain gear afterall. Some will be more breathable, lighter, more pockets, etc., but they won't keep you as dry in never-ending wet weather. So if you only have one set, and your goal is to stay dry, that's it.

Akicita

WKR
Arcteryx LEAF Alpha Lt or Arcteryx Alpha LEAF Gen 2.

MJsOP0U.jpg

1signguy

WKR
Sitka Cloudburst or Dew Point- I use both. The Dew Point is perfect for the early season monsoon/afternoon rain storm (Aug/Sept)when temps are decent and you grab it out of the pack... The Cloudburst (for me) is really a little heavy for a pull out and use type of jacket on the trail. I typically use it as my outer layer when temps are colder and there is wind. I add or remove layers under it to control my temp...