If you had $1000 to spend on binos...

Jimbob

WKR
I have no issues buying used, it has allowed me to have some top tier gear that I otherwise would not be able to afford. The reward of better gear against the risk of an abused product has always played out in my favour over the years.

I had a a budget for binos a little less than the OP and I was set on getting the Zeiss conquest demos. Until a pair of like new previous model Trinovids came up in the classifieds. A little research and I think the risk of used Trinovids is worth it as it really gets me into some alpha level glass for less than $800.

Good luck on your purchase.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just scored Used EL 10x42 Swaros on Craigslist for 1000$ Couldn't believe my luck. Did a post about it if you search Craigslist. Was pretty epic find. even for the older version with Swarobright instead of swarovision. They are nice glass.

Just scored Used EL 10x42 Swaros on Craigslist for 1000$ Couldn't believe my luck. Did a post about it if you search Craigslist. Was pretty epic find. even for the older version with Swarobright instead of swarovision. They are nice glass.

Nice find

Check out the tract toric. Around $600... gets really good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I would make sure that any older or used glass has the updated "hd" or ld glass. Not sure what year that became standard. I looked through my hunting partners older (mid 2000's) swarovski bino s and my 2014 Mavens blew them out of the water in brightness and clarity. He agreed. I don't think new swaro vs new Maven would have been a noticable difference though so I'm guessing there was a jump in technology somewhere between the two products mfg dates explaining the obvious difference.

LandYacht

WKR
I'd look through them all first. Different eyes result in different opinions. I am not a fan of how cool Swaro glass picture wise. I seem to be able to pick out game easier with my Nikons and Zeiss binos. Thought that Swaro was the ticket reading opinions until I started using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I just had this same issue, went with the Ziess Conquest 10x42, should arrive tomorrow.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Just got some 10x42 SLC HD (2013 like new) for $1000. Someone posted them on Rokslide Gear Deals about 10 days ago. If your patient (I'm not) you can find some good deals.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with the Maven B2 recommendations. If not the B2 for its size, then the B1. If the budget is a problem then I suggest the Tract Toric. You can bag a new set for less than $700. I'm in the middle of a review series on the Maven B1, Tract Toric, Styrka S 7 and S 9, the GPO Passion HD. I've owned the Maven B2 and B3 for ever since they came out, and as a combo they will do anything I need done with hand held binoculars. The Toric is a real eye opener for bang for your buck value. Best thing you will get for the price. All of the above glass play at least the level of the Conquest HD and up to and including the new Swarovski SLC.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also give the nod to the 9x45 Maven B2's. I spent 7 years with Vortex Viper HD 10x42's, tried a few other binos before and during the 2016 season including Razor 10x42's and they were alright but not worth the upgrade to me. I found a pair of lightly used 9x45 B2's and pulled the trigger. The Mavens are great binos. FOV and clarity/color were two standout improvements for me.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/62085-maven-b2-9x45.html?highlight=maven

ianpadron

WKR
Meopta.

I went with the Meostar HDs in 12x50 and have ZERO regrets. Check out the reviews on them, most put them on par with Swaro SLCs for a lot less money.

Mavens were my second choice, haven't heard a single negative thing about them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The new Leica Trinovid HD are $999 list price and are fantastic. In the low light and long range testing I did recently they are within a minute of the ELs and Ultravid HD+.

excaliber

WKR
for 1000.00 there's a few decent options

Look for a nice used pair of Svarovski's (SLC) or Zeiss
Zeiss Conquest HD's are around 800.00 new and are excellent for the money.
The Cabelas HD or Meopta's are a bit over that but very nice too.

Personally I would not buy anything Vortex as they are not in the same league as the above mentioned Binos.

Chris D

FNG
I just recently bought a new set of Leica Trinivoids HD 10 X 42. This is the first "high end" glass I have purchased, been using Nikon Monarch's for a LONG time.
I am very impressed with the Trinivoids HDs. From the Nikon to the Trinivoids, it's like going from a old tube television to a HD TV.
I compared them with my buddies Swaro EL's 10 x 42, my Trinivoids are not quite as good as the Swaro's, but it's close. The Swaro's are 2X the money as the Trinivoids, and they are not 2X better glass (at least for my eyes).
Cabelas had a sale and I got them for $900.

chris <><

I'll just throw this out there but for New Mexico and colorado Swarovski habicht 10x40 can be found for less then a 1000 fairly easily. I spent 20 minutes or so with them fairly recently with a fellow birder and they are magnificent.

Clarktar

WKR
Easy, buy my Maven 9x45s and put the two hundred left over somewhere ekse

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk