If you had $1000 to spend on binos...

vaeVictis

FNG
What would you go for?

Currently I'm looking at getting my first set of binos, and I have a budget of around $1000. Use will be for deer and elk hunting, probably in either New Mexico or Colorado.

Currently looking at
1) Grabbing something used
2) Maven B.2 9x45 or 11x45
3) Vortex?

Advice? Thoughts?

Much appreciated!

Trial153

WKR
If I was on a budget I would get a pair of demo Zeiss Conquest Hd from red hawk rifles... I think you hard pressed to find better glass sub 1K

Beendare

WKR
Conquered-
Good question. I own Zeiss, Swaros, Vortex and Nikon EDG's...my take;

It used to be nothing came close to the big 3; swaro, zeiss, leica....that is no longer true. The old miniker, spend as much as you can afford is still true...but I've seen binos that were exceptional and very close in performance to those big 3.

One thing you will find; binos are a personal preference. If you can compare them side by side outside in low light....THAT will tell you what you need to know.

The ones I'm impressed with at lower price point; Nikon Monarch 5 and 7, Meopta [cabelas euro same mnfr] but I haven't seen the mavens and many others

I would; spend time on the birding forum where they compare the crud out of these binos side by side. Develop a buy list. Then shop for them on sale...I just bought my EDG's for $1240...new. There are screaming deals if you are patient and shop around.

Last edited:
The Cabelas Euros 10x are on sale right now for $999 plus should be an additional 10% off with free shipping code. They are really nice. Not a hige difference between those and the Swaro SLC and I have those. Below those I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 that I think are really really good and considerably less $$.

Used swarovski. GREAT value and if you take care of them you will get most of your money out of them if you decide to sell and upgrade in the future. As stated above try to look through several different ones so you can see what you like best before you buy.

KBC

WKR
I'm by no means terribly experienced but I had enough money to buy something in the Viper HD price range and picked the Nikon Monarch 5 in 10x42 over the vipers for a fair amount less. The price difference between the two didn't affect my decision but was a nice bonus after the fact.

The Cabelas Euros 10x are on sale right now for $999 plus should be an additional 10% off with free shipping code. They are really nice. Not a hige difference between those and the Swaro SLC and I have those. Below those I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 that I think are really really good and considerably less $$.

Plus an extra 10 percent off using active junky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Maven 9x45.

I would only buy used if I knew the owner for something $1k plus especially as complex as high end optics.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah I'd get on the birding forums and read at that price range.....I think you'll have a hard time finding glass better than the Maven units at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Brand new
Zeiss Conquests
Leica Trinovids

Used
Either of the above
Swaro SLC

lif

WKR
I am actually on the same program as you with $1000 bino budget right now. I've loo through a lot of glass lately comparing one to the other. I am also likely going used and was looking for best bang for the buck. I just today spent some time with new Swarovski slc and el models as well as vortex razor. My conclusion was they were all very comparable. Warranties are obviously good for both. I think I will personally look for the best used deal on one of those 3 models. Good luck.

JNDEER

WKR
used swaro will beat all the other brands.

if you cannot find used swaro then go to a shop and look through a pair of EL and SLC. If you like the glass in the EL then get the cabelas meopta..if your eyes favor the SLC then get the Vortex Razor's.

used swaro will beat all the other brands.

if you cannot find used swaro then go to a shop and look through a pair of EL and SLC. If you like the glass in the EL then get the cabelas meopta..if your eyes favor the SLC then get the Vortex Razor's.
I am curious about the second part of your post. Can you explain the similarities between the swaro els and cabelas meopta and the slc and vortex razor similarities? As I said I'm just curious. Thanks.