If you had a new long action and only shot copper...

Cutting edge or badlands precision for your bullets.

I would go 30 caliber or larger. The smaller diameter monos in my experience just don’t seem to have the killing power that cup/core bullets do. I’m a fan of the old tried and true 300 Win Mag.

But if you want a big thumper go 300
Norma Mag (Improved version is even better) or 300 RUM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A 270 is a killer with modern bonded bullets and has very light recoil.

I have one that does 3050 fps with 136 terminal ascent. Death ray.
This was my first thought also, glad someone else said it before I did.😉

But we are far more function than fashion, can’t see most guys building new in fashion rigs on the ole .270 win but that’s my fav long action cartridge hands down and true 600 yrd. Know of a huge bull elk folded at 560 with 130 ttsx launched between 3100-3200 and about 2000 impact. Zero issues, no bullet recovered, top of heart broadside. About my recoil limit un-braked 7 lb all up ultralight staying moa in field conditions as well. Avoid brakes at all cost, awful things for hunters.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
560 with 130
He is trying to stay with copper. 270 certainly does it, but I'd be looking at a faster twist to "modernize it" with a little more umph, but with that experience, does it really need it? 6.8 Western? Plenty of that on the shelves...I'm not sure a lead-free load has been put out yet though.

If you were to 06 what twist rate would you suggest. I have one that I think I might rebarrel for next season

Unckebob

WKR
This was my first thought also, glad someone else said it before I did.😉

But we are far more function than fashion, can’t see most guys building new in fashion rigs on the ole .270 win but that’s my fav long action cartridge hands down and true 600 yrd. Know of a huge bull elk folded at 560 with 130 ttsx launched between 3100-3200 and about 2000 impact. Zero issues, no bullet recovered, top of heart broadside. About my recoil limit un-braked 7 lb all up ultralight staying moa in field conditions as well. Avoid brakes at all cost, awful things for hunters.

I have a 20", threaded, lightweight 270 Win barrel on order to go with my 24" 280AI barrel. It will be cerakoted a kind of black to match my action.
Obviously, I envisage different uses for the two barrels.

Why did I choose 270 Vs one of the new hot cartridges?

It passed the Cabelas test?

I can walk in there today and pick from multiple factory loads from corelokd to Precision Hunter. While I don't use factory loads much anymore, the mass of 270 factory ammo sold means there will be brass for decades to come.

I seriously considered something like a 6.8 Western, but nixed it because I fear it might go extinct in my lifetime.

OP
snopro176

snopro176

WKR
And a 6.5

You need a power/punch upgrade not a duplication.

At least that is what I read.
The 6.5 is a sweety, the 270 is a hammer but I just don't like it as much, nothing special savage 110, and they're both RH. Which I've shot my whole life so I'm ok with it. Just figured I'd do a lefty a bit bigger and I'd be covered, although if I drop all this money on a new gun I'll never shoot the 6.5 or 270 much if at all. But they'll be great for the rest of my right handed family. Maybe 300prc would round out the safe the best.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I guess I shouldve mentioned I already have a sub .75moa 270win in the safe as we speak..

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

In this case, I think you want a long action 30+ cal magnum. Many examples have been given, but I’d go with a good old 300 win mag especially for a hunting rifle.

If you are a target shooter and care about case life, 300 prc is a good idea, just not necessary if you throw your brass away.

tak

WKR
My 20" 300prc is fun but I am shooting Berger's. My next rifle is going to be an 18" 7prc. 7prc over 7 mega because there will be complete industry support just like 6.5prc and 300prc.

Copper of choice is Cutting Edge.

I've been thinking my next one might be a short(er) 7prc, but didn't think it would be that short.
What velocity do you get in your 300prc, and what do you expect in an 18" 7?

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm working on building a la/mag specifically for copper. I'm building a 7 saum to shoot the cutting edge 160 grain lazers. I'm real curious about the McGuire ballistics bullets too. Pricy, but I can't seem to find anyone with real world experience using them.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I have a 20", threaded, lightweight 270 Win barrel on order to go with my 24" 280AI barrel. It will be cerakoted a kind of black to match my action.
Obviously, I envisage different uses for the two barrels.

Why did I choose 270 Vs one of the new hot cartridges?

It passed the Cabelas test?

I can walk in there today and pick from multiple factory loads from corelokd to Precision Hunter. While I don't use factory loads much anymore, the mass of 270 factory ammo sold means there will be brass for decades to come.

I seriously considered something like a 6.8 Western, but nixed it because I fear it might go extinct in my lifetime.
It’s definitely one of the 20th century top picks that should stand the test of time through the 21st. They can be vanilla or boring but lots of effective things are.

I see op has the Jack O’Connor option covered. Sounds like something saucy will be coming to this project.

Unckebob

WKR
It’s definitely one of the 20th century top picks that should stand the test of time through the 21st. They can be vanilla or boring but lots of effective things are.

I see op has the Jack O’Connor option covered. Sounds like something saucy will be coming to this project.

One of the reasons I ordered the 280AI barrel was the knowledge that I could form brass from 30-06 brass (and apparently 270 brass). That is my plan b if I cannot find 280 or 280AI brass.

If OP wants something saucy, I think he should pick a cartridge where he can form brass himself if needed from commonly available brass.

I am not a magnum guy, but I would be shocked if there aren't spicy cartridges available based on something like 300 WM.

Last edited:
I've been thinking my next one might be a short(er) 7prc, but didn't think it would be that short.
What velocity do you get in your 300prc, and what do you expect in an 18" 7?
My chronograph gave up the ghost so I'm not sure what speed I'm getting. Probably close to 2800fps with my 230gr Berger OTM.

I only plan on shooting 162gr ELD-M bullets from the 18" 7prc. So they should still be traveling quick.

I'm doing a 30 Nos,, 9 twist 21-22 inch barrel. Sitting on a pile of 215 bergers and 199 hammers. Hope to have it back in time to find a bear before the end of the year.

Shraggs

WKR
I'm in the 338 camp...

338 Edge
338 RUM
338 Win Mag
33 Nosler

In that order.
Have you consider a browning blr as a lefty? Np with long action magnums either.

Could handload in hammer hunters a 308, 338 fed or 358 win hot. Nice mountain package light and quick handling