If you had to pick... Seek Outside Goshawk or Peregrine?

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions and input. I hunt east and west, white tail and elk (and more). If you had to pick a between these which would you pick... the Seek Outside Peregrine or the Seek Outside Goshawk? Why?

Not looking for input on other bags... Thank you though

Trial153

WKR
Depends on how many days your packing in... for day hunts and up to three days the Pereigan is hard to beat. Over that the Goshawk for sure. Just one...when in doubt go bigger.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how many days your packing in... for day hunts and up to three days the Pereigan is hard to beat. Over that the Goshawk for sure. Just one...when in doubt go bigger.
Not entirely true once beyond the surface. The Peregrine main bag maybe 3500, but the outside sleeves, zippered face pockets make it closer to the goshawk size if not bigger. Add a top pocket on it and it can do everything that the goshawk can.

Plus my "like" of the smaller side pockets like the goshawk has have died. They seem to be close to worthless these days given you don't carry nalgenes as often (water bladders and sawyers) and not a whole lot more they give you.

Equally so, nothing stops you from throwing a talon on a Peregrine...

Phaseolus

WKR
I have both the Peregrine and the Goshawk bags. I bought the Peregrine first and used it on a coupIe of hunts and several backpack trips last year. Two elk were hauled using it, it’s a great and comfortable pack frame bag combo. This Colorado archery season we had a very strong winter storm that left snow and was cold right when I wanted to go, I knew I would need more cold weather gear than i could carry with the Peregrine on this week long trip and since I live in the same valley where Seek Outside are made I called the shop hoping to buy a Lanner pack bag on short notice. They did not have one in stock and I decided to buy the Goshawk. It was enough bigger than the Peregrine (I have a top lid for it) so that I could carry more gear. I like the Slick ‘clean’ Goshhawk bag. It’s less strappy and probably a bit more waterproof do to less stitching. The lack of external zippered pockets make it less usefull as my day hunting pack. Overall I prefer the Peregrine because it has so many useful pockets, the big side pockets are really great. It is much better than the Goshawk as a day hunting pack once the camp gear is out of it. On this years hunt I stored my day gear in the Goshawk while using it as my day pack. The long side zipper allows you to access any gear in the bag but it is loose in a big bag and thus not as well organized as it would be in the Peregrine. It will hold more bulky gear than my Peregrine will. The side pockets are smaller than the Peregrine in height so you won’t be able to stick a spotting scope or other tall piece in it. I wish a Lanner bag had been available since my pack must double as my day pack on backcountry pack in hunts. A Goshawk would be a fine bag except for being less useful as a day hunt bag, adding a talon would Probably fix this.

Edit: I used my Goshawk during rifle elk season with a blaze orange talon on it, this really worked well for accessing smaller stuff, I like the talon addition.

Last edited:
Easy, Lanner. I have a peregrine and I’d want a little bigger for anything more than an overnighter.

JohnB

WKR
No Peregrine experience but I've been quite happy with my Goshawk. I just used it for a 10 day trip and a few day trips as well. I've been a backcountry skier and climber for a lot of years so have always gone for simple packs without a lot of pockets. I don't have a lid but use a small silnylon dry bag for all that stuff in my main bag.

I use the side compression straps and rarely use the back panel compression so I've always got access via the side zip. If the weather isn't really shitty I'll scoot the top zipper down below the roll top closure so that I can either access the top or bottom of the pack separately.

OP
wildernessmaster

wildernessmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Peregrine and the Goshawk bags. I bought the Peregrine first and used it on a coupIe of hunts and several backpack trips last year. Two elk were hauled using it, it’s a great and comfortable pack frame bag combo. This Colorado archery season we had a very strong winter storm that left snow and was cold right when I wanted to go, I knew I would need more cold weather gear than i could carry with the Peregrine on this week long trip and since I live in the same valley where Seek Outside are made I called the shop hoping to buy a Lanner pack bag on short notice. They did not have one in stock and I decided to buy the Goshawk. It was enough bigger than the Peregrine (I have a top lid for it) so that I could carry more gear. I like the Slick ‘clean’ Goshhawk bag. It’s less strappy and probably a bit more waterproof do to less stitching. The lack of external zippered pockets make it less usefull as my day hunting pack. Overall I prefer the Peregrine because it has so many useful pockets, the big side pockets are really great. It is much better than the Goshawk as a day hunting pack once the camp gear is out of it. On this years hunt I stored my day gear in the Goshawk while using it as my day pack. The long side zipper allows you to access any gear in the bag but it is loose in a big bag and thus not as well organized as it would be in the Peregrine. It will hold more bulky gear than my Peregrine will. The side pockets are smaller than the Peregrine in height so you won’t be able to stick a spotting scope or other tall piece in it. I wish a Lanner bag had been available since my pack must double as my day pack on backcountry pack in hunts. A Goshawk would be a fine bag except for being less useful as a day hunt bag, adding a talon would Probably fix this.
Yea I have the Saker but same kind of set up... I am thinking with my Saker and Peregrine the Goshawk is something I may never use. Just put it up for sale.

peregrine is my choice.... i narrowed it down to those 2 as well, and liked the layout of the peregrine better..... in hindsight, i would have had an easier choice now, the peregrine is better layout to me.... it's my blacktail pack, and i like the organization

tdot

WKR
You could always have a custom pack made. Take the 4800ci bag of the Goshawk, add the back panel from the Peregrine, then either side pocket you choose. Best of both worlds.

Lawnboi

WKR
Only personal experience with the peregrine. Little small IMO for anything but maybe warmer overnight. Also it almost had too much organization, I never found myself using any of the front pockets.

I would decide on whether you use a spotting scope or not. If you use a spotter, I’d go bigger with the side pockets, no spotter, the goshawk with a lid would be up there on my list.

Yea you can always strap stuff on a smaller pack. That’s just a pain in the ass, even more so when something is on the ground.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but no way I could use an xpac material pack for white tails here at home. Way to loud when it’s cold out.

If I were buying another SO pack, I’d get a lanner without the center organization thing. And a lid, SO has lids figured out.

Rokwiia

WKR
The Peregrine starts out 7oz heavier. I always choose more volume if the weight penalty is manageable. In this case, the weight penalty goes to the smaller pack.

I'd add top lid to the Goshawk and you have quick access to a lot of space. Otherwise, as tdot mentioned above , I'd go the custom route starting with the 4,800 bag size.

CoMtnMike

FNG
I'd vote Peregrine primarily for the rear pocket and also the side pockets. I have the Lanner which is the same just a bigger main bag. I have food easily accessible in the side pockets and layers coming on and off go in the rear pocket super fast, no adjusting straps or noisy zippers... I bought a peregrine 2400 for day hunts, but end up using the Lanner. 2400 is big enough, but I miss the big rear pocket too much...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I want the Goshawk, primary reason is the SO bags cinch down well, so it is easy to make the pack work for a lesser volume. It is ungainly to make a bag that is too small work as you start having to hang stuff off the bag or put things between the bag and frame.

I want the Goshawk, primary reason is the SO bags cinch down well, so it is easy to make the pack work for a lesser volume. It is ungainly to make a bag that is too small work as you start having to hang stuff off the bag or put things between the bag and frame.
very true with SO, big bags don't matter with them, they're so light. i had the peregrine, just because i don't ever need more volume than that, and i do like some external storage, but i think the Goshawk would suit most better, and i probably would have ended up with that bag later. the SO frame just doesn't work for me, i really wanted it to, it just doesn't get along with my body shape and how i like carrying weight.... not the pack's fault, it's just me, and how personal pack fit.

they have a good thing going, it's the lightest and most adjustable pack system around i think, and well thought out and built. i even like the belt adjustments, it's a cool clever design.... everything about them, i just wish they fit me better. great packs

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same decision to make 3 years ago and ended up buying the goshawk and Merlin daypack combo. I also have a top lid but haven’t had a need for it the last two years. I have used this combo on 3 archery elk hunts along with wisconsin whitetail and turkey seasons. If I had to buy again I would not change.

One hunt out west was a September backpack camp, and this combo was obviously enough room for 5+ days.

Two hunts out west have been day hunting from the truck. When day hunting I keep my food, kill kit, first aid kit, rain gear, and puffy in the goshawk, with trekking poles strapped to the side. In the Merlin I normally keep a light fleece layer and water bladder. This cinches down well, though it does look pretty “strappy” with all of the cinch straps hanging off. I almost never open the roll top of the goshawk since you can access everything through the side zipper. When it’s time to pack meat, the meat goes in the goshawk and almost everything else fits in the Merlin. You could also put meat on the load shelf if you wanted. The only negative to carrying meat with this set up is if you strap your bow to the back of the Merlin, the weight gets further away from your body. I still prefer this so I have two hands free for trekking poles. I’ve now helped pack 6 elk with this set up, and once I got the fit dialed in i think it carries pretty well, though I don’t have much to compare to.

Now here is where this combo really shines FOR ME, ymmv. The versatility for an eastern/western hunt combo is awesome. For Wisconsin whitetail hunts, I strap my climber to the goshawk and can fit all of my bulky cold weather layers and gear in the bag for long hikes in. For Wisconsin turkey season I run just the Merlin, since it will fit everything I need for day hunts. We have a pretty active style of turkey hunting and put on a lot of miles. It’s way nicer to carry your gear and a turkey back to the truck in a real pack as opposed to slinging it over your shoulder for a mile or two.

Overall I have really grown to appreciate the versatility of this set up, and the gatekeeper strap system and the way everything cinches down so well is a big part of that.

Buzby

WKR
I went with the goshawk. I prefer a big simple bag without extra pouches/zipper. If I need organization, I’ll use smaller bags inside.

Dvl_Doc

FNG
No Peregrine experience but I've been quite happy with my Goshawk. I just used it for a 10 day trip and a few day trips as well. I've been a backcountry skier and climber for a lot of years so have always gone for simple packs without a lot of pockets. I don't have a lid but use a small silnylon dry bag for all that stuff in my main bag.

I use the side compression straps and rarely use the back panel compression so I've always got access via the side zip. If the weather isn't really shitty I'll scoot the top zipper down below the roll top closure so that I can either access the top or bottom of the pack separately.
Thanks for the clarification on the side-zip use in conjunction with the roll-top.