If you only had a week....

G Posik

WKR
I would do it in a heart beat. If you drive faster you could hunt longer! I would go if I had less time. It is 16 hours for me to get to my area in Colorado without pushing it.

Glenn

bz_711

WKR
This will be my third year of doing exactly that...so yes! I think I would even consider it for 3 days...

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Even if it meant you might have to give up a lot of the time u would spend hunting locally? I've only scouted so far but fell in love with the mountains and the farther away from the road or trail the more alive I felt I love being that alone. Honestly I was scared at first but after I got there I felt like I was home and I saw a bunch of elk which only fueled my fire! Lol I think I just might do it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are only so many seasons in a lifetime. If you can afford the tag and gas, go for it!

bnsafe

WKR
3 no, 5 absolutely, but i would figure out how to squeeze an extra day or two in there. that would be the best solution, and where theres a will theres a way

Swede

WKR
Your decision is a very personal choice. It is also a matter of priority. When you say yes to one thing , you have said no to all true alternatives. You did not say how well you know the area you are considering hunting, or how well you know elk hunting. Statistically your chance of kiling an elk is very low. Before I spent over a $1,000 hunting a critter I do not know, in an area I am not familiar with, I would consider what other hunt opportunities I have. On the other hand if you know your area and the elk, then you would not need anyone's advise would you?

sk1

WKR
if you are pretty familiar with elk and elk hunting, yes for sure.
or
if you are familiar with the land and have a pretty good idea of where elk reside, yes for sure
or
if this is something you have always wanted to do and can live with the fact you may not get an elk or ever see one,..but enjoy the experience and plan on learning for future hunts, yes again

Was that a real question!?!?! I know that I am a little closer to things being in CO but I have gotten off work at 10 pm drove 3 hours to my trailhead hiked in for 4 hours in the dark all just for a day hunt on a sunday and been back to work first thing in the morning. All in an OTC unit.

OP
Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it was Ew Lol I drove 15hr hiked in 4.5 miles camped hiked all day the next day camped then hiked out total of 15 miles and drove 13hrs home just to scout. I guess I should be more specific . I am planning another trip to scout and thought hell it will be during the season so maybe I should just get my tag. What I am planning is a 10 day in 2013 and after buying a lot of gear and still buying I have less fun money for deer season here. Being it would be my first elk hunt is that enough time for a rookie to have a real chance at success?

a3dhunter

WKR
Depends on if I could make it happen every year. If yes, then I would go. If not, then no.....you won't know what you are missing.
The benefit to going every year is the 5 days this year is part of future success as well, learning the area you are hunting year after year.