If you owned NVGs, would you bring them on a hunt?

I recently purchased a PVS-14 monocular I had been wanting for a while. I mainly use it for security around my property, night hiking, and coyote hunting.

That said I did recently find out it’s legal to carry with me where I will be elk hunting this fall, so I’m considering throwing it in my pack.

It would be used for hiking to and from hunting/glassing locations during periods of darkness. It would also be nice to hand to my hunting partner if I was quartering and skinning after dark (bear country.)

Weight of everything plus the nightcap harness is about a lb, so a relatively high weight penalty all things considered.

So while I didn’t purchase it for this use, it was an expensive investment and could offer some increased SA and safety. That said due to its cost I do worry about it getting lost/stolen/etc. Not something I would feel comfortable leaving in the truck if I later decided it wasn’t worth the weight.

Just curious what people who have either owned or used NV think, I’m sort of on the fence at this point. Take it or leave it in the safe at home?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see where you gain any advantage over a quality light with NVG's in that situation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I haven't used NV in about 15 years, but I'd leave it. I don't know if there's ever been a time hunting, or any other time for that matter, when I've wanted to see something in shades of green without being able to tell how close or far away it is. A bright headlamp weighs 3 ounces, costs $30, and takes up way less space. And you won't be as worried about losing or destroying it. I'm sure the tech has improved a lot since I last used NVGs, but I still wouldn't even consider toting them around.

22lr

WKR
It could be nice to see what is scratching around your tent at night without flipping on a light... or sometimes ignorance is bliss... I swear porcupines sound like bears srcatching around as soon as the lights go down...

But, as said above, I don't see the advantage over a good headlamp in most hunting situations.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to echo what the above posters said. It's harder to move under NODs than a good red lens headlamp. It's also not nearly as effective as a bright white light for checking out a bump in the night. A set of 14s will weigh more than both combined.

That being said, if you want to play with your sweet new toy I totally get it. You just aren't gaining anything by doing so. As long as it's within your game laws do what makes you happy and have a good time.

cronsman

WKR
Having used NVGs extensively, I would not bring them. For one, a headlamp is way nicer to be able to see, even in a red lens. Two, I just feel like my ethical side would feel weird about having NVGs in the elk woods knowing their primary purpose is to gain an edge in combat