If you thought OHVs on closed roads were bad, check this out.

dtrkyman

WKR
I updated my post with the link to original post from Montana chapter BHA, it only states the pilot being charged with a federal misdemeanor and charged a $500 fine.

Not much of a hit for a guy with a helicopter! Though I bet he wouldn't get off so easy next time!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't researched it, but $500 might be the maximum fine for that offense- our misdemeanors were capped at $500 (although we had a civil restitution that could be added to that)

Sled

WKR
it's ok to be upset about this and it should not happen at all but...it's getting kind of old when the court of public opinion convicts and exacts online social media revenge on everyone and anyone caught doing something wrong. hell, half the time there is limited information and lives are at stake. wouldn't want to be a cop these days with social media. it doesn't take much to lose your job or freedom and you may not have done anything wrong but the optics look bad to the untrained eye. and no i'm not referring to the floyd incident. i know it's a bit of a stretch to link this heli in the wilderness to the cops but the responses seem to be the same.

fwiw, my first response was to be upset at the audacity of the pilot. then i though about possible mitigating factors and what might be turned up from an investigation. sure it seems obvious but why not let due process work.

i'm sure some of the responses here are in jest but with people so easily offended these days it's nice to have some perspective and save the crucifying for those that are truly deserving.

BluMtn

WKR
In the 70's when I was traveling a lot to and through Montana we kept an envelope in the glove box with a stack of $5 bills. If we got pulled over whoever was in the passenger seat got out a $5 bill and handed to the driver and as soon as the trooper got to the window we handed him the bill took the receipt and we were off again. But, I don't know if anybody remembers that the $5 fines were only for daylight hours. You get stopped at night being stupid and you made up for all the $5 tickets they gave away during the day. We had a couple of different friends that both got stopped at different times at night and it was like $250 for speeding which in the 70's was a good chunk of change.

Wrench

WKR
In the 70's when I was traveling a lot to and through Montana we kept an envelope in the glove box with a stack of $5 bills. If we got pulled over whoever was in the passenger seat got out a $5 bill and handed to the driver and as soon as the trooper got to the window we handed him the bill took the receipt and we were off again. But, I don't know if anybody remembers that the $5 fines were only for daylight hours. You get stopped at night being stupid and you made up for all the $5 tickets they gave away during the day. We had a couple of different friends that both got stopped at different times at night and it was like $250 for speeding which in the 70's was a good chunk of change.
The good old conservation tickets...