If you thought OHVs on closed roads were bad, check this out.

mcr-85

WKR
I would have grabbed the keys and ran away,ha!

I found an atv in a roadless area once when hunting on my mule. I considered throwing the key as far as I could. I decided I'd just give the guys some troubleshooting experience and pulled the spark plug wire off. I hope it was dark when he got there and I hope it took a long time to figure it out.

gbflyer

WKR
"And so I figured hey, since we just happened to land right next to this legendary wilderness river and I just happened to bring this 4 piece fly rod...why not pop a few casts?"
View attachment 185493

Hey, a person has to eat when there’s a mechanical issue with your Helo in the wilderness. It’s a matter of survival.

I say this in jest. I fly fixed wing not a rotor head but this stuff is no good for general aviation. Plenty of places that are legal to operate in and still get away from the crowds. This was either ignorance or willful disobedience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
Jeezus. yeah this is some stupid shit but you all sound like a bunch of sanctimonious, cancel culture, whiney babies. Wealth and privelege! Non-natives! They can afford a helicopter, no fair! Oh heavens, they should be crucified!

She ain't super hot but not the worst looking option to be a trophy husband.

Id like to see pictures of kwad tards and SxS A-holes who blatantly go around trailhead barricades. Then we can compare the damage done by a helicopter landing on a sand bar to 4 tires rototilling 6 miles of creek bottom. I completely get it that what they did was top tier douchebag, but I'm pretty sure almost every member on this forum has seen far worse done by wheels on the ground and never started a thread to condemn it.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I see a few folks here advocating for burning at the stake or shooting at the aircraft? Wow. There are some good riots going on in Minneapolis. Might as well go join in with those sorts of comments.

Wilderness areas are the most sacred places this country has left. You don’t F around blatantly like this, it’s stealing from the American people something so great. Those horse back riders let them off the hook, so will the government of course.

Id like to see pictures of kwad tards and SxS A-holes who blatantly go around trailhead barricades. Then we can compare the damage done by a helicopter landing on a sand bar to 4 tires rototilling 6 miles of creek bottom. I completely get it that what they did was top tier douchebag, but I'm pretty sure almost every member on this forum has seen far worse done by wheels on the ground and never started a thread to condemn it.
Truth....and livestock grazing is even worse...

Arrogant violation of wilderness area? Most likely but who really knows. I see a few folks here advocating for burning at the stake or shooting at the aircraft? Wow. There are some good riots going on in Minneapolis. Might as well go join in with those sorts of comments.
Do you think we'd be invited to ride the Choo choo train with the other law abiding citizens?

Jeezus. yeah this is some stupid shit but you all sound like a bunch of sanctimonious, cancel culture, whiney babies. Wealth and privelege! Non-natives!
A great concept behind Wilderness Areas is that regardless of wealth or status, it should require the same effort to access them. This is probably why people here, myself included, get riled up over instances such as this. Not because we all wish we had our own Helicopters. Whether it is via ATV, Mountain Bike, or Helicopter, this type of violation reduces to one common denominator. Laziness.

Poeschel

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one who thinks a quad would be worse than this? You guys act like because it cost more, it does more damage. Who gives a shit?!?

BuzzH

WKR
Am I the only one who thinks a quad would be worse than this? You guys act like because it cost more, it does more damage. Who gives a shit?!?

Cost has nothing to do with it.

Lots of people give a shit for a multitude of reasons. Anyone that owns an aircraft and any pilot should know the law...you cant land aircraft on ANY National Forest Lands, designated wilderness or not, unless on a designated airstrip.

Its hard to believe anyone would be that ignorant or stupid to do something like that, and even more ridiculous that some view it as no big deal.

It is a big deal...and those two clowns need to be fined and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

§261.18 National Forest Wilderness.
The following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:

(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.

(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.

(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.

The Secretary of Agriculture's regulations (36 CFR 261) A violation of these regulations is subject to a penalty of not more than $5,000 or 6 months imprisonment, or both.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Cost has nothing to do with it.

Lots of people give a shit for a multitude of reasons. Anyone that owns an aircraft and any pilot should know the law...you cant land aircraft on ANY National Forest Lands, designated wilderness or not, unless on a designated airstrip.

Its hard to believe anyone would be that ignorant or stupid to do something like that, and even more ridiculous that some view it as no big deal.

It is a big deal...and those two clowns need to be fined and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

§261.18 National Forest Wilderness.
The following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:

(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.

(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.

(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.

The Secretary of Agriculture's regulations (36 CFR 261) A violation of these regulations is subject to a penalty of not more than $5,000 or 6 months imprisonment, or both.

Buzz I’ll have to respectfully disagree with your ANY designation. You can land a fixed wing in a wilderness area in Alaska. All part of ANILCA. That’s the law in this case, and some don’t know it.

We’ve got lots of wilderness and lots of airplanes.

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz I’ll have to respectfully disagree with your ANY designation. You can land a fixed wing in a wilderness area in Alaska. All part of ANILCA. That’s the law in this case, and some don’t know it.

We’ve got lots of wilderness and lots of airplanes.

Right, probably should have specified lower 48, where this incident happened...

Marble

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. Long term, sometimes permanent change to the landscape from OHVs happen pretty easy.

We have tranches from tires spinning through the grass and mud on the ranch that are nearly 10 yards old. Grass still doesnt grow at all, or barely grows, comparable to the untouched areas.

What I thought about was the stress a chopper flying around a basin, circling to find a spot and then landing in the same area as a herd of ungulates would put on the animals that were calving. Then take off a few hours later.

I find it hard to beleive they did not know it was illegal. I'm sure it's a topic that's chatted about at whatever helicopter club they go hang at.