If you tripod mount your binos (straight), do you still go angled spotter?

I'm a straight spotter guy but i get that guys who really get hooked on angles could never go back. My own situation is i spend so much time glassing bino's on tripod and even from window mount from truck as i could never give that up like guys won't give up their angled spotters. I don't do my tripod stuff standing not that it matters to this argument at all, i sit in the tripod, handle on panhead points forward and my hand naturally reaches forward to do the panning while my arm may even rest on leg of tripod. Having tripod head 'feet' on bino mount and spotter makes quick change for me, plug and play one optic on and in seconds i can pop the other optic on. So a straight spotter makes sense for me for both the truck work but also the fact i go back and forth between bino's/spotter at the drop of a hat and i don't even need to move but a few muscles to do it very quickly. I haven't seen too many angled bino's on the market so curious what others are doing or are any of you missing out on the option to bino glass from your stubby tripods for angled spotters? As i see one of the advantage of angled spotter is smaller lighter tripod and that got me thinking about this.

Or do those who use angled spotters just neck carry your bino's and then when sit down just go straight to the spotter? Are you forced to do so because your tripod can't get up to sitting height? Or do you carry a tripod tall enough to go sitting for bino work then shorten it for the spotter work? Possibly negating the advantage of lighter tripod? And or speed of quick changing glass as you have to lower/raise the tripod for each switch?

Just curious to hear how these problems are handled etc. and how guys are making systems work for them, i'm 100% straight in this regard. ;)

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am an angled spotter guy. I also like to glass with my bins tripod mounted. My solution is pretty easy. I set up my tripod legs at about the height I want for viewing with the angled spotter. Then I extend the center column when I put on the bins, back down for spotter, etc.

Beastmode

WKR
I am an angled spotter guy. I also like to glass with my bins tripod mounted. My solution is pretty easy. I set up my tripod legs at about the height I want for viewing with the angled spotter. Then I extend the center column when I put on the bins, back down for spotter, etc.

I do the same as Matt. Pretty easy to move the center column up and down and leave the legs in one spot.

OP
S
Clever, I've always ditched the longer section of center column and always used legs for height to keep max stability minimum shake etc. But that seems simple solution and light way to go up to bino height as extension on my 634 was only 3oz.

Edit, either of u run a silk 624? Must ge able to remove couple of leg extensions and collars on that to work with angled spotter? Man that would be light, maybe 16 to 20oz?

Anyhow, thanks for info, I was curious how one solved that problem.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
I have the 624 but I haven't made any changes to it. I don't glass on a tripod standing up. If I am going to set up a tripod I'm going to take the little bit of time to find a good spot to kneel or sit as well.

BigSurArcher

Banned

+3, never been an issue to swap between an angled spotter and binos on the tripod while seated in the same spot. It's only about 6" difference on the center post.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Angled for me too. For my binos, I turn the handle around so it faces away - otherwise the tripod handle on your pan head will be in your grill.

OP
S
yeah my handle faces forward, for both and its natural when sitting in the tripod your arm comes around a leg of tripod, may rest on your knee and your hand reaches naturally forward for doing the panning...i just flip back and forth between the two with zero fuss, even stay pretty well on target when doing so...i dunno about you angled guys yet......i'm thinkin straight is where its at ;)