If you were a NR starting from 0...

Im a 2nd year elk hunter from east of the Mississippi. My best piece of advice for hinting out west is to put in for the draws. One of the barriers I had and other that I've talked to was just plain confusion and information overload when you start researching. Once you put in that first time you really get to start understanding hunt codes, units, season regs.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Started elk hunting in 2019 and didn't have a clue what I was doing. Had to have someone else plan/prepare for the trip, how to apply, etc. Now I have two planned trips under my belt, starting to accumulate points in a couple states, and working on getting out west regularly. Lots of good information in the above posts...essentially, decide what you want to do and then you can start putting a plan together to accomplish it. The only other thing I'll say...when I went in 2019 I was going on a bucket list, once in a lifetime hunt. Then it turned into an every other year hunt and I just asked my wife if I could go twice next year. Be prepared for the obsession!

I agree with the "just go" crowd. In 2008 i knew nothing about elk and just went because i wanted to learn to bowhunt. After that first encounter with an elk, a herd bull, i been hooked ever since. Even though it is increasingly getting harder to draw tags, i go every year 1 way or another. My biggest expense was buying a bow that year. I used camping and rifle hunting gear i already owned and did a very comfortable truck camp.

Mackey

FNG
Just start. Take the first step and buy some PPs. Maybe even apply for a tag somewhere. I have done 2 guided hunts in Wyoming and both were fantastic experiences. Just do it!
mackey

Attachments

• 529AA3E6-A637-4CD8-9491-EC6ABAC9B936.jpeg
    529AA3E6-A637-4CD8-9491-EC6ABAC9B936.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CF084DCA-120F-46FC-9032-E314E02EB1ED.jpeg
    CF084DCA-120F-46FC-9032-E314E02EB1ED.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 51ADA61D-97A5-43FF-A7D0-C35D58C4FB46.jpeg
    51ADA61D-97A5-43FF-A7D0-C35D58C4FB46.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 26

FLS

WKR
Go. There is no substitute for boots on the ground experience. Decide what kind of county you like to look at and what kind of hunt you want, find an OTC unit that matches your desires and go. Don’t what if everything death, just go.

Go. There is no substitute for boots on the ground experience. Decide what kind of county you like to look at and what kind of hunt you want, find an OTC unit that matches your desires and go. Don’t what if everything death, just go.
This.

You will probably fail miserably your first time, but that’s ok. The first timer learning curve is steep, and nothing replaces boots on the ground.

Most of us have been there.

I love the challenge of figuring out how to do it “better” year after year.

I drew a Wyoming tag AND a CO 1st rifle bull tag this past year on a second choice. I turned the CO bull tag back in. Yeah it ain’t as good as it once was, but there is still plenty of NR elk opportunity in the west.

You might be going after cows or dealing with the CO OTC crowd, but it’s still elk hunting.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm in Iowa so 8 or so years ago I was in a similar situation. My advice is just go. If you don't have all the gear to do a Backcountry type hunt, just truck camp. Do an OTC hunt to get your feet wet. Learn the gear you need. Buy points everywhere you can afford. Personally I don't buy points in places I won't be able to draw in a few years. But you can categorize your points into near term, long term, and medium. All the research and podcasts and YouTube in the world isn't going to teach you what you'll learn by going. Your physical condition has an expiration date. Don't waste it thinking you'll go someday. Do it now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

mc67

FNG
Same boat as OP, 55 yrs old and due to the good info here I am going. Ima just go kind of guy anyway. This is my first day on the site just really looking around and getting acquainted with it. But I love the posts or people say just go and do it!! Thanks for having an awesome site.