If you were Alone...

....what would you do that others often don't? My first order of business would be scout for a suitable site to camp and build a study tipi shaped shelter using the tarp they provide. This would be my quarters while building a solid log cabin with a rock fireplace. Protection from the elements would be priority #1. I'd still find time to fish, set snares, scavenge or look for other food sources, boil water and all that but if you plan to stay longer than anyone else, you better have a secure, warm place to stay. If I were lucky enough to take down some big game like others on the show, I would use the tipi as a smoker and dig a hole to stash my food. No hanging it up high...doesn't appear to work real well. I would make security a major priority to protect my cache of food from predators and rodents and insects. That's a proven system. If big animals like bear, moose, elk, hogs and others were frequent visitors I'd dig a trapping pit. Hard work but the payoff could be huge. Storing food and staying outta the nasty weather seems to be a winning gameplan...you just gotta get the food and avoid injuring yourself or getting sick. Easier said than done but damn, everytime i watch that show and see someone in one of these I just think...you fool.

b4079a436ef2d87581a13501211ee66a5f95ac5129ae04.27657811.jpeg

Some get it right.

long-term-survival-shelter-randy-5-2-600x341.png

long-term-survival-shelter-randy-5.png

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
It's impossible to answer, the variables are endless. An accident, infection, inability to secure food...lots of ways for the effort to go sideways. I've noticed those who outlast the others tend to feed on "creating good TV" so their mindset is not merely survival but interesting television. I think that can be a huge factor...the bigger your ego, the more successful you may be. (Just a theory of mine)

I like to think I could go the distance but it's doubtful I will ever be selected simply because of health limitations. They seem to prefer contestants younger than me. It would be a dream to compete though.

Not a good idea to talk smack before the show...I wouldn't wanna be this guy.

So how long do you think you would last WB?

The one thing that I most like about that show is that talk is cheap.... The mentally strongest win it.

The interesting thing I’ve seen is that with the option of a “go home” button, some of the ones who have the easiest time surviving choose to leave. Their needs are met so they spend most of their day sitting around and missing their family, thinking “what’s the point in being out here?”

The ones that have to stay focused and spend most of their time acquiring food, firewood, etc all day long seem to have an easier time of not getting homesick.

You could argue that without the option to leave, those who have the easiest time and the strongest motivation to survive (their family) would do better when things take a turn for the worse like winter, their shelter burning, and so on.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
There seem to have been n old guy or two, but they had some real mental fortitude.

And I was really hoping you were the Alone guy

Rich M

WKR
The last series I watched was full of injuries and there was the guy who lost his fire starter. I wondered if he was just quitting due to the hissy fit. Other folks lit their shelters on fire.

Decent shelter is no. 1. Fishing is no. 2. Chasing big game is in the mix but as available. Some folks did good w berries and roots. There is time to build a decent camp without rushing or neglecting other stuff.

Attitude seems to be the biggest thing. Either you like the game and are settling in for the long haul or are just hoping to make it so many days.

The camp location they give you does play a factor. I remember a lady who kept leaving her bow at home and running into moose. Oopsie!

Think it'd be fun. I'm deaf tho. Be a safety issue.

semasko

FNG
The interesting thing I’ve seen is that with the option of a “go home” button, some of the ones who have the easiest time surviving choose to leave. Their needs are met so they spend most of their day sitting around and missing their family, thinking “what’s the point in being out here?”

The ones that have to stay focused and spend most of their time acquiring food, firewood, etc all day long seem to have an easier time of not getting homesick.

You could argue that without the option to leave, those who have the easiest time and the strongest motivation to survive (their family) would do better when things take a turn for the worse like winter, their shelter burning, and so on.
I've thought about this as well. The "military" types on the show always seem to do good and leave early for this reason, and I think it really shows how little time they spent truly alone, even if they were deployed.

The "hippie" types also seem to do very well, but always end up leaving after they do some weird naked meditation and realize "their journey is over" or whatever. Its hard to figure whether any of the people on the show actually want to leave based on the reasons they give, or their brain has tricked them into believing whatever justification they gave to warrant tapping. I think this is the most fascinating aspect of the show and what the producers really strive for aside from entertainment. People on the show mentioned it previously, but even hunter-gatherer humans were rarely alone (as far as we know), even though they were using similar skills.

I thought for a minute that Alone Guy had hacked WB’s account. Alone Guy would make a great superhero. “My special power? Why... I can make a sleeping bag out of seaweed and tree moss!!”

Fitzwho

WKR
To me the first season was the most accurate. How long did any of those guys make it? Winner made it 56 days and lost 40 pounds in that time frame. The first 6 drop outs happened in the first 8 days.

Most people in today’s society don’t have it in them to spend that much time truly alone. I know I couldn’t in that situation. Strand me somewhere and I will go full “Castaway” to make it back to my family, even if that meant years. But give me a go straight home button and I wouldn’t last a week voluntarily.

Beendare

WKR
Some of the women on that show have been absolute studs When it comes to mental toughness.

Some of the biggest talkers have been some of the biggest flops. I mean how do you lose your fire starter when it’s one of the most important pieces of kit?

Here’s how, you use it as an excuse to go home because you’re not as tough as you thought you were.

—-

FLAK

WKR
I've built better "forts" as a kid than some of those
"survivalists" shelters.
A smokehouse would absolutely be a must have.
Would def. be a mental game.