If you were going to buy a 7 pin sight...

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
What manufacturer and model would you buy and why?

I currently have a Spot Hogg MRT on the dovetail mount with .010 pins, and a Trophy Ridge React 7 pin also with .010 pins. I'm 55 so the .010 pins are not always easy to see, especially in heavy cover/foliage. I am planning to elk hunt this fall like normal in CO, and have typically used a 7 pin sight. I would also consider a slider but prefer a 7 pin sight where I can do 20-80 yards.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:
I use to use the 7 pin SH, it's been a while. I switched to a 5 pin housing on a Tommy Hogg base, had pins 25-65 dial after 65 but had the level/wire set to 80 when everything else was on.

Now I'm using 3 pin housings, 25-45. Once I got away from all the pins I kinda preferred it, just need to remember to always put your sight back to "zero".

Tried the option 7, I didn't like that the floater was only in the housing. Thought that was too limiting.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have one of the 7 pin versions laying around somewhere in my shop and this is a great sight as well.

I was just over at Lancaster Archery's web-site and looking at the Black Gold Pro 5 pin slider on the dovetail. That might a good option as well.

Bombproof fixed, spot hogg 7 pin grinder. If I used fixed it would definitely be spot hogg. I use 5 pin black gold sliders on all my bows, you can’t go wrong with the Pro.

Bsevans5

FNG
I've got a montana black gold slider. I know they can make a custom pin setup. Mine is a 5 pin. I've wondered about going 7, but I worry it would be too busy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got two SH 7-pin sights........one Hunter, and one Hogg-it both with all .019" pins. Either one will work. I'd choose one of those, mine are older as I'm not really a fan of the MRT rings.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I've got two SH 7-pin sights........one Hunter, and one Hogg-it both with all .019" pins. Either one will work. I'd choose one of those, mine are older as I'm not really a fan of the MRT rings.

I actually like the MRT rings, but often swap the big ring out for just the yellow single ring. I will have to call Spot Hogg tomorrow and see how long it would take for them to swap out the pins, or maybe I can find the 7 pin head somewhere with .019 pins.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They're normally pretty quick on turnaround and right around $20 to swap them out. My 70 yard pin fiber broke in 2020 so sent it in and had them put in the bullet proof pins as well, and had it back within a week. The white ring on my older SH's has all come off, and I don't miss even that.......at all. The bright yellow/green rings are hard on my eyes for me. They're more of a distraction to me. I want to focus on my target.

When I first started bowhunting I had a 5 pin. Eventually I fell in love with HHA single pin slider. I hated all the clutter from the other pins and my bow shoots virtually the same from 15-25, so that eliminated a couple immediately. I never shoot more than 40, so that eliminated a bunch more. The single pin coming from the bottom of the reticle gives you a virtually unobstructed site picture. Just my $.02

KHNC

WKR
If i were thinking of buying a 7 pin sight, I would want someone to talk me into buying an Option6 from Option archery instead. The why is because its the best sight ever designed and 7 pins is too many.

If I were going to use 7 pins, I'd need 5 more bows!
HHA single pin slider user here, with the .019 pin for these old eyes.
In the event of not having enough time to adjust the slider, just compensate your aiming point.
Know you trajectory, and your target size for reference.

Ex;
An elk has a 30" body, if you expect a 20" drop - aim at the backbone above heart.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started bowhunting I had a 5 pin. Eventually I fell in love with HHA single pin slider. I hated all the clutter from the other pins and my bow shoots virtually the same from 15-25, so that eliminated a couple immediately. I never shoot more than 40, so that eliminated a bunch more. The single pin coming from the bottom of the reticle gives you a virtually unobstructed site picture. Just my $.02
Since I've been hunting out West, I have had opportunity to take much further shots than 40 yards, otherwise a 5 pin would be more than sufficient. I agree, the single up pin is by far the most uncluttered sight picture out there just about, and I've been with or know guys who use one or double up pins who have missed elk due to the elk moving in or away quickly, and their sight has been on the wrong setting. I have hunted with a 7 pin sight for so many years, I am used to the "clutter" and have no issues with it. Otherwise I would do a Fast Eddie XL with the 3 up pins and have 20,30, 40 and then dial from there, or a 5 pin slider. For 3D I run a single pin and love it, for out West hunting, I see it as a potential issue (for me) and don't want to ruin a hunt or injure an animal for something stupid I did.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
If i were thinking of buying a 7 pin sight, I would want someone to talk me into buying an Option6 from Option archery instead. The why is because its the best sight ever designed and 7 pins is too many.
I had an Option 8 and they are nice sights no doubt. It just wasn't my preference.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
If I were going to use 7 pins, I'd need 5 more bows!
HHA single pin slider user here, with the .019 pin for these old eyes.
In the event of not having enough time to adjust the slider, just compensate your aiming point.
Know you trajectory, and your target size for reference.

Ex;
An elk has a 30" body, if you expect a 20" drop - aim at the backbone above heart.
Thanks for everyone's input, it's all very helpful.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I bought it because I thought that was a great feature and it is, but it just wasn't for me. I hunt some rough stuff, and I would snag the sight housing on some grass, brush, weeds, whatever and move it out of position quite often, so at the moment of truth there were a few times I had to stop and move the guard in or out to have the pins or single pin in the right spot. Loved the idea, but just did not like it in the field. Luckily these were practice (tough practice) situations and not actually on an elk. But it was built like a tank and is an awesome idea.

OP
Super 91

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked at the Option Archery web-site and they have a new model 6 that looks really nice with some upgraded features for 2022. I don't remember mine having three magnets on the housing, but that might still be an "option"...LOL

KHNC

WKR
I just looked at the Option Archery web-site and they have a new model 6 that looks really nice with some upgraded features for 2022. I don't remember mine having three magnets on the housing, but that might still be an "option"...LOL
The O6 is the one i was recommending. I think its perfect. And i have elk hunted many times with a bow.