If you were going to commit to hunting moose with a trad bow, what would you get?

mattflint

FNG
With having never shot a moose my opinion is purely that.
Id feel perfectly comfortable going after a moose with my whistler or thunderchild. Rh Whistler 55at28-670 32” optimus with alum. Insert and 300 grizzly lh tc50at 28-700 grain optimus 31.5 with grizzly kodiak 300 grain.
Probably actually ideal. The moose around here are down in every freakin draw I drop into and its like furngully. I really need to start puting in for a tag. Suckers sre everywhere
Talkin theoretical dream build and some time to settle into it. Maybe a teolke ss 45at28 fmj of whatever spine would tune with my 300 grain grizzlies.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
With having never shot a moose my opinion is purely that.
Id feel perfectly comfortable going after a moose with my whistler or thunderchild. Rh Whistler 55at28-670 32” optimus with alum. Insert and 300 grizzly lh tc50at 28-700 grain optimus 31.5 with grizzly kodiak 300 grain.
Probably actually ideal. The moose around here are down in every freakin draw I drop into and its like furngully. I really need to start puting in for a tag. Suckers sre everywhere
Talkin theoretical dream build and some time to settle into it. Maybe a teolke ss 45at28 fmj of whatever spine would tune with my 300 grain grizzlies.

What is your actual draw length? Just curious since you are pulling 55lbs @ 28”.

oldgoat

WKR
I've only shot a big Shiras Cow, didn't have any real issues with penetration, I think arrow choice is a bigger deal. Obviously want more bow than I'm going to hunt deer with this year but I know of an old man local to me that shot his Shiras Bull with a 43#longbow, I would guess any good performing bow in the mid fifties are better and a tough arrow over 600gr.

DuckDogDr

WKR
The biggest animal I have harvested was a caribou.
I have several trad bows in my arsenal ..my go to bow and by far the one I'm most accurate with is my Hoyt Satori. It sends arrows where im looking and is just a natural fit. I have others that are prettier but, it is definitely my performer.

I'm pulling 65 lbs with 175 single bevel heads on GT Blems
Managed to get a complete pass through the caribou at 20 yards.. arrow sailed 40 yards beyond opposite side even after going through ribs, vitals and ribs on opposite side

She would be the one

GLB

WKR
My current setup is my 53lbs Robertson Longbow with Blackeagle Vintage shafts and 200 grain RMS Cutthroat broadheads. 580 grains total.

Wrench

WKR
Id choose arrows that fly like a drill bit, fall through my boot when dropped from my belt, weighing at least 550gr and do my best to not hit the humerus.

mattflint

FNG
What is your actual draw length? Just curious since you are pulling 55lbs @ 28”.
Idk exactly. Im built funny/ and have bad or goofy form. Im 6ft6 and with the Lh thunderchild and a bow arm that wont extend more than 90%(something is locked up in my elbow) I draw right around 31” to hit where I aim. Now shooting Rh W/ a rock solid bow side bone on bone shoulder dropped Im pulling 30” maybe slightly more. Ive not set up a clicker and measured.
Not sure what that makes my lbs on the fingers with either bow though.

I may have the chance to hunt moose in a few years time so this is something I've thought about a little bit. For ease of travel (flying from Australia) I'd take my Widow PCH and use my limbs that are about 62# at my draw length. I'd get my arrow as heavy as possible and certainly over 600gns. That's all I can base this off as I have no experience with moose and it would come down to what I could fit on a plane the easiest.

Because the thread is about what I would get...

A longbow with a contoured grip.
A good fast longbow.
Did I mention a longbow?
60 pounds at my draw length x 62" long.
Sight window cut to at least center.
A longbow with pretty wood.
Single-bevel Abowyer Wapiti heads.
Victory VAP Elite shafts with Valkyrie components.

I would also get some type of video series or a book that teaches archery form and fundamentals. No offense to my Rokslide (and other forums) friends, but I would avoid getting 'how to shoot a stickbow' advice from any forums....mainly because of the wide disparity of opinions and methods. If I wanted to learn golf, I'd do it the same way....learn the right way....avoid confusing advice even though well intentioned.

And because I love carrying one in wild country....a longbow would be my choice every day.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest any bow of 60# or so that you are able to shoot well . . . Although Kevin's suggestion of a longbow with pretty wood is also good advice! I'd also suggest heavy arrows - 600 grains but again, be able to shoot them well. Good luck!!

Just to clarify my post above isn't in any way a suggestion that anyone should choose or do what I would do. It's only a direct answer to the OP's question about my choices for me. As is often stated, "You do you".

Good thread.