If you were going to commit to hunting moose with a trad bow, what would you get?

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
What ever Kevin Dill suggests.
You can’t go wrong with that advise.

Having a preference for selfbows, I use for moose Osage selfbows, 58# @28 1/2”, 29 1/2” Sherwood shaft arrows, tipped with a 145 grain Eclipse broadhead. It is the same setup I use hunt everything. On smaller sized game, deer and under, I put the bleeder blades in for better blood trails.

By far, being able to put the broadhead where you want is the most important thing when shooting any animal.

Last edited:

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a bull a few years ago with a 54# Tall Timbers longbow, 800 grain homemade arrow with a maple shaft and Cutthroat broadhead.

mncItJX.jpg

Darren

I would get what I already got. A Bear Takedown that's 55# at my draw length, shooting 450-500 grain arrows that are tuned perfectly, with a file-sharpened 2 blade Magnus head.

If you're just now getting into traditional bows, 55# is a lot. So you may want something you can work up in limb weight.

Bear takedowns are pricey, but damn they are good.

My Stalker Coyote FXT longbow that’s on order right now. One set of limbs 50# @ 28”. Back up limbs are 45# @ 28”. I draw 29” with proper back tension.

SwampGhost

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck to you on your hunt! One day I’ll get to go moose hunting hopefully in the not so distant future

I would use any longbow thats in my stable. the lightest weight longbow i have is 50lbs @28. I draw 29 inches so I feel very confident with any of my setups. Shot placement is key (yes your shooting a pickup truck window) but bad things can happen. for me the closer the encounter the better. I havent been as close as Kevin for large animals but ive had plenty of times with mule deer whitetails and hogs with in 10 yards some were inside five yards.

best of luck

JAlvis

FNG
Whatever you're proficient at shooting. Accuracy counts. The bow style and draw weight are personal taste. Although Arrow weight is important so go heavy there. Personally prefer bows I can really use so nothing too fancy. If I cant use it to aid in crossing a stream or lower off a rocky ledge then I don't want it.

I feel compelled to suggest a young bowyer in Texas that has a very good line of Trad Bows. If you're looking, check out Wagstaff Bows.

His TD Longbow can accommodate both a Longbow Limb, as well as a Static Tip Recurve Limb on the same riser. The longbow is stable, fast, and quiet. The Perfect Hunting Bow. The Static Tip Limb he offers has improved performance by retaining the best features of a longbow limb, with the increased energy of a recurve.

He also has a really impressive collection of exotic woods from all over the world. Every bow he makes is completely customized to suit.

Fair Disclosure... I know the guy, he's my son. I cannot say I taught him everything he knows, but I did set him on the right path from an early age..!

cocky84

WKR
I will be taking a black widow 62” pma 53lbs @ 28”. 580 grn fmj’s. Magnus stinger 150’s.

If you are asking this question because you are considering buying a trad bow, make sure you get one that is 50lbs if you plan to hunt moose in alaska.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I will be taking a black widow 62” pma 53lbs @ 28”. 580 grn fmj’s. Magnus stinger 150’s.

If you are asking this question because you are considering buying a trad bow, make sure you get one that is 50lbs if you plan to hunt moose in alaska.

Both of my bows are 55 @ 28” and I have a 29.25” draw length. One is a black widow psa 62” the other is a bivouac backland 62” longbow. I’ll be shooting serous archery trad stars at 670g or grizzly sticks at 650g.

Gun

FNG
Kevin has pretty much covered it. I will only add my experience w the slightly smaller cousin (Canada sub species). I've taken 9 so far. 6 Bulls and 3 cows.

All with trad gear, Recurve and Longbow. A couple w aluminum arrows the rest w carbons. 65-47# draw weight. Two w Snuffer Broadheads, 3 w Woodsman, 2 w Zwickey - Eskimo and Delta, 1 w Cutthroat single bevel, 1 w STOS.

The STOS curled on both hits on the same Bull. I had tanto tips on them. Hit him in the shoulder w first arrow. Was able to get on him again and second arrow curled on offside rib. Last year's Bull was taken w 47# Bear TD and Zwickey Delta. Arrow took off arteries off top of heart and lodged in offside shoulder. He went maybe 20 yds and tipped over in sight.

We weighed every piece of my biggest bull (P&Y class) as it was a easy extraction other than having to cut him in half for the quad to pull him. 998# live weight including guts. Complete pass thru w a 53# Bear TD and Cutthroat BH. 570gr total arrow eight.

Moose aren't hard to kill and don't go far w a solid lung hit. I guided a bit for them and the biggest mistake clients made was shooting for mid body. The hump throws people off. Aim for lower third.

Their sheer size once ur close can intimidate too. (Five times the size of a whitetail)

Shoot what you're comfortable with and a cut on contact broadhead that's razor sharp. Put it where it counts.
Good Luck

Last edited:

ledflight

WKR
Fun stuff to hear about!
The only moose I shot at was a life sized target on an unfamiliar 3d course. Luckily for me there was also a whitetail target near it so the moose's size didn't mess up my range guess too much and I ten ringed it. But I do recall up close how huge the lung outline on that target was and thinking how much more area the vitals on it were.