If you were me - 3 pts in Wyoming

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I am sitting on 3 pts for Wyoming antelope. I will be out there hunting mule deer in region F at the end of the season. I want to hunt antelope for a few days before the deer hunt.

Anyone with personal experience in a unit that takes 3 pts or less care to share it would be greatly appreciated. I am just looking for personal experiences on solid units that you would recommend to a friend... don't need to have a trophy guarantee by any means.

I belong to Epic and Huntin Fool and have used gohunts map. I just want to hear from people who actually put boots on the ground as I believe they are the greatest resource.

A good predicament for sure! I think you'll have a hard time finding any units that are a sure draw closer to Region F, but there's plenty of units on the eastern side of the state that you ought to be able to draw in (particularly if you opt for the "special" draw). Through the special you might also have a chance at a couple of those units near Cody (81, 82, 110). None are probably that much better than the others. I think if you spend a couple days at it though, you should be able to get on some bucks and have a good time. For my money, I would throw a dart at the map and make it an adventure.

I couldn't tell you anything first hand, and I suspect others might be a little tight lipped as well with low tag numbers (prove me wrong world!), but they are right next to some other units that are fabled for having big pronghorn. Should be plenty of public land, and plenty of antelope. You'd likely be sorting through many to find one you like, but that's kinda the name of the game with antelope.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
I drew 74 in the special drawing two years ago but that jumped up to 5 points the way it looks. I did a little scouting after the hunt in 75 and unit 75 looked pretty good to me. I would try for unit 75 if you wanted to pay for the special. It probably won't be a guarantee draw though

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
2-3 points is the range where I think the ROI on Special is highest, Mudslinger has some good suggestions in his post. As someone once told me, "can't swing a dead cat without hitting a pronghorn" in those units

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
You earned those points so can't fault you. What makes you think i am not trying to deter you from certain units through reverse psychology? Ha

Brendan

WKR
My point was - bad idea to discuss units on an open forum. You inadvertently draw more attention to them and can end up hurting not helping your chances. Was using myself as an example, but there will be hundreds if not 1000's of people who see this thread and don't chime in.

And, there is a lot of misdirection too. Plenty of people give bad advice, or talk units up/down to direct people away from units they hunt.

You're much better off discussing general characteristics, how to pick a unit, how to hunt units, etc without talking about specific ones.

My point was - bad idea to discuss units on an open forum. You inadvertently draw more attention to them and can end up hurting not helping your chances. Was using myself as an example, but there will be hundreds if not 1000's of people who see this thread and don't chime in.

And, there is a lot of misdirection too. Plenty of people give bad advice, or talk units up/down to direct people away from units they hunt.

You're much better off discussing general characteristics, how to pick a unit, how to hunt units, etc without talking about specific ones.

I agree with this. Unfortunately there's people who will simply google "antelope units" and end up on a thread like this and with all of 10 minutes googlie research apply for your unit. Those are also the guys you probably don't want out there, running all over trying to discover the place and figure out how to use their OnX for the first time.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to draw 73 in the special if they add the tags they are looking at. I saw some good bucks there later in the season last year. Good luck.

Scorpion

WKR
Are you flying into Cody or driving? Are you hunting deer with an outfitter or DIY?

rolocasi

FNG
With your points i think 73 would be the way to go, You'll have company, but its not a bad option. Best of luck.

Since going from east to west maybe look at 23 or 22 if dead set if good at using onx and can sort through the public dad my daughter and I all got our bucks and mixed in two does as well in 4 days. We actually did it on a second choice as didn't want to burn my 5 points but I hear that's a tough row to hoe now but with three you will draw it. Look up draw odds on the WY dfg on go hunt it will tell u

Jt13

FNG
Dont be afraid to check out the units with weird restrictions on type 2 tags like "2 miles south of X road to Y creek" kind of stuff