If you were me….

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start off by acknowledging this is a want not need scenario. But who doesn’t need just one more gun right?

I have a 6.5 PRC and a .300 wsm browning hells canyon that shoot 1/2” groups. 6.5 with ELDM and the .300 wsm with a unknown ammo recipe. I love shooting these guns and am confident in them to shoot when I need them too. The wsm weighs right at 9lbs and the prc is just above 10 (put a vx6 4-24 on it). I’m just starting to get into western big game as well as sheep and don’t plan to slow down anytime soon.

I try to get out every couple week and just shoot and love the up front part of getting a gun dialed in. Have a hankering to do it again.

So, If you were me……

What caliber would you add? Reasoning?

bsnedeker

WKR
223 bolt gun. Much cheaper to shoot so you can practice more for less. Also if you ever want to introduce anyone else to shooting it's the perfect gun to start.

I have a 223, a 6.5 CM, and a 300 WM and to me I have everything covered at this point as far as bolt guns are concerned.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
.223 for all of these reasons:

Sadler

WKR
I also have a 6.5 PRC and a 300WSM and my next bolt gun is going to be a 223 for all the reasons PNWGATOR just shared. Plus it’s way cheaper to practice

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Since it’s a want and not a need you should fill in with a .280AI. Right there with your other calibers but fills the gap for a missing 7mm and is a heck of a cartridge.

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Wait... you don't have any version of a .223 Rem? Seriously? Hmmph.

If there's thick environments in your home state, why not checkout a lever-action?
I do have an older Remington R15. It doesn’t make it out of the safe very much. 99% of my shooting is plinking at long range.

Was mainly trying to see if there were any in between or bigger calibers that people would see a reason to add.

I’ve really been wanting to pick up a .300 PRC but not sure if it makes sense with the 300 wsm already there (want and not need, I know).

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Since it’s a want and not a need you should fill in with a .280AI. Right there with your other calibers but fills the gap for a missing 7mm and is a heck of a cartridge.
How hard is it to get 280AI ammo? I haven’t seen any on the shelves are me. Not into the reloading just yet. Maybe down the road.

Would a 7mag make more sense? I was comparing the ballistics of the 280AI, 7 mag and 28 nosler the other day and that 28 nosler had me impressed. It was just the lack of ammo that was steering me away

B23

WKR
Since you don't reload it only makes sense to go with something that is supported well with good factory ammo and if a 223 bolt gun doesn't really excite you much my next suggestion would be 6mm Creedmoor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
223 can teach plenty about long range.
The 300 PRC will tend to have better high BC ammo for long range.
Before I got a 7mm anything, a 6 creedmoor is like a magnum for the 6mm bullet, it’s great to shoot long range.

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
223 can teach plenty about long range.
The 300 PRC will tend to have better high BC ammo for long range.
Before I got a 7mm anything, a 6 creedmoor is like a magnum for the 6mm bullet, it’s great to shoot long range.
My 6.5 prc is my go to go when just hitting up the range. It groups ELDM's really well too which makes the ammo side of things nice.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I am seeing a little ammo around but not a lot. Getting better but pretty slowly. I have seen more .280AI around then 28 Nosler around me lately and online. The .280AI is lighter recoiling then both of those and still has great ballistics.
How hard is it to get 280AI ammo? I haven’t seen any on the shelves are me. Not into the reloading just yet. Maybe down the road.

Would a 7mag make more sense? I was comparing the ballistics of the 280AI, 7 mag and 28 nosler the other day and that 28 nosler had me impressed. It was just the lack of ammo that was steering me away

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 7mag for quite a few years also and is another great round. I sold it and bought the .280AI though and haven’t looked back.

I have a 223, 6mm CM, 6.5 PRC, and 308. The 308 is my UL mountain rifle out to 500 yards. 6.5 PRC is set up for long range big game hunting out to 1200. 6mm is my predator rifle. 223 is for varmints and plinking. All are 1/2 moa rifles except for the 308. Its still being broken in and I have only used one type of ammo, it also only has a 12.5” barrel, but folds up small.

I would get a 223. You can always lighten up your other rifles by going with a lighter weight scope.

TheGDog

WKR
Oh Nice! 12.5" in a habitat where the shots won't be uber long sounds like it'd lop-off a lot of unneeded pack-in weight! Be especially cool with a folding stock, which I'm guessing it probably has?

robtattoo

WKR
I gotta mention my favorite. Again.
.358 Win (plus a .223 bolt, obvs)
It's like a .308 on steroids. Great for everything from mices to mooseses, up close to farther than you'd think. Find a buddy who reloads & you can build plinking/small game loads for pennies, or run big ol' sausages at 250+gn for that Hippo of a lifetime.

If you want a 300prc get one. Is there overlap with your 300wsm? Surely but so what? It's a want not a need.

I already have a custom 300prc so I would build a 338 Terminator.

wyosteve

WKR
Get a lightweight .338 Win. Mag. and be done with it. Sell the rest, except for maybe a .223 for varmints!