if you’re headed to Idaho or Montana in September- start your prayers now

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
2021 is on track to make 88 look like a mild fire year.

If the unit you’re planning on hunting isn’t already burning, looks like a good chance in the next six weeks or so it could be.

The silver lining is if the unit you’re hunting is still there, you won’t have to worry about scent control- you and everything else will smell like smoke in ten to twenty minutes.

Pray for rain (or snow) and lots of it.

It’s wild this year. Just about every mountain range for the forest I work for here in MT has an active fire on it. And it’s not even August yet. We had 4 fires start from a single cell moving through in one night. Fuel moistures plummeting, single digit humidity, no wetting rain in sight, and temps in the 90’s. Things are lining up.

manitou1

WKR
We feel like we are in an alternate world here in our area... a hazy bubble with limited visibility. Awful sad, and gloomy.
No doubt the winds here today won't help.

Calling for lots of afternoon thuderstorms in my corner of ID this week. I hope they come in without much lightning. I've seen 'holdovers' start fires two weeks after a cell moved through, even when it rained. Fingers crossed for whatever moisture we can get, and an especially big winter.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, Captain Optimism! Realist!
fixed :D

I was telling my wife this morning that you could put up a map of Montana (ditto on Idaho) throw a dart at it and you’d be hard pressed to not a hit a fire.

The spookiest part is it’s not the end of August, it’s the end of July! :(

As you can imagine, resources are thinning very quickly. Not nearly enough personnel, tankers, copters, dozers, etc with these persisting conditions. That’s why I say pray.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a hunt planned for the Bob first of sep . lord bring the rain!!!

Thus far, miraculously, the Bob has been mostly spared. Their is a fire up Cabin Ck in the Scapegoat, but so far that’s it in the Bob Complex, which is simply amazing to me (in a very good way!)

Flathead got a little rain this AM... not a ton, but sure can't hurt. Forecast next week looks like it could have a little rain and be a little cooler... fingers crossed!

Mtnboy

WKR
We got a pretty heavy rain West of Boise last night. I didn't hear much, if any, thunder or lighting but I was half asleep.

Boise area got some rain this morning also. Problem is it was more of a brief thunderstorm that hopefully did not start any more lighting fires.