if you’re headed to Idaho or Montana in September- start your prayers now

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rained in Meagher county couple days ago, around .6”-1.5”. Unfortunately it didn’t hardly touch the Woods Creek fire in the Big belts and I’ve been told it’s still going strong. Thought I’d update you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from the Elkhorn's (Casey Peak) yesterday evening- the Woods Ck fire plume looked like an A-bomb mushroom cloud

9a0F6Q6.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rained pretty hard here again a bit ago. Wasn't even in the forecast today

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
2001 was another year public lands in MT were closed due to stage 3 restrictions. When things hit that level other disciplines in land management agencies (recreation, biologists, timber staff, hydrology, engineering) are directed to fight and support fire. When that happens employees don't have the time or energy to manage a public that at times can be clueless to the current fire danger. Let's hope we don't make it to stage 3.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
We got another set of 105-110 degree temps coming to Oregon. Possibly 5 days in a row in the triple digits. Wouldn’t be surprised if we break 110. Every day they seem to up the temps for next week by a degree or two. Hoping this is the last of the real bad heat for us but I won’t hold my breath. It was 102-104 when I was headed bow hunting early last September. We still have a month plus of real heat left.

Clarktar

WKR
We got another set of 105-110 degree temps coming to Oregon. Possibly 5 days in a row in the triple digits. Wouldn’t be surprised if we break 110. Every day they seem to up the temps for next week by a degree or two. Hoping this is the last of the real bad heat for us but I won’t hold my breath. It was 102-104 when I was headed bow hunting early last September. We still have a month plus of real heat left.
Yep, I just got assigned to an Oregon fire. Checked the weather outlook, no bueno. Lows in the mid 70s at night.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jmav58

WKR
Rained again another .5"-.8" in Meagher County. Looks like it slowed up the Woods Creek Fire a bit, but it's supposed to be in the mid 80's this week with wind so I'm sure it'll keep going. Little Belts have gotten quite a bit of rain for those guys that hunt that. The Castles have gotten some rain but it's still incredibly dry and the ranchers have grazed several FS leases to the ground. Haven't seen elk in a month, which is pretty disappointing. All the elk I've seen around WSS and Wilsall have been really low FYI.

Broomd

WKR
We had a meager rain last night, but more importantly the temps are a cool 57* right now, cloudy with 80% humidity.
It's weird feeling damp air out there after stifling dryness for months.

The heat and sun will return for another 7-10 day joust, but at least things are currently moist. We shouldn't burn today.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
we're a day or two from surpassing a half million acres burned in Montana, not sure where Idaho is

700,000 acres currently and climbing everyday; most of the state enjoyed cooler temps and some rainfall for a couple of day- those days have passed and we're hot and dry again; much of the state is also experiencing high winds- the trifecta of bad weather news :(

Last edited:

NB7

WKR
The unit my dad, son and I have been planning to hunt in MT this September is currently experiencing a fire of about 1000 acres. Currently, the USFS has pretty much the entire NF in this entire area shut down per Forest Order, which states it will be that way until Sept 1st. Seems a little much considering the location of the current fire and that the size has been pretty static for a while. I don't have any experience with dealing with those orders, and was wondering if anyone could please tell me the likelihood, if any, that the order will be lifted as scheduled on Sept 1st. I'm hoping maybe that's the normal?
In the meantime, I'm scrambling to pick another unit and put together a back-up e-scouting plan. Just in case.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
The unit my dad, son and I have been planning to hunt in MT this September is currently experiencing a fire of about 1000 acres. Currently, the USFS has pretty much the entire NF in this entire area shut down per Forest Order, which states it will be that way until Sept 1st. Seems a little much considering the location of the current fire and that the size has been pretty static for a while. I don't have any experience with dealing with those orders, and was wondering if anyone could please tell me the likelihood, if any, that the order will be lifted as scheduled on Sept 1st. I'm hoping maybe that's the normal?
In the meantime, I'm scrambling to pick another unit and put together a back-up e-scouting plan. Just in case.
With current conditions and outlook, the likelihood of that order being dropped on the 1st is unlikely. More likely to be extended. I'd have multiple backup plans if I were you.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With current conditions and outlook, the likelihood of that order being dropped on the 1st is unlikely. More likely to be extended. I'd have multiple backup plans if I were you.

agreed; yes there is a chance the order could be lifted, but it would take a pretty drastic change in the weather which the long term forecast is not showing, nor looking historically

Reactions: NB7

TheTone

WKR
Very light rain this morning for a couple hours and much cooler temps. Unfortunately the rain we had predicted for tomorrow is no longer in the forecast.