if you’re headed to Idaho or Montana in September- start your prayers now

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
we got a pretty good yesterday evening and last night- just under an inch; much cooler today with the highs today only in the 50's- chance of more rain this morning, more possible Friday and early next week

doesn't appear to be a fire ending event, but should slow things considerably and let the firefighters catch their breath

mwebs

WKR
Raining good in NE Idaho currently, looking great! It also brought smoke in with it, thanks Cali

ODB

WKR
Was hoping this transition would have brought cleaner air to the valley. The temps are great, still smells like campfire though. I’d love to see some showers about now…

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana is lucking out with the air quality today, all but three stations are reporting “good”, haven’t seen that since June

Little optimism for you guys, the only reason I have my #1 producing spot right now is because my original spot was on fire my first year west. Sometimes a B spot can be great. Sometimes an A spot on fire will be great for the next 3.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
we also added a little moisture to the bigger storm earlier, but as important we've stayed cool and humid; looking at inciweb they've made some decent progress on some of the larger fires

calling for a little more moisture this afternoon/evening here (Central Montana), but the even better news is we stay in the 70's for highs and 40's for lows for at least a week!

this is not smoke, but wonderful clouds hanging high!

snuWI6G.jpg

WcO1hiy.jpg

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Our hunt out of the Dixie ID area was postponed til next year by the outfitter due to the fires. According to him, even if the parks opened back up it didn't give him enough time to clear trails and scout to get us the hunt we were paying for. I gotta respect that! It sucks but we really wanted to hunt this area so I guess 2022 it is!!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good news in Northwest Montana, several forests/other jurisdictions have lifted Stage 2 restrictions. I wouldn’t be surprised if some other forests in Montana follow suit.

milljaco

FNG
I haven’t been able to scout the area in my unit for elk that opens in September because of a fire and closed roads. Starting to get pretty bummed but I guess it’s a good opportunity to branch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headed to MT on Thursday, general tag, western half of the state, currently areas I've looked at are Stage 2 fire restrictions (no wood burning stoves allowed), be there a week, any wisdom in packing a stove in the event they lift restrictions? Thinking about just leaving it at this point, won't be too cold.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if the forecast looks favorable (ie not cold) I say save the weight. I usually don’t bother with mine until the snow is flying.

if the forecast looks favorable (ie not cold) I say save the weight. I usually don’t bother with mine until the snow is flying.

I meant for truck camping, sorry should have mentioned that. Have the space but if only 20% chance I’d use it prefer to leave behind.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have a propane stove that could help dry out clothing, I’d leave it behind, if you don’t, I’d probably bring it

I’d check again on fire restrictions (they can change daily) many (most) forests have moved to Stage 1 or rescinded all restrictions

WCB

WKR
Headed to MT on Thursday, general tag, western half of the state, currently areas I've looked at are Stage 2 fire restrictions (no wood burning stoves allowed), be there a week, any wisdom in packing a stove in the event they lift restrictions? Thinking about just leaving it at this point, won't be too cold.
me personally I see zero reason to bring a stove with the forecast predicted. It is not going to be cold enough. But in my defense I don't carry a wood stove ever...just my cook stove.