if you’re headed to Idaho or Montana in September- start your prayers now

we're a day or two from surpassing a half million acres burned in Montana, not sure where Idaho is

some areas received much needed rain, but only provided a slight easing in fire behavior- it would have to rain heavily several days in a row to end this and in my 50 years of living here, I've never seen that in August

with it only being a couple of days into August and no end in sight to dry and hot conditions, it's not unconceivable that we could see full closures like we did in 88

hopefully an early snow in September ends this carnage
What exactly do full closures mean?

2021 is on track to make 88 look like a mild fire year.

If the unit you’re planning on hunting isn’t already burning, looks like a good chance in the next six weeks or so it could be.

The silver lining is if the unit you’re hunting is still there, you won’t have to worry about scent control- you and everything else will smell like smoke in ten to twenty minutes.

Pray for rain (or snow) and lots of it.
That’s terrible,

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot we got one fire over 400k in Oregon. Half million ain’t no big deal in the grand scheme of it all

Oregon has 550,000 acres burned- as you say 400k in the Bootleg fire; yeah a half million acres is pretty big in the grand scheme of things- especially if those half million acres have directly effected you or family

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 88, the governor (Montana) shut everything down- no recreation on any forest. I was working as a Wilderness Ranger in 88 in the Great Bear Wilderness and had to turn folks around.

In 88, the governor (Montana) shut everything down- no recreation on any forest. I was working as a Wilderness Ranger in 88 in the Great Bear Wilderness and had to turn folks around.
MtWarden - How long did the closures last in 88? I assume the closure was for all recreation on public lands, not just NSF?

Crazy. It isn’t outside the realm of possibilities for Utah, they just don’t have specific stage 3 language predefined. Instead, they list “special restrictions” and leave it open ended. Anyone know how many times and in what states a full closure has been implemented?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that’s what happened in 88

If I remember correctly, it only lasted about two weeks (into September) and we got some pretty widespread snow

I read this hoping you were praying for the US border to open up so I could go to Mt. this year ! Sucks about the fires but makes me feel a little better about not being able to cross to hunt with my friends out west ! Hopefully they get some helpful weather to slow them down for you guys that can go hunt !!

KHNC

WKR
Hopefully Cody carr will get shut down and he will have to go out of business. Looks like some of his area is burning. But otherwise, its a shame all this forest is getting destroyed. We got kicked out of a large area of Wyoming 3 years ago due to september fires.

MT257

WKR
Was the governor in 88 along the lines though like GG is about being open for business?

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I think we now have over 110 active fires. On Monday we had somewhere around 70 I think. We got some weather that rolled in that brought some rain here and there, but also brought a ton of lightning strikes. Hopefully none of them become the new Bootleg fire.

I think part of the NF were the Big 3 are located should be opening back up today. However, some rangers have told people most won't up until we get some really good rain. So sometime in October then... This bow season could be an interesting one.

I’m not from anywhere in the west and can’t speak to any fire issues as I have zero experience, however a full closure of public lands seems like overkill. I understand the devastation these fire cause but shutting down millions and millions of acres that aren’t burning is a little much. As you could probably guess I’m planning to be in Montana in mid September for two weeks hunting, so I have my own “skin” in the game for them to not shut it down.
What’s the likelyhood they would implement a shutdown

Unfortunately, I don't think a full shutdown would be overkill. The risk is real, and the resources available are already spread thin. This means the impact of a fire is potentially higher because it would burn uncontrolled and cause more damage.

I am swayed to that thinking because 'people' are freaking stupid. I am pretty sure I witnessed the cause of the Taylor fire currently burning in central Montana: there were some contractors burning what I would guess was excess building materials alongside a home build. As dry as that country was it should have been obvious how risky it was. I do think 99% of the folks that would show up to hunt would be responsible and conscientious; but it's the 1% I am quite certain will be idiots.

Edited to add: I myself have a tag and don't want a shutdown, but Montanans are some of the best folks I've ever come across. Friendly, generous, modest, and incredibly resolute. I don't want elk steaks in my freezer if it comes at the cost of their homes or livelihoods.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't think a full shutdown would be overkill. The risk is real, and the resources available are already spread thin. This means the impact of a fire is potentially higher because it would burn uncontrolled and cause more damage.

I am swayed to that thinking because 'people' are freaking stupid. I do think 99% of the folks that would show up to hunt would be responsible and conscientious; but it's the 1% I am quite certain will be idiots.
Went for a hike last night up a local trail....the amount of people smoking......they were hiding it pretty good, but really??