if you’re headed to Idaho or Montana in September- start your prayers now

Unfortunately, I don't think a full shutdown would be overkill. The risk is real, and the resources available are already spread thin. This means the impact of a fire is potentially higher because it would burn uncontrolled and cause more damage.

I am swayed to that thinking because 'people' are freaking stupid. I am pretty sure I witnessed the cause of the Taylor fire currently burning in central Montana: there were some contractors burning what I would guess was excess building materials alongside a home build. As dry as that country was it should have been obvious how risky it was. I do think 99% of the folks that would show up to hunt would be responsible and conscientious; but it's the 1% I am quite certain will be idiots.

Edited to add: I myself have a tag and don't want a shutdown, but Montanans are some of the best folks I've ever come across. Friendly, generous, modest, and incredibly resolute. I don't want elk steaks in my freezer if it comes at the cost of their homes or livelihoods.
I agree! If the risk is too high, closures make sense. I will be really disappointed if I don't get to archery hunt MT this year, but that's out of my control. If it's going to happen, I just hope it does before September.

WCB

WKR
I’m not from anywhere in the west and can’t speak to any fire issues as I have zero experience, however a full closure of public lands seems like overkill. I understand the devastation these fire cause but shutting down millions and millions of acres that aren’t burning is a little much. As you could probably guess I’m planning to be in Montana in mid September for two weeks hunting, so I have my own “skin” in the game for them to not shut it down.
What’s the likelyhood they would implement a shutdown
When it gets dry enough that you have to consider horse shoes sparking against rocks as something that has a very good chance of starting a fire....full closures are sometimes needed. On top of that all the morons that can't last 10minutes without stuffing their faces with a smoke or all the hot 4 wheeler mufflers (or trucks) parking in grass.

These aren't ditch fires in the midwest. Last thing anyone needs is an out of control fire with hundreds of hunters in direct line of it.

Archery goes through Oct 17th...IMO there will be a chance to get out or just come back for rifle.

I’ve seen 1988 referenced a few times but I’m seeing that there have been larger fire years since. What’s the difference between 1988 and 2012,2017?
There wasnt a shutdown in either of those years but they both had more acres burned than 1988, unless I read the report wrong which is quite possible

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
2012 and 17 had more acres burn (I think you can add a few more years too), but they had several very large fires and the impact across the state wasn’t as wide spread.

What makes 88 “special” was that there were fires everywhere, small and large and conditions across the state were tinder dry, new starts daily.

Full closure would be the very last resort, hopefully it doesn’t come to pas.

2012 and 17 had more acres burn (I think you can add a few more years too), but they had several very large fires and the impact across the state wasn’t as wide spread.

What makes 88 “special” was that there were fires everywhere, small and large and conditions across the state were tinder dry, new starts daily.

Full closure would be the very last resort, hopefully it doesn’t come to pas.

That makes sense! Hopefully there is no closure but if there is we will adapt.

Baddog

WKR
Oregon has 550,000 acres burned- as you say 400k in the Bootleg fire; yeah a half million acres is pretty big in the grand scheme of things- especially if those half million acres have directly effected you or family
Yes of course If it burns your home or others it’s a big deal. I just meant from an ecological point of view it’s not a terrible thing.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
We are scheduled to hunt the area near Dixie ID late September. Anyone know the likelihood of hunting still being decent that soon after a burn (assuming it's out)? I'm guessing most game will be concentrated into safe areas with game gradually returning as it greens up next spring?? I guess a call to the outfitter is in order!!

Spike elk

WKR
We are scheduled to hunt the area near Dixie ID late September. Anyone know the likelihood of hunting still being decent that soon after a burn (assuming it's out)? I'm guessing most game will be concentrated into safe areas with game gradually returning as it greens up next spring?? I guess a call to the outfitter is in order!!
It really depends on how hot it burned. If it was really torched it might be a couple years. If the fire just scooted through fast then it might even green up this fall if it gets wet.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I talked to a good friend of mine who works for the forest service and he said that they're discussing stage 3 fire restrictions for my area, and he said they will close the lands down with big fines if caught. He said they will remain in place until we get a lot of rain or snow and with how it's been going, we'll be lucky to get that. I'm hoping it doesn't happen, but with how dry things are, it'll only take one idiot, and our area will be burning and as much as I love to hunt, I'd rather them close the lands and inconvenience a bunch of people, than to have my house and or livelihood taken by a fire that could've been prevented.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back a decade plus ago in one of the bad seasons I remember then closing unit 121 in Montana till about mid September when several soaking days of rain came in north Idaho had no open flame restrictions but you could hunt….going back to the 80s when I archery hunted fires were common in north Idaho with smoke just not to the magnitude of the lack of any rain we are seeing this year……firestorm here in Spokane back a decade plus ago occurred in october so we have two months to go for measurable rain to help….rain dance time for sure

The smoke and over average heat has been hard this summer. Canyon Ferry is the lowest I can remember. Praying for snow.

I fought a late season fire last year that was caused by an archery hunter’s warming fire he walked away from when it wasn’t dead out. And that was when fire conditions weren’t half as bad as they are now. It resulted in thousands of acres burned, and a closure of nearly all public land in a single hunting district. I’ve already been on 3 fires this year and it’s only August. Two of those fires have resulted in firefighter injuries and homes destroyed.

As a lifelong hunter and firefighter, I can definitively say there is no hunting season or tag worth the life of one of my brothers or sisters that might result from us needing to put out a fire someone starts through negligence or simple misfortune. If fire conditions are bad enough, simply letting the exhaust of your rig touch dry grass for a split second is enough to start a fire we cannot control. Folks truly underestimate and don’t understand how easy it is to start a wildfire when conditions get bad.

That being said, public land closures and fire restrictions are never taken lightly and are only conducted for absolute necessity given a suite of considerations and deliberations.

That being said, public land closures and fire restrictions are never taken lightly and are only conducted for absolute necessity given a suite of considerations and deliberations.

First off, thanks for fighting fires. I did it for a number of years and now do dozer contract work for some agencies. I miss engaging on the regular.

But I have to strongly disagree with what you wrote above. I’ve seen a lot of BS closures in my day. There are some absolute wacko rangers/managers that have made some poor decisions when it comes to closures in the name of “safety”

For instance- in Colorado, this year, there have been THOUSANDS of acres closed down to all recreational activities because there was a fire LAST YEAR!!!

When is it safe to enter public lands? When the almighty “Ranger” grants us peasants permission??? Mind blowing.

F8788584-4170-4B5F-A92F-A3E4C7CF52A7.jpeg

I don’t know where the line in the sand is, but closing places because it “might” burn or someone “might” get hurt is insane to me.

More people are killed “recreating” on public lands than have ever died due to fire related injuries. It’s not even debatable. Locally we have multiple medical emergencies weekly. Atv accidents, horse related injuries, slips and falls etc. yet we don’t “close” public lands down….

You guys that are ok with hunting areas being shut down cause it might burn, or even being sympathetic to that blow my mind. I sometimes cannot believe the stuff I read my fellow hunters post.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
s a lifelong hunter and firefighter, I can definitively say there is no hunting season or tag worth the life of one of my brothers or sisters that might result from us needing to put out a fire someone starts through negligence or simple misfortune. I

I’ve seen a lot of BS closures in my day. There are some absolute wacko rangers/managers that have made some poor decisions when it comes to closures in the name of “safety”

I agree with both of you.

MTSasquatch is speaking from a professional point of view.

I can say from my experience that the decision maker isn't always the competent qualified individual. It used to be that expierience rose through the ranks and the guy at the helm was the most qualified. That is not the case anymore. Many of our leaders / decision makers have zero field experience and are nothing more than a boot 90 day wonder 2nd LT.

I hope you guys get rain and you have a good season.

I will keep those that are fighting these fires in my prayers.

Spike elk

WKR
First off, thanks for fighting fires. I did it for a number of years and now do dozer contract work for some agencies. I miss engaging on the regular.

But I have to strongly disagree with what you wrote above. I’ve seen a lot of BS closures in my day. There are some absolute wacko rangers/managers that have made some poor decisions when it comes to closures in the name of “safety”

For instance- in Colorado, this year, there have been THOUSANDS of acres closed down to all recreational activities because there was a fire LAST YEAR!!!

When is it safe to enter public lands? When the almighty “Ranger” grants us peasants permission??? Mind blowing.

View attachment 313787

I don’t know where the line in the sand is, but closing places because it “might” burn or someone “might” get hurt is insane to me.

More people are killed “recreating” on public lands than have ever died due to fire related injuries. It’s not even debatable. Locally we have multiple medical emergencies weekly. Atv accidents, horse related injuries, slips and falls etc. yet we don’t “close” public lands down….

You guys that are ok with hunting areas being shut down cause it might burn, or even being sympathetic to that blow my mind. I sometimes cannot believe the stuff I read my fellow hunters post.
This x2.

jmav58

WKR
Rained in Meagher county couple days ago, around .6”-1.5”. Unfortunately it didn’t hardly touch the Woods Creek fire in the Big belts and I’ve been told it’s still going strong. Thought I’d update you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk