If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana.....

4th generation Montana resident hunter, and I oppose this bill. I called my representative and senator and outlined my position and asked them to use their good judgement to vote against this bill. I don’t know a single Montana resident who supports this bill who is not a hunting outfitter. I am not opposed for the purposes of providing nonresidents balanced opportunity but because a public resource such as wildlife should not be legislatively allocated for private benefit. Good day

Deadfall

WKR
I sincerely hope the bill dies. Either way when hunting goes away, outfitters will be last ones standing. When the blue collar guy can no longer afford to hunt diy on public land it'll be fun to listen too who gets blamed. Noone gonna look in the mirror.

With or without outfitter tags hunting is still headed for privatization. Going there quicker then I care for.

Also hope everyone keeps on shopping at big joints and buying Chinese. Full throttle ahead.

The rich guy that wants to hunt isn't going going diy. They'll keep on using outfitters, buying land and closing it off to anyone not in their circle.

Funniest part is when it happens, everyone still going to point at outfitters....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

You know what increases access to public lands?

Block Management. When the tags are spread to the general public landowners have more incentive to stay in the program.

Excerpt:

“The program now boasts nearly six million acres of private land made accessible to hunters, and over 1.1 million acres of public land are made more accessible through Block Management Areas (BMAs).”

That goes for both residents and non-residents.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
With or without outfitter tags hunting is still headed for privatization. Going there quicker then I care for.

Not if we protect our public lands, keep managing wildlife as a public resource, and work to support and expand public/private partnerships like Block Management.

That is precisely why we have to defeat this bill. It’s NOT about blaming outfitters. It is about maintaining the North American Model of Wildlife Management.

Cabelas sold out to Bass Pro. They have no interest in holding land. They are going to sell assets for the benefit of their shareholders.

They are going to sell it. Yes that is unfortunate that block management was lost but private sales are allowed.

State of Montana needs to increase the amount they are allowed to pay for block management. They have excess funds each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha well I can't let my true feelings on other countries out.

But yes any reduction to tags is a huge problem for me, I don't care why, how or by who. I just want to hunt. I don't have kids so I don't really care about the next generation.
I only care about how many Elk my friends and I can dead in our life.
I went on a couple guided type things. A bear but and I helped my bobcat guide buddy a couple days and F all that guide and outfitter stuff its just not for me.
Maybe if I had the big money for real adventures but I don't.

This a selfish attitude. I care about the next generation and will do my best to preserve hunting opportunities on the landscape for many years after I am dead.

It is hard with population growth, globalization and people living longer but perhaps enough land can be protected forever to give us a chance.

This a selfish attitude. I care about the next generation and will do my best to preserve hunting opportunities on the landscape for many years after I am dead.

It is hard with population growth, globalization and people living longer but perhaps enough land can be protected forever to give us a chance.

I never said it wasn't selfish.
Believe it or not being selfish is ok

Turner? That is a problem. We will see what happens when he dies.

Turner’s ranches are outfitted by Montana Hunting Company. They still allow some locals to help with herd management and fill B tags. They even opened up the Flying D via FWP for several years to take elk numbers down. Turner is not a problem. Ignorance about Ted is a problem.

Just so everyone's tracking, the bill was amended that 40% of the tags are available for "early" draw with the increased $300 fee, but you no longer need to utilize the tags with an outfitter. That's a big win for us all things considered. It would be more in line with WY with their "special" draw.

That said we still need to keep the pressure on in the house as the bill could be amended again.

Turner’s ranches are outfitted by Montana Hunting Company. They still allow some locals to help with herd management and fill B tags. They even opened up the Flying D via FWP for several years to take elk numbers down. Turner is not a problem. Ignorance about Ted is a problem.

I was just asking. I know he hunts. I wasn’t aware he allowed public hunting or public access. Is it all pay for play?

Just so everyone's tracking, the bill was amended that 40% of the tags are available for "early" draw with the increased $300 fee, but you no longer need to utilize the tags with an outfitter. That's a big win for us all things considered. It would be more in line with WY with their "special" draw.

That said we still need to keep the pressure on in the house as the bill could be amended again.

Well those are going to sell out fast! The outfitters better be ready to help their clients day one!

Well those are going to sell out fast! The outfitters better be ready to help their clients day one!

It's still a draw so they wont sell out. I believe applications are open 12/1 - 12/31 with draw occurring on 1/15. Unsuccessful applicants are rolled into the regular draw for the remaining 60% of tags.

I didn't see details but would be good to confirm if it would be run like the regular draw with 75% in PP and then remaining 25% in random.

jmez

WKR
700,000 acres in montana is owned by other countries..that was in 2018. How much more is owned by wealthy non resident private citizens? Outfitters ate the problem? Hmmmm...
What % of the public issued tags are being set aside for those entities to profit on?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Also worth noting, the $300 premium early application fee goes to fund Habitat Montana. Seems like a good destination to me and one resident hunters can get behind.