If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana.....

jmez

WKR
Private lands and who owns them isn't relevant to the discussion, unless the state or Feds are planning on purchasing that land.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I was just asking. I know he hunts. I wasn’t aware he allowed public hunting or public access. Is it all pay for play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it’s not all pay. To clarify I should have included that this pertains to the Flying D Ranch in Montana.

OkayestHNTR

Lil-Rokslider
If you are a self-guided non-resident who applies in Montana, this podcast might be of interest to you.

I reached out to some outfitters to see if a MOGA representative wanted to be on my podcast to talk about SB 143. Mac Minard, the ED of MOGA, found a window of time to share a mic. I asked my editor to turn this around as a high priority.

Some advance notes to keep in mind as you listen. I sent Mac a list of talking points. I do not view my podcast as a place to blindside people. This is not a discussion intended to be a trap for MOGA. I promised Mac he would have the first 20 minutes to explain the rationale for MOGA bringing forth this bill as it was originally proposed and the rationale for the amendment down to 39%. And that he would have the chance to provide commentary or rebuttal to any of my points.

I'm confident in my positions and reasons for opposing this bill. I am sure Mac is confident that he is doing the work his association expects of him. Neither of us likely changed the other's mind on any of the issues.

I gave Mac the benefit of all courtesies to explain his rationale, having full confidence that our audience fully understands the issues and can sort out the facts from sales pitch, how this bill will impact them, and what is at stake in the bigger picture when an effort is made to override a citizen's vote on this same issue. The math is the math and that math shows this is a big hit to the self-guided non-resident.

Part of what we learn from this is where MOGA feels is their strongest defense and by ignoring some topics they show what they feel are their weakest positions. Hopefully this will generate some discussion and expand advocacy and awareness.

As much as I disagree with all principles this bill represents, thanks to Mac for taking the time.

Listen directly at this link -----> https://www.stitcher.com/show/hunt-...nting-politics-primer-montana-sb-143-81631896

Download directly at this link -----> https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/hunttalk/21021320-20HT20Podcast20-20MT20Guide20Bill.mp3

Or, use your podcast app and search for Hunt Talk Radio and download the most recent episode #154.

I will continue to follow this bill through the entire legislative process, doing a YouTube video to compliment this podcast and possibly doing another podcast as the bill progresses. That podcast will be more of an explanation of how to be an advocate within the legislative process. And hopefully encourage people to get even more involved in protecting the hunting they have and the access necessary for such
Thank you Randy for the conversation with MOGA.

Deadfall

WKR
That bill just got hilariously sickening. Outfitters don't get tags. Landowners get 2000 tags. LMFAO....there's a help for accesss....Recon folks like Galt are absolutely extatic. HaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaHAAAAAHAAAAA.......ROFLMFAO.....

lot of good that 300 bucks will do.....haaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaahaaaa.....
Hey, on the bright side atleast our "local" outfitters got the shaft again....thank God for that.

Can't wait to see how much access those private land tags open up......holy moly...

P.s. in response to an early post....
Opening 3 more acesd points on the same piece of land does not constitute more access. Just more parking....

Some of the bma numbers being thrown around on here are skewed...

Whats not being reported on is how much access we are losing and have been for a long time....but those numbers aren't nearly as sexy.

I'm sure giving landowners a bunch of tags will be real sexy to the non residents who appear to run this state now.....

Haaaaaha!aaaaahaaaaaaaa

How come everyone thst wax so worried about access until up in arms now...hmmmmm

Erict

WKR
Do I have this right? If I have an extra $300 burning a hole in my pocket I can apply in the early draw and if not drawn then I get thrown into the general draw. So what happened to preference points for elk/deer? Do they just get thrown out the window?

This bill appears to be going from bad to worse. Hope it never makes it out of the Senate.

Deadfall

WKR
Private lands and who owns them isn't relevant to the discussion, unless the state or Feds are planning on purchasing that land.

Sure is, when it's being shutdown. After all fear about loosing access us what all uproar is about after all.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That bill just got hilariously sickening. Outfitters don't get tags. Landowners get 2000 tags. LMFAO....there's a help for accesss....
The legislation that established those landowner sponsored deer only B-11 tags is over 25 years old. That was not anything that has changed. They have always had that 2,000 deer tags. That horse left the barn in the 1990s.

Deadfall

WKR
The legislation that established those landowner sponsored deer only B-11 tags is over 25 years old. That was not anything that has changed. They have always had that 2,000 deer tags. That horse left the barn in the 1990s.
Wheres the uproar over that....lmfao.....this thing ain't got one darn thing to do with accesss

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Do I have this right? If I have an extra $300 burning a hole in my pocket I can apply in the early draw and if not drawn then I get thrown into the general draw. So what happened to preference points for elk/deer? Do they just get thrown out the window?

This bill appears to be going from bad to worse. Hope it never makes it out of the Senate.
My understanding is that your preference points are applicable for both the December draw ($300 premium) and the April draw. They don't get thrown out the window.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Wheres the uproar over that....lmfao.....this thing ain't got one darn thing to do with accesss
I guess that question should have been asked 25+ years ago. Did you weigh in on it when it was passed back then?

This bill does have $300 per December applicant that goes to Habitat Montana, a program to create permanent access. So, it does have money for access.

The bill still has a hearing in the House and a 3rd reading in the Senate, both being places where it might be amended further or killed. Maybe we should have just folded the tent and given the outfitters 60% of the tags and done nothing to push back over the last two weeks, so as to not annoy some folks.

Deadfall

WKR
You know...I'm not an outfitter.....I'm not a politician....I'm a guy that's hunted as part of who I am, my entire life.. not just a few week hobby....I've ben through divorce over it. Quit high paying jobs over it....

I gotta say, I'm getting a bit jaded....I joined this sight in hopes of finding new hunters looking for help.

I've gotten way off track running down this ridiculous rabbit hole.

Deadfall

WKR
I guess that question should have been asked 25+ years ago. Did you weigh in on it when it was passed back then?

This bill does have $300 per December applicant that goes to Habitat Montana, a program to create permanent access. So, it does have money for access.

The bill still has a hearing in the House and a 3rd reading in the Senate, both being places where it might be amended further or killed. Maybe we should have just folded the tent and given the outfitters 60% of the tags and done nothing to push back over the last two weeks, so as to not annoy some folks.
Haha that's funny.
Everytime I mention something about outfitters it's a backlash. Alwsys get the question how does that help access?

Habitat montana is great. Glad money being sent there. Also alot of times that's all that happens, money just sits there.

Should outfitters get 60 percent of tags...absolutely freaking not. That's ridiculous it was even posed. One of the reasons I despise MOGA. I also don't associate all outfitters with MOGA.

I'm not a outfitter, although I have worked for them and had many years of satisfying service to clients.

MOGA is just as crooked as everyother government lobby group, which us what they are.

If everyone gonna cry about access, say they don't hate outfitters, and not say a word about landowner tags, well that seems contradictory to me.

FYI...I was off FIGHTING other things back then!

jmez

WKR
I haven't had any trouble with access in Mt. I don't plan on hunting private land. I don't see how guaranteeing tags to outfitters for non residents is opening private lands?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

There HAS been uproar over b-10 and b-11 licenses for decades. But, as Randy noted, this bill doesn’t affect the status quo on that issue.

That said, it sounds like you agree this current bill is a bad idea, so why not join in opposition?

Deadfall

WKR

The 300 dollar type parts are the things I liked about the bill. The dollar numbers have changed as the bill changed. Thats the stuff that had me hopeful from the start. Hopeful the process would work out decent for everyone. Not perfect, just decent. Now it's heading toward disappointment. That habitat montana program hits alot of roadblocks and stagnated. Atleast that how it seems to me. Was really hoping the money would go straight to bma.

With so many NR moving in buying property at obscene prices its going to be tough for state government to compete. I know for fact there's been places they have tried to buy but cannot compete.

Residents seem to be happy to hear there is money going into this program. In real world use its peanuts.
Here's a breakdown.
40 percent of 17000=6800 tags
6800 tags x 300.00$=2,040,000.

In perspective. There is 140 acres outside of augusta that is literally surrounded by national forest. There's no water, electricity, or buildings. Just bare ground. It's listed at 880,000$.
2,040,000 ÷ 880,000=2.31.
So the government could buy 323.4 acres per year. If land prices don't climb anymore.

That 140 acres is not useful for anything. Old ranchers up there don't even graze it.

If that little piece of nothing costs that much. How much would good riparian ground sell for?

Point being the 300 bucks sounds good, but really its just a slap in face. So now what we have is all redident groups being jacked. Non residents reaping reward.

I completely truly and honestly hope this bill fails completely