If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana.....

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to contact the Senate Fish & Game Committee and ask them to oppose this bill. SB143 https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/billpdf/SB0143.pdf

It's hard to sort through the draft language but from what I gather this would reinstate the guaranteed outfitter licenses that were done away with through a citizens ballot initiative. It looks like this would give 60% of deer and elk permits to people hunting with outfitters. This bill is bad for residents and DIY non-residents.

Here is the contact info for the committee members:

SEN. STEVE HINEBAUCH - SD18
CHAIR
[email protected]
(406) 365-7967
(406) 989-1372

SEN. BOB BROWN - SD7
VICE CHAIR
[email protected]
(406) 242-0141

SEN. TOM JACOBSON - SD11
VICE CHAIR
[email protected]
(406) 868-9814

SEN. MARK BLASDEL - SD4
[email protected]
(406) 261-3269

SEN. JILL COHENOUR - SD 42
[email protected]
(406) 227-1144

SEN. JASON ELLSWORTH (R) - SD43
[email protected]
(406) 360-0009

SEN. PAT FLOWERS (D) - SD32
[email protected]
(406) 580-0035

SEN. GREG HERTZ (R) - SD6
[email protected]
(406) 253-9505

SEN. DAVID HOWARD (R) - SD29
[email protected]
(406) 633-2762

SEN. BOB KEENAN (R) - SD5
[email protected]
(406) 250-4111

SEN. EDIE MCCLAFFERTY (D) - SD38
[email protected]
(406) 490-5873

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
Yes bad, but the way Montana rips non-residents is already bad. You apply for a general and if not drawn they keep 20%, every time you fail to draw. For those of us that hunt 410 and the like, that's a number of years sometimes before you draw the general AND the 410 permit. They keep 20% every year...

Yes bad, but the way Montana rips non-residents is already bad. You apply for a general and if not drawn they keep 20%, every time you fail to draw. For those of us that hunt 410 and the like, that's a number of years sometimes before you draw the general AND the 410 permit. They keep 20% every year...
If the game is too difficult with a 20% buy in, then it might be time to find a new game.

You’re right, but it’s about to get a lot harder for you to draw if this passes. If you want to hunt 410 again you probably need to make some calls.

MT257

WKR
And other states don’t have admin fees? If I recall correctly there’s a processing fee I paid in Wyoming last year while applying for elk. Idaho I believe just increased rates as well. If ya don’t like it go somewhere else. Just be glad your able to apply here for these species theres states that don’t allow NR to apply for their elk tags. This will only make it more difficult for NR.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
BigSky,

I think your read is spot on. If you compare lines 19-21 of page 6 of the proposed bill to the current law (available here), you can see where the underlined, proposed text will reserve 60% of Class B-10 (nonres big game combo) and Class B-11 (nonres deer combo) licenses for outfitted hunts.

Good find. Do you think any of the folks you listed will actually care about what nonresident hunters think rather than the in-state outfitters padding their campaign funds? If so, which of the list are most apt to be open-minded?

I'm really surprised the legislature can reverse a democratic referendum so easily. Is this common in MT?

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Yes bad, but the way Montana rips non-residents is already bad. You apply for a general and if not drawn they keep 20%, every time you fail to draw.
I thought MT only kept 20% if you applied for a limited draw, got only a general tag, and you turned the general tag back in before August 1st? In other words, if all you apply for is a general tag and don't draw one, don't you get a 100% refund minus the $5 application fee?

Erict

WKR
I see several problems for NRs so far:

1. Say this passes and as a non-resident I hunt with an outfitter on an unsuccessful 5 day hunt. I still have an unused tag. If I decide to stay and DIY, is the tag still valid?

2. Say 100 NRs apply, saying they are going to hunt with outfitter Joe Blow. They get their tag and cancel their hunt with Joe Blow. Is the tag still valid?

3. Say a NR wants to hunt elk with an outfitter and deer DIY, or vice/versa. Do they get to apply for a Deer/Elk combo under the "outfitter" priority?

Last edited:

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
Phone calls and emails from Ravalli County, MT, residents are likely to be the most effective at getting this bill pulled from consideration. Jason Ellsworth, the bill's sponsor, appears to be a first term state senator who won the republican primary by running on a conservative, small government platform. If you live in Ravalli County/Senate District 43, please call/email Ellsworth and let him know this bill is guide/outfitter welfare garbage, not small government. And if you happen to be a resident of Montana who isn't terribly affected if the bill passes, just keep in mind that Idaho/Colorado/any other state you hunt as a non-resident could follow suit.

This is a very bad idea. Just say no.

I am surprised they don’t target something bigger like guide required to hunt wilderness. . Kidding...

I will call but I am not a resident. The economics of this don’t add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
I would be curious to know if Scott Boulanger, a lobbyist, former state senator and current OUTFITTER in the district (also a contributor to Ellsworth’s campaign) had any influence over the good state senator’s decision to propose a guide/outfitter welfare bill?

OP
B

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
BigSky,

I think your read is spot on. If you compare lines 19-21 of page 6 of the proposed bill to the current law (available here), you can see where the underlined, proposed text will reserve 60% of Class B-10 (nonres big game combo) and Class B-11 (nonres deer combo) licenses for outfitted hunts.

Good find. Do you think any of the folks you listed will actually care about what nonresident hunters think rather than the in-state outfitters padding their campaign funds? If so, which of the list are most apt to be open-minded?

I'm really surprised the legislature can reverse a democratic referendum so easily. Is this common in MT?
I’m not sure which ones are open minded, but I would encourage you to contact all of them. Doing nothing won’t do any good. The sponsor is a Republican and the majority of this committee is Republican. There are likely people on this committee that don’t feel too strongly either way. If they don’t hear people’s concerns they are likely to just vote along with the rest of their party.

bsnedeker

WKR
Make no mistake, this is an issue for residents just as much as NR's. If outfitters get this much more of the pie than they do now they are going to be pressuring ranchers to take their land out of the BMA program and turn it over to them on a private lease.

I'm in Flathead county, just wrote to my local senator (R) to have him push against this with his colleagues. We'll see what side he lands on.

Superdoo

WKR
Boy you would think this would put the hurt the tourism industry! Might be smart to contact them and remind them that many NR's use hotels and restaurants. I've never been on a guided hunt but I imagine they don't involve much of those two things!

1611772403750.png

OP
B

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Phone calls and emails from Ravalli County, MT, residents are likely to be the most effective at getting this bill pulled from consideration. Jason Ellsworth, the bill's sponsor, appears to be a first term state senator who won the republican primary by running on a conservative, small government platform. If you live in Ravalli County/Senate District 43, please call/email Ellsworth and let him know this bill is guide/outfitter welfare garbage, not small government. And if you happen to be a resident of Montana who isn't terribly affected if the bill passes, just keep in mind that Idaho/Colorado/any other state you hunt as a non-resident could follow suit.
This bill will affect residents as well. Guaranteed tags for outfitters means guaranteed clients. This will be more incentive for outfitters to lease land.
Montana already has a big problem with hunters not being able to get access to over objective elk herds, this will further compound the issue.

And other states don’t have admin fees? If I recall correctly there’s a processing fee I paid in Wyoming last year while applying for elk. Idaho I believe just increased rates as well. If ya don’t like it go somewhere else. Just be glad your able to apply here for these species theres states that don’t allow NR to apply for their elk tags. This will only make it more difficult for NR.

No other state to my knowledge makes you draw an elk tag you may not want in order to have a chance at a LE elk tag. MT is the already the most convoluted system out and this will make it more so.

I have and will continue to go somewhere else. I got a feeling they are only shooting themselves in the foot though with this.

Legend

WKR
Great advice!