Ignorant

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I dont wanna sound ignorant.....but I am so here goes. I have only hinted elk with rifle once. Do you hunt them in the sam areas in the middle of october that you did a month earlier during the archery season.

ElkNut1

WKR
Absolutely! The real reason for elk moving out is pressure or lack of feed, water, shelter! Rare does weather especially snows push them out that early, hunt them where you were locating them in Sept! They can still be rutting!

ElkNut1

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
ELKNUT is right on! For my 2nd tag in Idaho in a week I will be right in the same places as archery. I have more than not taken my rifle bull due to bugling &or the 2nd or 3rd estrus. Perrsonally I dont call like I do in Sept, that is not to say it cant be done, just not my preference. I am up very early listening for bugling activity and then I move in to cut them off. This will also carry into my MT Elk hunt in 2 weeks......Good Luck

Swede

WKR
I have no debate with Elknut or anyone else on this, but be aware elk move around and can leave an area for different reasons. Hunt elk where they are. Check for fresh sign, tracks and feces, and go on that basis. I have elk in locations in late August and early September that are pushed out well before the rifle season starts.

OP
B

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
where we hunted in unit 7 wyoming it seemed that all the hunters we talked to thought the 2 miles in that we spike camped was the end of the earth. I couldnt believe they thought that was ridiculously to far. we were in bulls the last 3 days and i hope everyone else has that same atitude and didnt push them any farther towards or on to the private lands. Obviously no roksliders were hunting or camping near us.