ILF Recurve String Length, Bow Length

dlee56

WKR
I just started into shooing a recurve, and I'm looking for a little education on bow length measurements and string length selection.

I have a 19" riser and long limbs. By the listings and from the pro shop this is a 62" bow. However, when I measure it tip to tip it is only 60" long. Is this typical with ILF setups? DO you measure recurves including the curled ends or straight line?

When it comes to string selection, from videos I've seen and articles I've read the length of your string should be 3-4" shorter than the measured length from string groove to string groove on your recurve. However with the setup I left the pro shop with my string is almost 1/2" longer than the straight line measurement from string groove to string groove. Are there any hard and fast rules for selecting string length for an ILF recurve?

My setup was put together at a very reputable shop (RMS) and has been feeling great and shooting great. Just looking to advance my knowledge on the subject.

I am not sure about ILF setups as I have never owned one. As for strings recurve 4 inch shorter string longbow 3 inch shorter string in general. I shoot 8 strand strings that I have made from over the years with home made wooly puffs. If the Clums set you up then its more than likely the correct string. Shoot it in and keep twisting it if you have too.

Tartan

WKR
19" riser and longs should be a 64" bow. It is measured tip to tip, but you follow along the curve on the "belly" of the limb when unstrung.

3" less is the general rule of thumb, but not every manufacturer or combination of riser and limbs follow the rules exactly. If RMS gave you a 60.5" string for a 64" bow it will likely get you the recommended brace height. May need to add or take a way some twists from the string.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
19" riser and longs should be a 64" bow. It is measured tip to tip, but you follow along the curve on the "belly" of the limb when unstrung.

3" less is the general rule of thumb, but not every manufacturer or combination of riser and limbs follow the rules exactly. If RMS gave you a 60.5" string for a 64" bow it will likely get you the recommended brace height. May need to add or take a way some twists from the string.
Ohh that would make a lot more sense.. How can you tell the recommended brace height? Is that a manufacturer spec?

Tartan

WKR
Ohh that would make a lot more sense.. How can you tell the recommended brace height? Is that a manufacturer spec?

There is a of fine detail that probably isn't necessary when starting out. Unless you have an odd ball riser or limbs, for a 64" bow, you'll likely be somewhere in the 7.5-8.5" range. RMS can guide you if you can't find a spec from manufacturers.

If you're using limbs and a riser from different companies they both might give different specs. Ilf is just a standard for the connection between a limb and a riser. They'll likely be close, but there are oddballs out there that don't confirm to the norm.

oldgoat

WKR
My rule of thumb on setting brace and it's just a basic starting point is to set it at 8" for recurves of normal length which I consider 64" to be normal, really short recurves and really long recurves seem to usually require a longer brace. Then once there I look under the string right where it quits contacting the limb, look for the groove the string rests in, I'll then adjust it so there's just a tiny bit of groove showing like 1/8" or so, that's my starting point, you can then play with it up and down to see where the bow is the quietest, that's usually the spot it will shoot the best.

oldgoat

WKR
Oh, thought of an addendum to my last post, once you find the sweet spot for your brace height, pull the string off, put one of the loops on a nail or something similar, pull the string fairly right and measure it from nail to end of other loop, that's your Actual String Length ASL, and that's the measurement you want to use when ordering a new string. One other thing, since you have an ilf, changing the draw weight will change your brace height, as you back bolts out the brace will rise and vice versa and you may or may not have to adjust

FWIW, I have a 17" riser ILF with Med. Limbs.
This is a 60" bow.

As Tartan pointed out your 19" riser with long limbs will be 64".

I just made a string for one of my 17" risers with long limbs. Which is a 62" bow.
The string I made is 14 strands, 39 twists.
It is 58 1/8".

Putting that string on the bow puts my Brace height in the middle of the recommended range of 7 1/4" to 7 3/4".

As Oldgoat says, once you get a string twisted to the point where your bow is right at its ideal Brace height, you'll want to get that strings measurement and get any other strings made to that length.

I've read guidelines that say the string should be 4" shorter than the AMO length for a recurve and 3" shorter for a longbow.

That might get you close.....but not as close as the Old goat method.

Attachments

• 20210331_151006.jpg
    20210331_151006.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 18

Psnguyen

FNG
Agree with the above, 19" riser plus long limbs is a 64" set up, and subtract 3-3.5" for the string length.

For brace height, best way to tune is by starting in the bottom of the manufacturer's recommended settings, shoot a couple set of arrows, add a few twists to increase BH by 1/8", shoot a few more arrows listening for sound and post shot reaction. A quieter bow is what you're looking for, and keep adding twists until you hit a valley of quieter back to loud, and go back to the brace height where it was most quiet.