ILF vs wood struggle

Geewhiz

WKR
The whole entire reason I switched to traditional is because of the simplicity. Cant beat a one piece wood stick bow in my opinion. I will probably change my mind at some point, but that's where I'm at as of now.

Tradchef

WKR
I prefer wood bows but again...like said above....shoot what you prefer or what feels the best. I’ve tried a few ILF rigs and they are sweet but I enjoy working with my bowyer a lot and just killing shit with basic equipment is awesome. The concept of one riser and unlimited interchangeable limb options is a nice feature of ILF. But for me.....I’ll stick with wood. I’ve had no issues filling my freezer every year. Good luck in your choice.

I started my switch to read to keep things simple. That led me to ordering a Stalker Coyote XT. I absolutely love that bow and I shoot it well. HOWEVER, if I had the money to spend, I’d be buying an ILF ASAP. The idea of being able to run a springy rest to fine tune makes me curious to see how well I could make it shoot. The overall tunability of those bows is without a doubt better than a wood bow, and accuracy is king.

I don’t have the experience that most guys do, so I just pay attention to folks like Snyder. He is using an ILF and he has the ability to shoot whatever bow he wants. I’m going to assume that there is a good reason for that.

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear I’m not the only one bouncing back and fourth. I know stalker makes the apex. But if I’m going wood I would rather just have a traditional
Bolt down or one piece. I agree the elevated rest and tuning ability is the biggest portion of the gain in accuracy. Just something about putting a lot of work into getting comfortable with one wood bow and really tuning arrows, (after playing with ilf and have a much better understanding) seems so rewarding and fun.

Nothing like a kill with a wooden bow and a hand crested wooden arrow. I’ve bounced around with ILF and wooden bows. I’m shooting a Dryad ACS wooden recurve now with carbon arrows. I’m sure I’ll bounce back to a ILF when I see that 19” Bernardini Mamba pop up in the classifieds. I want one of those.

I think at the end of the day, do what makes you happy.
exactly!

i have had a couple metal ILF risers, and wanted to like them, and the adjustments and grip options are cool, but when i reflect on what i like about trad bows, i'm drawn to wood bows.

if i want ultimate precision, i'll grab my mach 1, it's the right tool. i personally don't like all of the adjustments on a metal ilf riser, i like a regular wood bow... it is what it is, what you have to work with is straightforward.... don't need to wonder about adjusting limb pad angles, what rest to shoot.... i like the simplicity of a wood bow.

i kind of went all in on an ilf rig with morrison max6 limbs recently, it's all i have been shooting. first i had the limbs on a Das tribute, now a wood ilf riser, now i'm back to the drawing board shooting my Blacktail... it's so simple, there is nothing to worry about or adjust besides nock height, brace height, and the arrow.... that's all there is.... no limb pad alignment, no tiller adjustment..... you can build up the shelf on my Blacktail, but i would rather just get an arrow dialed in without doing so.

i like the simplicity of a wood bow, and they are sure a lot better looking (there are some nice looking wood ilf risers) super high tech adjustable metal ilf risers are not why i got into shooting single string, i have given it every opportunity, i just don't think it's my thing.

i may eventually sell my max6 limbs, and if i do, i will probably pick up a Stalker or Widow

exactly!

i have had a couple metal ILF risers, and wanted to like them, and the adjustments and grip options are cool, but when i reflect on what i like about trad bows, i'm drawn to wood bows.

if i want ultimate precision, i'll grab my mach 1, it's the right tool. i personally don't like all of the adjustments on a metal ilf riser, i like a regular wood bow... it is what it is, what you have to work with is straightforward.... don't need to wonder about adjusting limb pad angles, what rest to shoot.... i like the simplicity of a wood bow.

i kind of went all in on an ilf rig with morrison max6 limbs recently, it's all i have been shooting. first i had the limbs on a Das tribute, now a wood ilf riser, now i'm back to the drawing board shooting my Blacktail... it's so simple, there is nothing to worry about or adjust besides nock height, brace height, and the arrow.... that's all there is.... no limb pad alignment, no tiller adjustment..... you can build up the shelf on my Blacktail, but i would rather just get an arrow dialed in without doing so.

i like the simplicity of a wood bow, and they are sure a lot better looking (there are some nice looking wood ilf risers) super high tech adjustable metal ilf risers are not why i got into shooting single string, i have given it every opportunity, i just don't think it's my thing.

i may eventually sell my max6 limbs, and if i do, i will probably pick up a Stalker or Widow
You, my friend, have gone full bore down the trad rabbit hole, and I salute you! Hahaha! I remember a few years back when you said you were thinking about just trying trad out.

You, my friend, have gone full bore down the trad rabbit hole, and I salute you! Hahaha! I remember a few years back when you said you were thinking about just trying trad out.
yeah, rabbit hole is an understatement! i look forward to the day i just have a setup i'm not considering changing.... i just want a bow i'm happy with, and an arrow setup i'm happy with. i'm still in the phase that i feel like i might be missing out on something..... i need to just settle in.

i do think my Blacktail should be the hunting bow this year, myself and that bow have some unfinished business in the roosie woods. ordered some arrows yesterday to build when they get here. gonna try to keep them around 10gpp, i like how it shoots that weight of arrow. got some 400 spine rampages in transit, and a couple new strings, and my focus is officially redirected, haha.

that bow is crazy quiet and forgiving. love the draw and speed of the Morrisons, but ultimately, there are bigger factors in the woods.... the Blacktail has them. i think it will be a pretty effective hunting tool with some 550ish gr arrows. the arrows i have been shooting in it are 660gr

yeah, rabbit hole is an understatement! i look forward to the day i just have a setup i'm not considering changing.... i just want a bow i'm happy with, and an arrow setup i'm happy with. i'm still in the phase that i feel like i might be missing out on something..... i need to just settle in.

i do think my Blacktail should be the hunting bow this year, myself and that bow have some unfinished business in the roosie woods. ordered some arrows yesterday to build when they get here. gonna try to keep them around 10gpp, i like how it shoots that weight of arrow. got some 400 spine rampages in transit, and a couple new strings, and my focus is officially redirected, haha.

that bow is crazy quiet and forgiving. love the draw and speed of the Morrisons, but ultimately, there are bigger factors in the woods.... the Blacktail has them. i think it will be a pretty effective hunting tool with some 550ish gr arrows. the arrows i have been shooting in it are 660gr
Don't sell the Morrison just yet. You may get the speed bug again! And so goes the trad life.

Beendare

WKR
Don't sell the Morrison just yet. You may get the speed bug again! And so goes the trad life.

I'm. selling off some stuff on AT right now....man I have a lot of different risers and limbs that I can't possibly use. I took a simple sport...and made it complicated- sheesh.

I'm mojo'ing for a Stryker 19" riser....maybe use the $$ from this other stuff. Hunting is my only sport I spend $$$$ on...so no sweat.

I keep upgrading limbs on my ILF....then just setup a bow for 3d with a shorter PO....using my old Mid level SF Elites and a 19" Tradtech riser...and dang that's a nice shooting combo....and the limbs aren't expensive at all, $200. [now WNS Carbon/Foam C5 limbs] It makes me rethink the expensive limb thing.

I might even have to take that target bow out and try to shoot a hog with it and see how that 388gr arrow performs from a 43# bow.....with some freebie old Bear BH's I have.

___

Felix40

WKR
I have no interest at all in ILF bows. Everything that got me interested in traditional archery involves wood. It feels better and looks better. Plus I’m a big fan of making things as simple as possible.

I have to admit it makes me chuckle when a certain celebrity calls an ILF with carbon limbs a “Stickbow”.

Last edited:
Wood bows look like a rabbit hole I’m ready to jump into.

Without spending a small fortune am I going to find anything better than this: Martin Hunter

Last edited:
Wood bows look like a rabbit hole I’m ready to jump into.

Without spending a small fortune am I going to find anything better than this: https://www.archerytalk.com/threads/martin-hunter-recurve-50-62“-amo.5980521/#post-1113444678
the link doesn't work...

i have been noticing some nice trad bows for good prices lately, it seems. normally when i'm bow shopping, everything seems 10% off of full price.... then i buy something, then all the good deals come back.

Beendare

WKR
I have no interest at all in ILF bows. Everything that got me interested in traditional archery involves wood. It feels better and looks better. Plus I’m a big fan of making things as simple as possible.

I have to admit it makes me chuckle when a certain celebrity calls an ILF with carbon limbs a “Stickbow”.

Ok you are one of those purist line draw types. Many of the custom guys use Carbon in their bows...why is ILF different?

Here are a couple of my ILF Bows....
D72F2242-2ECB-4F5C-B823-B11FEAE99905.jpeg

sneaky

"DADDY"

You do you. A wood riser ILF is a good blend of both worlds. A single string bow, wood or metal, is a stickbow. Get over yourself. The damn trad police make me shake my head sometimes. Usually the ones who are the most vocal can't hit crap with their wood bows anyways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk