I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

I’d really like to get one of these, the shop is about an hour west of me. I just can’t justify it for the little bit of use it’ll see.

3forks

WKR
You nailed it. My hope is to get us hunters here in the lower 48 to see the advantage. My brain has been churning with ideas. Seems like we are only limited my our imagination.
I have a big back-country hunt planned. If I can keeo the raft long enough, I want to float the river and hunt a couple islands. I may even take it next weekend to on my antelope hunt (float the river to acess public land surrounded by privte)

You may already know this, but a lot of the larger islands in Montana are private property.

I use my drift boat to access some islands to hunt; but most big enough to have pheasant and whitetails on them are private.

Definitely, not trying to discourage you or anyone else, just an FYI.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
View attachment 208575
@Steve O Here's the boat without my 100lb fishing buddy. I'll see if I an move the seat forward next time and post another pic.

My pack rafting days were pre internal storage; that is an amazing innovation. You may want to use your slightly inflated and rolled up sleeping pad or an extra floor the same way to use as a backrest when you are more centered. The extra length on them now probably improves the paddle ability 1000%

669F1830-B182-43F3-A0B4-362604920E9F.jpeg

They can for sure get you into some REMOTE places.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may already know this, but a lot of the larger islands in Montana are private property.

I use my drift boat to access some islands to hunt; but most big enough to have pheasant and whitetails on them are private.

Definitely, not trying to discourage you or anyone else, just an FYI.

No, I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine bought a DIYpakraft. If I remember right... I think they advertise a 30 hour build? (needs fact checked) I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

The big secret it this: you can buy used boats from rental companies at the end of season. I found 3 boats last week. Regular retail price was $1099 and they were selling them for $250 with a spray deck and free paddles. Amazing savings.
I went the route of ordering the kit and building my own. It took me a lot longer than 30 hours to build and I’m pretty handy when it comes to DIY builds. I like my raft but I don’t trust it to take on a hunt or long voyage. I’ve used it no problem in creeks and rivers for fishing but it’s just not what an alpacka is. It takes quite a bit of practice building them to be able to get it right. After all my time put into the build, just buying an alpacka would be well worth the money.

Alpacka rafts seems are sewn then welded which makes them a heck of a lot stronger than just being welded like the DIY version. I’ll be purchasing an alpacka in the near future and just keeping the one I built as a play around for small waters around home.

MeatBuck

WKR
Been watching randy newberg or gritty bowman?

Just remember when they catch on, you’ll be looking back, thinking about how things used to be before you blew up your own spots by posting this stuff on public forums.

There’s something to be said about keeping the advantage in your favor.

When your float trip turns into “Bumper boats”, you’ll be looking for new advantage.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. Randy, Gritty, Lampers and MeatEater are all using Alpacka rafts.

KineKilla

WKR
So you drive somewhere and launch your raft...then you raft into "hard to access" areas to hunt...then you raft your way out of those areas somewhere.....how do you get back to your truck? Planning to have someone drop you off at the head waters maybe?

Also, around here all the water runs away from the areas I would want to get in to. Not sure I could paddle my arse upstream for long enough to get where I want to.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the main hunt, we’ll drive to the trail head, hike, raft across the lake then hunt.

But yeah, if You’re floating down stream you’ll need to walk back or get a ride.

NUGGET

WKR
This has to be one of the weirdest threads I’ve read in over 20 years of reading hunting forums. I don’t know if this is a thread about a guy super excited to use a packraft or if it’s marketing thread for alpacka. Regardless it’s weird as Fock.

alpackas are cute. I have a pr 49.

HookUp

WKR
This thread is nuts. I saw the Alpacka mule in the first Gritty mule deer hunt and went ahead and purchased a mule for back pack fishing and waterfowl. I loved it so much due to the small size when stored I bought an X42 as well. I would like to big game hunt with it one day but its not in the plan. I have been been floating and fishing this summer and will be waterfowl hunting with it this fall. I doubt many people will buy them to really impact hunting to a noticeable level...they are nearly $1000.

We float the river with my kids and wife once a week and that pays for there use for me. We also put our 70 lab between my son and I when she needs a break swimming.

The Alpacka's strengths are light weight, can haul more than their rating and pack-ability. Their weakness is they don't paddle great (no raft does) and are somewhat fragile (that's because they are lightweight can't have it both ways). Considering I always wanted Kayaks and have zero place to store them the Alpackas are a win.

My Alpacka rafts are one of my favorite pieces of specialty gear and I can't wait to take them to Alaska, cross mountain rivers and keep floating hot summer days in them for years to comes. Alpacka says they are a 20 year boat which is quite amazing.

And a big shout out to Gritty and Lampers for using them in there hunts.

Last edited:
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The days are counting down ... the clock is ticking.

I’ve been daydreaming and planning and thinking about this hunt for 11 years now. It’s finally going to happen.
Give this podcast a listen. These are the companies I’ve decided to trust with this hunt. It might not end with a punched tag, but it’ll definitely be an adventure and that’s all I really want.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
8930618b07898f208f0a8e0099f18cd4.jpg

7a0a2ce702a6b6792d2a150912ecaf4a.jpg

Trial runs with the Kifaru Fulcrum

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
7a0cb36230a363d3d6de8c60953fd4ee.jpg

Just because the Fulcrum is nearly 10,000 cubic inches doesn’t mean you should fill it up...

270c5c3158bd65f02634ed031d4ff2a3.jpg

It took me a couple tries before I figured out how to keep my bow centered on the pack.

981b1220c555dcb1cb4304b699e2869d.jpg

a864dfecefd6195078f56fdfe47e1b1c.jpg

6acab5374a03b2452979ebbbddc1d4a2.jpg

The inside of the pack stayed nice and dry. Even in the hail, snow and rain.

23db706e13d56b6c6e2e3bd56b56bc83.jpg

The guide lid gets the most use. All the essentials are easily accessible. Also turns into a mini backpack to take on a stalk.

0f87227a3f7e64e548459b899872eb44.jpg

e8eec17ca5012e9157b87eae228d5a77.jpg

I’m looking forward to writing a review for this pack. There’s a lot to say, but here’s one big takeaway: it carries a heavy load!! The weight still sucks. It’s still heavy, but it doesn’t hurt. My body isn’t sore. Pretty comfortable ride.