I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive used Alpacka pack rafts (Caribou) on a few fly fishing trips in salt water; They're incredibly durable and easy to inflate/deflate. They can also haul a surprising amount of gear. A great investment if you have access to good water to use them on. Were using them in Mexico at the end of January, I'll post up pics upon return.

That would be awesome if you would post pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this on my phone...Ill do a better job of pics on the next round...if you look close you can see a bonefish tail or two in the pic. The 4 week countdown is on....IMG_3039.jpg

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]DK23! [/mention]

It’s a prototype that will be avail in 2021.
It’s called the Ranger.
It fits in line between their Mule and their Forager.

My Ranger (in the stuff sack and the refill bag) weighed right around 11.5 lbs.

The Ranger has 3 different denier options for the tubes. Each option would weigh differently.
210d Nylon/Polyurethane
310d Nylon/PU
420d Nylon/PU

The floor is 840d Nylon/PU

The storage compartment does work well.
Keep in mind that you’ll want to balance out the load as much as possible.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. I’m sure you’re close on that guess. I’m not familiar with the Yukon Yak but it looks like it would fit in my back pocket!

GabeAK

FNG
My buddy bought a forager last year and it’s an impressive boat. We took it moose hunting but didn’t get one. We’re doubling down this year and I’m going to buy one and and we’ll see if we can pull a moose and a caribou or two out with them. I’ll post pics for sure!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback from everyone. Yes! Share your pics! That would be awesome and it would give us more fuel for kool adventure ideas.

GabeAK

FNG
I plan to buy the BHA kuiu verde forager, FWIW.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the YouTube route or call Alpacka. I’m not a whitewater, hard core kind of guy. So I wouldn’t be able to answer that very accurately. Just not enough experience to relate very well.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the YouTube route or call Alpacka. I’m not a whitewater, hard core kind of guy. So I wouldn’t be able to answer that very accurately. Just not enough experience to relate very well.

Alpackaraft_hunt
has some good pics and videos on Instagram. I just watched a guy in a foreger blow through some class 3 rapids with a full load. The video said they were in class 3 all day. I just picked up an explorer 42. I have no experience so I hope I can take on some class 2 after a few lessons and some practice. Have some good class 2 and 3 close to home. Kind of wishing I held out for the ranger but the elxplorer is a few pounds lighter

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
A few notes from a Forager and Classic owner, who’s also used another rental classic for a trip.

The self bailing floor adds weight and a risk of getting your butt damp, but never to the point where you’ll be soaked. If you’re floating low water, where you might be in and out all day to drag/walk your raft over bars, the self bailer is nice as splashing a bit of water as you get in and out isn’t a big deal.

For mountain hunts, I float in wiggys glacier socks so I can get in and out in a pinch. When weight isn’t an issue, I wear full on waders and boots.

The cargo fly is the best thing about alpacka rafts, the second best part being the inflation bag system.

Lot of respect for Larry, and the PR 49 seems high quality, but I’ve yet to put one through its paces. I agree with his honest assessment that it’s made with a different purpose than Alpacka’s stuff.

tdot

WKR
[mention]DK23! [/mention]

It’s a prototype that will be avail in 2021.
It’s called the Ranger.
It fits in line between their Mule and their Forager.

My Ranger (in the stuff sack and the refill bag) weighed right around 11.5 lbs.

The Ranger has 3 different denier options for the tubes. Each option would weigh differently.
210d Nylon/Polyurethane
310d Nylon/PU
420d Nylon/PU

The floor is 840d Nylon/PU

The storage compartment does work well.
Keep in mind that you’ll want to balance out the load as much as possible.

Do you know what weight material your boat was made of? I didn't notice that in the review.