I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
And as far as the cargo fly... Those zippers are bomber and are on most of Alpacka's boats now. They do affect overall bulk as it is much more difficult to tightly roll the boat. I have one on my Fjord Explorer and opted to not have one on my Explorer 42. Anyway.

I agree. Both Alpacka and Kokopelli have been using the zippers for a long time now. If they didn’t work, they would have dropped the design a long time ago.

I think your earlier comment about hiking was wrong though. The high mountain hiking is exactly what this thread is about. You’re in the right place. The whole goal (for me) is to access country with a boat that I couldn’t realistically access on foot. For me, that means high mountain country.

Thanks for the feedback. After starting this thread, it really makes me want to try the PR. Side by side comparison style reviews are always best in my opinion. And you nailed it: There really is a boat for every scenario!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JungleDan

Lil-Rokslider
You can order a dozen small discs with nylon loops from Alpacka, to glue on some critical lashing points on the bow and middrift. That'll pimp the Alpacka's out close to a hunting rig. Without 'em you're just making do and also sitting in the hull on the floor. Neither are ideal places for warmth and paddling comfort...but the tie down points will enhance your harvest transport success. Obviously you didn;t need them on your trip, but future ones when you add meat...

sharp rigs and light.
class act

Broomd

WKR
Really enjoyable thread, thanks for posting!
I just picked up an Alpacka Explorer 42 and I'm anxious to get out in it.

TFrank

WKR
Man I have wanted one of these for awhile, but realistically I dont need it nor would use it that often. They are just so damn cool.

A pedal fishing kayak on the other hand….

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using it a lot this summer. Tossing it in the back seat and head to a small lake somewhere.

We’re using it this week on a raft trip for storage and extra seating. I’ll try to post some pics when we’re done. I’ve loved it. Super handy.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just finished an overnight camp trip with the fam. We used the Alpacka Ranger as a dry bag and an extra raft.
6 sleeping bags
6 ground pads
3 tents
Towels and clothes etc.

d96242b87b456844e3367209af79d6ec.jpg

8416e569acb5bfb5182a34e9e6dbc86b.jpg

Rokwiia

WKR
Here’s the material info on the boat I used in the review:

The material used in the Ranger is our proprietary 210-denier high count nylon. With the cargo fly, it weighs in at 10lb 1oz without the backrest or backband. This fabric will be used in our standard Ranger option. If the Ranger is ordered in the Kuiu Verde 2.0 fabric, that is made of our 330-denier Cordura Nylon.

Custom packrafts can be ordered through our Custom Lab program alternative fabrics, but the 210 and Kuiu Verde 330 will be our standard fabrics when the product launches. Both very durable and can withstand a lot!

There is a trade off of weight vs durability when choosing the 210d, 33d, and 420d.

I can understand why someone who regularly uses their packraft on whitewater would choose 330d or even 420d. If using it on flat water, is 220d sufficent?

What benefit would either 330d or 420d provide for use on flat water?

how durable are they if you're banging off of rocks are you holding your breath everytime hoping it doesn't start a leak?!

jpage1003

FNG
I still really want a packraft from this company, I'm just not sure if they have something that would skirt the line between summer backpacking trips in light whitewater as well as carrying capacity for a backcountry hunt packout. My budget definitely doesn't allow to purchase both.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rent or borrow.
It’s a good option. Touch it. See it. Test it out. Then you can have Some confidence in a decision. Might help?

Mt Al

WKR
I still really want a packraft from this company, I'm just not sure if they have something that would skirt the line between summer backpacking trips in light whitewater as well as carrying capacity for a backcountry hunt packout. My budget definitely doesn't allow to purchase both.
I agree with Howard Mee - and that rhymes.

I've built three DIY packrafts from diypackraft.com, they're great, but an Alpacka would be worth the money IMHO. Renting one, even if you have to have it shipped to you, is a great way to test one out before dropping the big bucks.

As for a hunt packout it depends what you're hunting and the stream/river you're coming out on. I'd recommend watching some of Larry Bartlet's Pristine Venture Youtube videos. Fun to watch and gives some perspective on how much space a moose or caribou takes up in a raft, plus dragging across gravel bars, etc.. If I hunted in those conditions in Alaska or Canada, I'd be shopping Pristine Ventures for a Cork or similar.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like they literally make a raft for every occasion, but no one can make a single raft for every scenario. (Obvious. I know)

The Alpacka I have seems to be bullet proof. Of course it isn’t, which is why you pack a patch kit, but I never felt nervous running into sticks and rocks or dragging it across the gravel.

jpage1003

FNG
I live in Western Montana and definitely would start out using a pack raft for backpacking/float trips, but would like to eventually evolve that into a Wilderness hunt/float in the Bob or similar. So ideally, something with the capacity to carry an elk is appealing, but if that kind of capacity makes it too heavy and/or less enjoyable to use on those summer whitewater trips than even the capacity to haul out gear and a nice buck would be a thrilling DIY hunt. Great advice on rentals though, there’s a good shop in Missoula for a small variety of Alpacka, but kind of limited on options. Either of you know of other rental options out there?

I live in Western Montana and definitely would start out using a pack raft for backpacking/float trips, but would like to eventually evolve that into a Wilderness hunt/float in the Bob or similar. So ideally, something with the capacity to carry an elk is appealing, but if that kind of capacity makes it too heavy and/or less enjoyable to use on those summer whitewater trips than even the capacity to haul out gear and a nice buck would be a thrilling DIY hunt. Great advice on rentals though, there’s a good shop in Missoula for a small variety of Alpacka, but kind of limited on options. Either of you know of other rental options out there?
Check their website, they have a dealer locator. There are places in West Glacier and Browning that rent.

Mt Al

WKR
So ideally, something with the capacity to carry an elk is appealing, but if that kind of capacity makes it too heavy and/or less enjoyable to use on those summer whitewater trips than even the capacity to haul out gear and a nice buck would be a thrilling DIY hunt.

I haven't compared weight differences between a white water/single person raft or one that can carry out a boned out elk, but something to keep in mind is the total weight differential, which I don't think would be much. Regardless of what the raft is you still have the same paddle, PFD, pump bag, seat, patch kit, etc.. I would guess it would only be a few pounds different.

In Washington you’d likely be legally required to have a PFD and noise maker like a whistle.
Reading this thread, the review, and watching YouTube videos of folks using these things I gather other states must not have those legal requirements.

Do these things have a HIN?

What light weight and compact lifejacket are folks using when packing in these things?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member

There are several rental companies here in Kalispell. There is one in Columbia Falls too. I think they primarily use Kokopelli for rentals?
Where are you located? If you’re near Kalispell or willing to make the trip, I’d let you use my Ranger for a weekend.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Washington you’d likely be legally required to have a PFD and noise maker like a whistle.
Reading this thread, the review, and watching YouTube videos of folks using these things I gather other states must not have those legal requirements.

Do these things have a HIN?

What light weight and compact lifejacket are folks using when packing in these things?

What is HIN?

I saw a guy two summers ago that wore a fly fishing vest that doubles as a PFD. Couldn’t have weighed more than 10-12 oz.

My float trips have primarily been crossing lakes so I didn’t use a PFD. Not wise, but I usually have another boater, the seat on my raft floats and I typically had a piece of gear in the boat that would float as well. (Not a recommended practice)

Htm84

WKR
Pretty sure he means a Hull Identification Number. Or a VIN for a boat and no these don’t have any identification numbers.

I’ve wondered about the pfd thing up here. I know the troopers are pretty strict about having them on boats. Just not sure if these inflatables require you to carry one. Most of the creeks I’ve floated in mine are pretty shallow so I don’t use one. Probably should though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What is HIN?

I saw a guy two summers ago that wore a fly fishing vest that doubles as a PFD. Couldn’t have weighed more than 10-12 oz.

My float trips have primarily been crossing lakes so I didn’t use a PFD. Not wise, but I usually have another boater, the seat on my raft floats and I typically had a piece of gear in the boat that would float as well. (Not a recommended practice)

I'm usually wearing waders when I'm in my raft, far that reason I wear a pfd. I'm a good swimmer so sometimes on flat water Ill skip the PFD but sometimes I wear it just because I always harp on my wife to wear hers (she sucks at swimming). If i'm just skirting the edge of a lake or something, I usually wont wear a vest. When I'm out hunting and tired/fatigued, I usually opt to load/unload the raft rather than run anything questionable.