I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never take an unproven weapon into battle!

***Review Added 10/4/20*** Alpacka Packraft Review

Gear check

18a8f7fb5cc71221d249ff947cfe1cea.jpg

d5d7aea566985e20d7d253c3d71181b6.jpg

abd7b7e6cdcab9ffc4034ac767fdad81.jpeg

68e1fa3ea172b565711ef2827f069ae3.jpeg

Who knew...?!? Water could be the key to winning the land race to find new hunting areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s pretty awesome. How is it to paddle?

I have no clue what I’m doing. This was my first time ever in a lightweight packraft. I had no problem heading up and down and across stream. It paddled best with one of my kids riding up front. (I’m not small)

What is that? It looks like a cross between my PR49 & Yukon Yak. I own both. What's it weigh?

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have no clue what I’m doing. This was my first time ever in a lightweight packraft. I had no problem heading up and down and across stream. It paddled best with one of my kids riding up front. (I’m not small)

Your gear will take the place of the kid when solo; otherwise scooch up towards the center and you will have an easier time. I had a Fjord Explorer well over a decade ago. They have really improved the Alpackas, I’m getting the itch to have another.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks cool, but like most things Factory packed then unpacked, getting in packed again is a chore in its self.
How did it pack back up ?
The set up and inflation is stupid easy and FAST. The pack up took me about three tries to figure it out. For now, I'm folding the raft in half with the TiZip open, and I roll it up. No sweat.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good job, yes you have found another tool, here in AK those have been the secret weapon for a looong time.
You nailed it. My hope is to get us hunters here in the lower 48 to see the advantage. My brain has been churning with ideas. Seems like we are only limited my our imagination.
I have a big back-country hunt planned. If I can keeo the raft long enough, I want to float the river and hunt a couple islands. I may even take it next weekend to on my antelope hunt (float the river to acess public land surrounded by privte)

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your gear will take the place of the kid when solo; otherwise scooch up towards the center and you will have an easier time. I had a Fjord Explorer well over a decade ago. They have really improved the Alpackas, I’m getting the itch to have another.
HAHA! Yes, agreed. I'm a little out of balance (or ballast or whatever) when solo and empty. The inside of the boat will be filled with gear on the way in and hopefully it will be filled with meat on the way out!

@Steve O, have you used boats with the inernal storage before?

Mt Al

WKR
They (packrafts) are the key, been benefiting from them for several years. But like everything else they catch on and you get a crowd where you were once alone. Just reality!

There's a thread elsewhere that covers DIYpackraft.com. I've made a few, they're great, but the Alpaca's are worth every penny! I thought yours was a Forager, which I'll be buying someday.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
They (packrafts) are the key, been benefiting from them for several years. But like everything else they catch on and you get a crowd where you were once alone. Just reality!

There's a thread elsewhere that covers DIYpackraft.com. I've made a few, they're great, but the Alpaca's are worth every penny! I thought yours was a Forager, which I'll be buying someday.
A buddy of mine bought a DIYpakraft. If I remember right... I think they advertise a 30 hour build? (needs fact checked) I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

The big secret it this: you can buy used boats from rental companies at the end of season. I found 3 boats last week. Regular retail price was $1099 and they were selling them for $250 with a spray deck and free paddles. Amazing savings.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMG_8770.JPG
@Steve O Here's the boat without my 100lb fishing buddy. I'll see if I an move the seat forward next time and post another pic.